Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 23-05-2018, 22:19   #106

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar
Re: Safety and Cruising

Quote:
Originally Posted by goat View Post
Sea of Cortez is awesome. Come see Steinbeck's stomping grounds. Been here a couple years, haven't been killed once.

goat
I dunno, mate... we had some really tasty goat tacos down there! Better take care!

Jim
Old 23-05-2018, 22:26   #107

Boat: 1967 Pearson 35

Statistically being hurt even in supposedly dangerous places is significantly less than the dangers people assume everyday, like driving 80mph bumper to bumper twice a day

While it is true that peoplease understate dangers they have no experienced they also overstate the ones they have. If you grew up in a dangerous environment you're more likely to feel threatened.
Cyrus Safdari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-05-2018, 01:56   #108
cruiser

So many Americans worried about being robbed of some small change in their pockets when out cruising, when they actually do get robbed of hundreds or even thousands of dollars each time they see a medical doctor or check into a medical facility here in the USA.

I see it every day working as a nurse... Americans getting mugged everytime they see a doctor.
Kenomac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-05-2018, 02:09   #109

Boat: Nonsuch 30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seabeau View Post
Actually here in the US, if you exclude those murdered while engaged in illegal activities including drug and human trafficking, the violent crime rate is as low as that of western European countries.
Do you think that there are no murders in western European countries linked to illegal activities? Have to compare apples to apples.
Old 25-05-2018, 09:10   #110

Boat: Pearson 34-II

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatman61 View Post
Jim.. I guess my 'pretensions' come from being a 'lower decker' in the Navy and what could be described as a working seaman for much of the time I have been involved in the world of pleasure boating..
It just boils down to perspectives really.. most 'yotties' I knew when working on the UK South coast came down to their yachts in the marinas and motored to the nearest nice bay and dropped the hook for the w/end before motoring back Sunday avo to head back to their businesses in London and the Midlands..
Non 'yotties' came down and rowed out to their moorings and sailed their little hearts out all summer and come winter shiver, scrape, swear and paint or varnish their boats till spring and the return of the 'yottie'..
Yotties like to flock.. thats why theres so many Yacht Clubs.. and if they can tag a Royal in front.. eat your heart out Playboy Magazine...

My B,
What Romantic notions you have of the "working man." In my world, we call these notions stereotypes. Good luck and safe sailing . . . . Rognvald . . . P.S. I do, however, love your use of the word "poseur" in a previous post. . . however . . . hardly language for a respectable lower deck man!
Old 29-05-2018, 15:49   #111
CF Adviser

Boat: Van Helleman Schooner 65ft StarGazer

There is no doubt in my mind that the world is getting more dangerous

For cruisers who travel outside group protection zones, it seems logical that their exposure to truly desperate forced migrants will increase.

This from a CSIS report just out

"The size and scope of the global forced migration crisis are unprecedented. Almost 66 million people worldwide have been forced from home by conflict. If recent trends continue, this figure could increase to between 180 and 320 million people by 2030. This global crisis already poses serious challenges to economic growth and risks to stability and national security, as well as an enormous human toll affecting tens of millions of people.*

These issues are on track to get worse; without significant course correction soon, the forced migration issues confronted today will seem simple decades from now. Yet, efforts to confront the crisis continue to be reactive in addressing these and other core issues. The United States should broaden the scope of its efforts beyond the tactical and reactive to see the world through a more strategic lens colored by the challenges posed—and opportunities created—by the forced migration crisis at home and abroad.
CSIS convened a diverse task force in 2017 to study the global forced migration crisis. This report is a result of those findings."
Pelagic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-05-2018, 18:07   #112

Boat: Rafiki 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pelagic View Post
There is no doubt in my mind that the world is getting more dangerous

For cruisers who travel outside group protection zones, it seems logical that their exposure to truly desperate forced migrants will increase.

This from a CSIS report just out

"The size and scope of the global forced migration crisis are unprecedented. Almost 66 million people worldwide have been forced from home by conflict. If recent trends continue, this figure could increase to between 180 and 320 million people by 2030. This global crisis already poses serious challenges to economic growth and risks to stability and national security, as well as an enormous human toll affecting tens of millions of people.*

These issues are on track to get worse; without significant course correction soon, the forced migration issues confronted today will seem simple decades from now. Yet, efforts to confront the crisis continue to be reactive in addressing these and other core issues. The United States should broaden the scope of its efforts beyond the tactical and reactive to see the world through a more strategic lens colored by the challenges posed—and opportunities created—by the forced migration crisis at home and abroad.
CSIS convened a diverse task force in 2017 to study the global forced migration crisis. This report is a result of those findings."
On the one hand, I don’t disagree with the assessment, and the predictions. But on the other hand, I’m not convinced (perhaps naively so ) that this will affect my cruising lifestyle.

These very real issues of forced migration, and the backlash this produces, are mostly centred on dense population areas. These are already places I have little desire to visit. Urban areas, and generally dense population centres, hold no attraction to me. I like to be were few people choose to go.

I do expect international travel of the sorts now open to small boats will become more restrictive. But I can’t see a time when currently sparsely populated areas suddenly become major draws for the masses.
Old 29-05-2018, 21:39   #113

Boat: Catalina 470

At the risk of being a little gloomy, my concern is future economic woes will amplify these issues, the gap between rich and poor as well as the unsustainable economic path we are currently on. Also foreign policy by certain countries isnt winning friends and influencing people for the better.

BUT I still believe the world is currently more than safe enough to circumnavigate. Ones biggest risk is not living due to trying to avoid all risk.
daletournier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-05-2018, 22:30   #114

Boat: PSC Orion 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Cate View Post
I dunno, mate... we had some really tasty goat tacos down there! Better take care!

Jim
Now I'm nervous. What's a taco de cabeza anyway?
goat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2018, 00:20   #115

Quote:
Originally Posted by gamayun View Post
IMO, this is the answer. We generally respond to aggression with aggression (get the gun or run!), but the trick might be to disarm the other - "flip the script," if you will. In social psychology, it's called non-complementary behavior. Responding in a way that is not expected will throw off the other person and will often disarm them. This is a great podcast with a few stories about it: https://play.podtrac.com/npr-510307/...ayer=true&dl=1 (FYI - this link downloads a large MP3 file. You might want to go Invisibilia's website to their July 15, 2016 podcast called Flip the Script, if you'd like it to open in a browser except you won't be able to stop/start it at will: https://www.npr.org/podcasts/510307/invisibilia)
I came back to revisit this thread. One, for my own edification.

Two, to tell that it was a Brazilian barkeep, a Spanish introloper, and me an American, in an Irish pub. Ain that grand! (or perhaps it was me the one who didn't belong)

Three, a story. I remember a young stud wanting to beat the tar out of me. Oh, what fun I had reeling him in then letting him out then reeling him him. With words, you see. It helped that he was a bit sloshed and young. My offense? Why merely for being the boyfriend who stood his ground agin his girlfriend's boyfriend. It seems the young jack was a friend of the stalwart boyfriend. My word, what mirth hath cupid. Anyway, it was here when the idea began to cook, to take form. That would be the idea which gamayun calls 'non-complimentary behavior'.
Richard5 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cruising, safety