Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-07-2010, 10:06   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kordie View Post
I am sure I will figure out a way.

Nothing stops me anymore.
Good attitude.

In the US, drugs like morphine are very tightly regulated. As a physician, if I prescribe "a lot" to an individual, I will get into situations that could result in the loss of my license to prescribe drugs: obviously not something I'd want to do.

Likewise, I see a lot of people in the emergency department who are drug-seeking: Trying to get opiate drugs for a variety of vague, ill-defined and unprovable symptoms. All physicians have to deal with it, and we have a sensitive detector for it - so walking into a clinic with a story about how you were prescribed opiates in Aus isn't going to go over too well - at least except in terms of originality.

What I'd suggest is have your physician correspond in advance with physicians at your ports of call, advising them of your specific diagnosis and prescription needs. Getting the drugs will then be easier, and you will also have a documented history of getting and using appropriate amounts of the drugs in different countries. BTW, attempting to walk into a clinic with a letter from a physician in another country (even an English-speaking one) won't work without prior contact that can be verified.

Good luck!
Healer52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2010, 10:11   #17
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Research vessel for a university, retired now.
The laws of countries where the narcotics laws are not over the top are generally written to differentiate between personal use and those who want to sell a large amounts for profit. Being perceived as a distributor puts you in a much higher criminal category for the more rational countries. I don't see worrying about going into the more rational countries if you have a prescription and are not carrying a large amount. Otherwise, I would steer clear of the countries with the extreme narcotics laws and inhumane prisons. These same countries tend to have very unfair judicial systems as well.

I feel for your situation. Unfortunately, I don't think there is a perfect solution.

Life begins where land ends.
David M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2010, 10:26   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by David M View Post
The laws of countries where the narcotics laws are not over the top are written to differentiate between personal use and those who want to sell large amounts for profit. I don't see worrying about it if you have a prescription and are not carrying a large amount. Otherwise, I would stay clear of the countries with the extreme narcotics laws and the really nasty prisons.
Unfortunately, that would include the US. The laws concerning schedule-II drugs are over the top, and involve mindless unaccountable bureaucrats at the DEA telling physicians what their patients need. And the amount of drugs a cruiser would carry (especially if in a pain-management regimen) would certainly count as "dealing weight" in the US.
Healer52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2010, 11:37   #19
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Research vessel for a university, retired now.
Its all a matter of what one thinks is extreme. Having some libertarian beliefs, I tend to agree with you to a degree. Many countries though have far more extreme laws and penalties than the US. We don't have truly horrid prisons here. Nor do we behead people or cut off hands for narcotics offenses.

Life begins where land ends.
David M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2010, 14:40   #20

Boat: Gulfstar 53 - Osiris
And some countries have little and some no restrictions on getting "any" drug over the counter at the local Pharmacia. The main impediment to getting the needed drug from the local Pharmacia is being able to pronounce the name in Spanish (or other local language) and/or having an "empty" box from your previous supply greatly simplifies the procedure. Doctor prescriptions are not necessary. And of course, prices are a fraction of USA prices.
- - However, building a long term supply this way can get you in trouble when you arrive at another island/country that is not as lax about prescription drugs.
osirissail is offline   Reply With Quote