Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-12-2015, 09:55   #91

Re: S/V MARATONGA missing in Atlantic

Hi Steady,

Nope, nothing found, nothing seen, no news at all...... but we don't give up, Fighting to get navtex messages up again. Emails to shipping companies for look out and so on .....

I never knew how much bureaucracy and red tapes families of missing ones have to fight and conquer to get anything done or get any answer at all

Keeping hope high with a fighting spirit,

Thanks for asking

Carla
cloggieboots is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2015, 11:08   #92

Boat: Bristol 47.7

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkJ View Post
No I did not receive them. They were received by a guy in the UK monitoring my voyage with his premium subscription to MarineTraffic .com
OK, thanks. And congrats on another successful single-handed passage.
Exile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2015, 11:09   #93

Boat: Bristol 47.7

Quote:
Originally Posted by cloggieboots View Post
Hi Steady,

Nope, nothing found, nothing seen, no news at all...... but we don't give up, Fighting to get navtex messages up again. Emails to shipping companies for look out and so on .....

I never knew how much bureaucracy and red tapes families of missing ones have to fight and conquer to get anything done or get any answer at all

Keeping hope high with a fighting spirit,

Thanks for asking

Carla
We're keeping our hopes high too, Carla.
Exile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2015, 11:35   #94

Boat: a sailing boat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muckle Flugga View Post
AIS is a VHF based signal. It cannot at present be tracked beyond line of sight to another AIS station. To my knowledge there is no network of satellites tracking AIS signals. Therefore it cannot be tracked far "offshore".
"...
Through such research and development activities at (name of company removed), AIS signals can now be detected by a satellite in a low earth orbit and provide a global capability for monitoring all AIS-equipped vessels using a satellite constellation and an extensive network of ground stations.

..."

Clearly. These are two opposing opinions.

AIS signal can be tracked by satellites and a number of companies offer such service. Track'ability of B class units is worse than that of A class units BUT it is done (see tracking of Jane Socrates or of Tomasz Cichocki after their sat phones and trackers failed).

At least one of the companies stores historical data (I have read about 6 mths value) on their servers and can retrieve some past data.

However, Maratonga was likely not equipped with AIS.

b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2015, 14:03   #95

Boat: Leopard 40 (new model)

Quote:
Originally Posted by cloggieboots View Post
I believe that is a fair opinion, but IMHO we should not just take tragedy as a given .

I feel sorry for those who are lost and their families, but I believe the the learning for the rest of is that a crew can make their own luck if they:

- have a working EPIRB and VHF onboard
- leave a proper float plan with accurate information and instructions with someone ashore who is a sensible person and knows a bit about offshore sailing emergency procedures
-have a boat registration in good order from a registry that works well in emergencies that affect boats in their registry
- do not have prior history of not complying with the rules of the countries from which they may later request assistance, or requesting assistance that should not be necessary if the boat is well prepared and well operated.

Sent from my GT-I9192 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
svlamorocha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2015, 17:29   #96

Boat: 55' sloop.

Quote:
Originally Posted by barnakiel View Post
"...
Through such research and development activities at (name of company removed), AIS signals can now be detected by a satellite in a low earth orbit and provide a global capability for monitoring all AIS-equipped vessels using a satellite constellation and an extensive network of ground stations.

..."

Clearly. These are two opposing opinions.

AIS signal can be tracked by satellites and a number of companies offer such service. Track'ability of B class units is worse than that of A class units BUT it is done (see tracking of Jane Socrates or of Tomasz Cichocki after their sat phones and trackers failed).

At least one of the companies stores historical data (I have read about 6 mths value) on their servers and can retrieve some past data.

However, Maratonga was likely not equipped with AIS.

b.
Well it makes sense that this should be the case. VHF was used for voice comms on the moon missions. I should simply have googled it rather than using my out of date knowledge. Tech move fast these days and I am getting old. Apologies. It appears however the services are paid and subscription based.

Still as you said it is unlikely to apply to Maratonga in any case.

Very sad to hear that Maratonga is still missing. It does demonstrate the importance of having long range comms when ocean crossing, however. The CR campaign was effective in part because of the known circumstances which were communicated to a shore station as the craft began to experience difficulty, and the brief transmission of PLB data.
‘Structural engineering is the art of modeling materials we do not wholly understand into shapes we cannot precisely analyse as to withstand forces we cannot properly assess in such a way that the public at large has no reason to suspect the extent of our ignorance.’
Muckle Flugga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-12-2015, 03:06   #97

Hi All,

There is news .......
Grasping at straws, my friend Monique called the phone company from her husband's mobile and asked if there had been any action on the phone since July.

The answer was shocking ..... YES .... but they only could look 3 months back .... but they confirmed that there had been an outgoing message within the last three months from his phone.........

They, right at that moment, experienced a system crash ....... and afterwards told Monique, they could not give her the information for she is not the person to whom the phone is registered

Now she is trying to find the right way to officials to get to this information.

Praying she gets this real real soon .........

Carla
Old 30-12-2015, 05:17   #98

1) You can ask you SAR organization from your country to get this information thru an official channel.

2) Get your lawyer talk to them.

Given the repeating pattern, makes one think how these sat telephone companies can act without due emergency (like now) procedures in place. If they claim person X cannot get this information, they should inform you WHO CAN. And it cannot be only the registered owner as these phones can be routinely used in emergency related situations (or else this is what the company claims) and so the registered owner is likely the one in distress.

b.
Old 30-12-2015, 05:52   #99

Hi Barnakiel,

She has written to the Chancery ánd Foreign Affairs of Argentinia......

Just sooooooo much time and soooooo much red tape again !!!

I also don't know how anybody would be able to find out from where the message was sent from this mobile phone......???

I assume they would have had to be somewhere close to an antenna to pick up signal in order to send a message???

Carla
Old 30-12-2015, 06:02   #100

I don't really want to pour water on the fire, but there are a few things to consider.

The most obvious is that the SIN card number and/or the phone number have been re-issued as they have been away from home for so long.

To narrow this down you would have to know the exact date when a call was received from the gentleman. If more than six months have elapsed then the number will likely have been reused.

Chris

P.S. Before I went sailing I was a mobile networks engineer, so more or less know what I'm talking about.

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Littlechay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-12-2015, 06:08   #101

Mobile phones leave tracks that allow the operator to identify the exact area (not point) from where the signal was picked up. This is a rule in the US and in the EU. I do not know what the situation is elsewhere.

b.
Old 30-12-2015, 06:08   #102

Hi Littlechay,

yes in principle you are right, just this is a mobile with contract. Every month it is paid, so for the contract terms the number stays with Raul whether he uses it or not. And according to the mobile company the sms message was sent from Raul's phone within the last three months

Carla
Old 30-12-2015, 06:36   #103

Quote:
Originally Posted by barnakiel View Post
Mobile phones leave tracks that allow the operator to identify the exact area (not point) from where the signal was picked up. This is a rule in the US and in the EU. I do not know what the situation is elsewhere.

b.
Does this apply also to a signal outside of US or EU?

So far we have no idea from where it was sent or where to........ basically we don't know anything, except that the Argentinian phone company Movistar (the biggest) told Monique that a sms message was sent from Raúl's number within the last 3 months. That makes for september 29, october, november untill yesterday december 29...... last SPOT contact was July 26 ...... pfffff
Old 30-12-2015, 06:36   #104

Ok fair enough provided the contract is maintained.

SMS is not the most reliable thing in the world though. However with the right court orders the location of the phone could be checked at the time and even the contents of the message retrieved.

Littlechay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-12-2015, 06:41   #105

Quote:
Originally Posted by Littlechay View Post
Ok fair enough provided the contract is maintained.

SMS is not the most reliable thing in the world though. However with the right court orders the location of the phone could be checked at the time and even the contents of the message retrieved.

That is true ..... and now let's hope she gets the info she needs as fast as possible.........

Actually bizarre there is no short cut or distress way in those matters for a fast action......

Tags
Tonga