Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-03-2011, 11:27   #16

Boat: Morgan, center cockpit sloop, 44 - Enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kettlewell
No, there are constant false DSC alerts that the Coast Guard often can't track down, possibly because the radios aren't registered or hooked up to a GPS. On a weekend in New England there are at least a couple of times a day when the CG has to call all around on CH 16 trying to determine who is setting off the alert and where they are located. The alarm sound is so bad that I sometimes turn off the radio if someone onboard is trying to take a nap--not what you're supposed to do, but like I said the alerts never seem to be real emergencies. Sometimes the alert just goes off for no apparent reason. I'm not against DSC. It's just that the current implementation is not ideal. I hope to soon get one of the updated 2011 VHF radios that just went on sale. They are supposedly much improved over the older DSC ones.
What you have here is one of those types that let's his kid yammer on the radio or thinks it cute to hold the mic key open on 16.

They have put a junk MMSI in the radio like 111111111, not connected it to a GPS and think it's cute to hit DISTRESS. If the Rescue 21 system is not active in your area it soon will be and eventually the CG will track the source down. I would not want to be them when they do as they are looking at serious federal charges with stiff penalties.

Your are right the radio makes sure you hear it!

To my knowledge class D is the latest DSC specification for VHF. It is fairly new but has been around a few years. If you are aware of a more current "class" please share. Class D was a vast improvement over the earlier specifications.

Your friend,
Mark

Your friend,
Mark
SV Enough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2011, 11:30   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by boasun
One problem not be addressed here is: YOU have to be Ten PerCent smarter then the toys you are playing with. And a lot of these Magellan want-a-be can't even find the on/off button for their toys.
We will always have folks that use a road atlas for a chart but we can still hope and maybe educate. We may be doing some of that here.

Your friend
Mark
Old 02-03-2011, 11:31   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailmonkey
I wouldn't say I'm resistant to it.......The old Apelco radio still has stellar range and works. When it breaks I'll get the ais/dsc super radio but not a moment sooner.
Fair enough.

Your friend,
Mark
Old 02-03-2011, 11:36   #19

Re: Resistance to DSC VHF

Do the Coast Guard, police, FWC and other on the water support organizations monitor SPOT? I follow a couple of acquaintances that have them but they would be waiting a good long time before I would think of calling anyone, should they stop moving. Maybe some owners have friends/family that Keep close watch on them? Or do I have it wrong and the SPOT signals are monitored by the CG, etc?
Greg S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2011, 11:37   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by delmarrey

And a SPOT would tell where you were even after the boat had sunk. So, it's a toss up on what to really have.
I also have a SPOT and highly recommend it! When near shore or on inland waters where the Golden hour is a factor time is of the essence. If your DSC is working it is hands down the fastest way to get help.

Out of VHF range SPOT or EPIRB is the way to go. But I would still trigger my SPOT and hang onto it in any situation if I need help, it can't hurt. This isn't and either/or exclusive discussion, when you need it use any and all means to get someones attention.

Your friend,
Mark
Old 02-03-2011, 11:41   #21

Boat: Finnsailer 38

Here's a link to a Coast Guard bulletin about the new DSC radio requirements that kick in for any radio sold after this month. I just received my 2011 West Marine catalog and they tout all their new radios that meet the new more stringent standards.
Old 02-03-2011, 11:49   #22
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Cal 28 "Happy Days"
Send a message via Yahoo to capngeo Send a message via Skype™ to capngeo

Quote:
Originally Posted by SV Enough View Post
Your VHF was purchased before the mid 90's.
Nope it's almost new, but it is not a "marine" radio, it is a business band VHF that can tune to marine freqs..... Yes I know it's not type accepted for that service before the flames start.
Old 02-03-2011, 11:52   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg S
Do the Coast Guard, police, FWC and other on the water support organizations monitor SPOT? I follow a couple of acquaintances that have them but they would be waiting a good long time before I would think of calling anyone, should they stop moving. Maybe some owners have friends/family that Keep close watch on them? Or do I have it wrong and the SPOT signals are monitored by the CG, etc?
SPOT sends prearranged text messages prewritten by the user to a list of email addresses entered by the user on the SPOT web site.

There are two categories of text message selectable by one of three buttons on the SPOT.

OK: where you let an email distribution know everything is alright. It automatically adds a google URL that if clicked shows where you are.

HELP: where you have a problem and need assistance. Again it goes to a prearranged email distribution. The google link is auto is included so they can see where you are and you can put in additional info such as Tow Boat US phone number, your towing policy number and other things that might help the recipient get you the help you need.

911: where you need the Marines sent in, something is seriously wrong. This goes to the SPOT center and they dispatch appropriate help as local as they can. You can also have information for the call center database such as next of kin, contacts, family members, medical condition, family Dr. Phone, drug allergies, insurance policy info such as medical.

Your friend,
Mark
Old 02-03-2011, 11:53   #24
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Cal 28 "Happy Days"
Send a message via Yahoo to capngeo Send a message via Skype™ to capngeo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg S View Post
Check out the SPOT web site

SPOT monitors the "911" calls and notifies the authority having jurisdiction
Old 02-03-2011, 12:03   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by capngeo View Post
Check out the SPOT web site

SPOT monitors the "911" calls and notifies the authority having jurisdiction
It looks like for about $100 a year Spot will call 911, who will then call the CG with your position.

DSC will instantly call the CG, police, Fire, FWC and every nearby boater AND give them your position on the chart-plotter, if they have it hooked up. All for free.

Nothing against the SPOT, but I guess I'll go with the DSC.
Greg S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2011, 15:00   #26

For those that have or get a DSC VHF these are the USCG MMSi for various location with Rescue 21 active. Find the one closest to you and put it in the radio phonebook.

The bottom two are special MMSI for anywhere in US water including Sea Area A1 and the International MMSI all nation respond to in there waters and Sea Area A1. One or both also need to be in the phonebook.

Rescue 21 VHF DSC MMSI Numbers
Sector/Group MMSI
Astoria 003669910
Baltimore 003669961
Delaware Bay 003669905
Hampton Roads 003669922
Jacksonville 003669962
Long Island 003669931
Miami 003669919
Mobile 003669914
New Orleans 003669908
New York 003669929
North Bend 003669911
Port Angeles 003669904
St. Petersburg 003669917
Seattle 003669938
Portland. 003669937
Key West 003669918
Houston/Galveston 003669915
Charleston 003669907
North Carolina* 003669906
Boston 003669901
All USCG coast stations in the United States 003669999
International MMSI number designated for all coast stations 009990000
Old 02-03-2011, 15:07   #27

Boat: No boat, looking again.

Quote:
Originally Posted by boasun View Post
One problem not be addressed here is: YOU have to be Ten PerCent smarter then the toys you are playing with. And a lot of these Magellan want-a-be can't even find the on/off button for their toys.
There's an on/off button! Wow, I learn something new everyday.
troppo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2011, 15:19   #28

Boat: No boat, looking again.

I think the nxt VHF I get I will get one with DSC and set it up. I have not thought about it before, I am usually the calm one in any crisis, but in a bad one I may go to pieces or it may be me unconscious and my sailing buddy freaking out. Seems like a good idea to make use of the technology.
troppo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2011, 15:30   #29

I have a 1997 Simrad RS8300 VHF that has the red SOS button and GPS feeding information to it. It does not have the Selective Calling function of the later units. I have never had to use it.

There is no way to test it. I am told that it is illegal to press the button to send an SOS with no emergency even if you call the CG ahead of time. Fourteen years later what is the chance that the MMSI number is still in it, and that it would transmit GPS data?
Attached Files
File Type: doc RS83001.doc (62.5 KB, 84 views)
St. Elsewhere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2011, 15:35   #30

Boat: grampian 26

Quote:
Originally Posted by delmarrey View Post
And a SPOT would tell where you were even after the boat had sunk. So, it's a toss up on what to really have.
It would certainly make it easier to find the body.
perchance is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
dsc, vhf