Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-03-2011, 09:57   #121

Re: Resistance to DSC VHF

I want full functioned one about the size of a hand-held with a full keyboard for under $100. Got any of those?
Greg S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2011, 10:07   #122
mrm

Boat: crew on Bavaria 38 Cruiser

In this price range, maybe Garmin VHS 300 AIS? VHF 300i AIS Marine VHF Radio / Hailer - International

Original list price was crazy, but a closeout price looks OK, considering the ability to receive AIS data. No keypad, though, but the unit hides nicely behind panels and only the mic is visible.
mrm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2011, 11:06   #123

Boat: Morgan, center cockpit sloop, 44 - Enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrm
In this price range, maybe Garmin VHS 300 AIS? VHF 300i AIS Marine VHF Radio / Hailer - International

Original list price was crazy, but a closeout price looks OK, considering the ability to receive AIS data. No keypad, though, but the unit hides nicely behind panels and only the mic is visible.
Now would be the time to shop. I think it is March 25th that the old class D can no longer be sold? So between now and then the clearance prices of the old units will be the best, or they will be stuck with them.

Your friend,
Mark
SV Enough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2011, 11:49   #124

Boat: It’s in French Polynesia now

Quote:
Originally Posted by SV Enough View Post
Some of what you are seeing are differences between the old cheaper SC-101 DSC spec used in the US awhile back, it is a stripped out version of the class D spec. SC-101 I think is no longer available in the US having been replaced by class D which the rest of the world uses. Later this month an updated class D which includes a "test" feature will become all you can buy in the US.

Your friend,
Mark
Can you elaborate more on this "test" feature?

And maybe they should make a DSC VHF GPS plotter in one. It sure would save a lot of wiring connecters spread all over the boat. Or would that just be too expensive?
Old 05-03-2011, 12:05   #125

Boat: Currently boatless

Quote:
Originally Posted by delmarrey View Post

And maybe they should make a DSC VHF GPS plotter in one. It sure would save a lot of wiring connecters spread all over the boat. Or would that just be too expensive?
See here: Welcome to StandardHorizon.com
Old 05-03-2011, 12:08   #126

Boat: It’s in French Polynesia now

Well, how about that! I shoulda donna search first.
Wow! As low as $730. Thats less then my Garmin plotter alone.
Old 05-03-2011, 12:54   #127

Boat: Currently boatless

If they manage to integrate a chart plotter, DSC VHF, and a Class B AIS transponder in one unit, it would be really hard to resist!
Old 05-03-2011, 13:18   #128

Quote:
Originally Posted by delmarrey

I have seen later posts and they are brilliant! For those who just want to replace their current VHF the new class D spec includes among other things a CG Rescue 21 test feature for DSC. I posted the details earlier with a link to a site with the scoop. In essence you routine phonebook "dial" the universal CG MMSI which I also posted earlier and select TEST CALL and you get an affirmative response from the Rescue 21 system that all is working properly :-)

Your friend,
Mark
Old 24-03-2011, 01:25   #129

Boat: Helena 1913

Hello Mark,

Thanks for these wise words on the good use of marine VHF radios. My recently published "Marine VHF Radio Handbook" is a comprehensive guide for all users of VHF sets now participating in the Global Maritime Distress and Safety System (GMDSS).

GMDSS is not only for large commercial vessels (called as SOLAS vessels), but also for small craft and recreational boats. A marine VHF radio with integrated DSC functions is the first choice of equipment to participate in the GMDSS (an EPIRB is the immediate next). Forget about SPOT (it is nice facility to notify the boat's whereabouts, but it is not an universal emergency device).

In my handbook, there are also some details about AIS, AIS-SART and other communication equipments. Most importantly, there is an up-to-date description of the distress procedures as specified by the IMO and the ITU for all seafarers, professional or recreational.

The Coast Guards (or similar Maritime Rescue Co-ordination Centers) around the world handle the distress, urgency and safety DSC calls sent by your by VHF radio, by MF/HF SSB radio or via satellite communication systems, 24 hours a day, 365 days a year. But you have to code an MMSI and connect your marine VHF radio to a GPS source.

And, of course, you supposed to know the basic emergency radio procedures. Are you interested to get a VHF radio distress procedure card showing the DSC alert and the voice Mayday message?

Best regards, Laszlo
Mercz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-03-2011, 04:22   #130

Boat: 2017 Leopard 40

Laszlo I'd be very interested in that card.

Also, since you "wrote the book" can you advise whether a hand-held DSC-capable VHF radio should have the same MMSI as the boat's built-in radio? Or is it better to register it to the dinghy or "portable" and get a separate number?
SailFastTri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-03-2011, 05:04   #131
running down a dream

Boat: cape dory 30 MKII
Send a message via Yahoo to gonesail

i want a fixed mount DSC VHF and would like it to have a GPS unit onboard. why is it so difficult to put a $10 chip in a VHF unit? i know it will need an antennae .. big deal.
Old 24-03-2011, 11:37   #132

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mercz
Hello Mark,

Thanks for these wise words on the good use of marine VHF radios. My recently published "Marine VHF Radio Handbook" is a comprehensive guide for all users of VHF sets now participating in the Global Maritime Distress and Safety System (GMDSS).

GMDSS is not only for large commercial vessels (called as SOLAS vessels), but also for small craft and recreational boats. A marine VHF radio with integrated DSC functions is the first choice of equipment to participate in the GMDSS (an EPIRB is the immediate next). Forget about SPOT (it is nice facility to notify the boat's whereabouts, but it is not an universal emergency device).

In my handbook, there are also some details about AIS, AIS-SART and other communication equipments. Most importantly, there is an up-to-date description of the distress procedures as specified by the IMO and the ITU for all seafarers, professional or recreational.

The Coast Guards (or similar Maritime Rescue Co-ordination Centers) around the world handle the distress, urgency and safety DSC calls sent by your by VHF radio, by MF/HF SSB radio or via satellite communication systems, 24 hours a day, 365 days a year. But you have to code an MMSI and connect your marine VHF radio to a GPS source.

And, of course, you supposed to know the basic emergency radio procedures. Are you interested to get a VHF radio distress procedure card showing the DSC alert and the voice Mayday message?

Best regards, Laszlo
Thank you so much for your contribution. I only mention SPOT as our family gets jumpy if they done hear from us and SPOT has one feature we find indefensible, the OK message. Sometime that can be just as helpful keeping folk calm by reassuring them everything is going well. For an emergency DSC distress, EPIRB, SPOT in that priority order, it can't hurt to trigger all three. If the SPOT gets through it has the ability to convey ar rather considering amount of additional information via the SPOT folks. Med insurance policy info, towing policy info and much more than the MMSI provides room for. But that is all good to know information that won't get what you really need when there is real trouble, some pointed and heading where you are.

Your friend,
Mark Fay
Old 24-03-2011, 11:39   #133

Quote:
Originally Posted by gonesail
i want a fixed mount DSC VHF and would like it to have a GPS unit onboard. why is it so difficult to put a $10 chip in a VHF unit? i know it will need an antennae .. big deal.
I don't know of one but that doesn't mean there isn't what you are looking for, keep looking you may find it.

Your friend,
Mark Fay
Old 24-03-2011, 11:43   #134

Quote:
Originally Posted by SailFastTri

Also, since you "wrote the book" can you advise whether a hand-held DSC-capable VHF radio should have the same MMSI as the boat's built-in radio? Or is it better to register it to the dinghy or "portable" and get a separate number?
The MMSI is a ship identification and for FCC license issued MMSI is tied to the ship's station license and stays with the ship. The new owner should update the license if the ship changes owners.

As for the free US only MMSI I can not speak with authority.

Your friend,
Mark Fay
Old 24-03-2011, 23:51   #135

Boat: Helena 1913

Quote:
Originally Posted by SailFastTri View Post

There is a debate in the working groups of the International Maritime Organization (IMO in London) and the International Telecommunication Union (ITU in Geneva) about the format of the MMSI numbers for handheld VHF-DSC radios.

As you know, the vessel's MMSI number has the MIDxxxxxx format, where MID is the identification of the country. All radio equipment of the vessel should use the same number: VHF radio, SSB radio, EPIRB and AIS, AIS-SART (except Inmarsat terminals, having their own structure).

For handheld VHF sets with built-in DSC (and GPS), there are two proposals:
option A is the MID9xxxxx format, used in the UK, and
option B is 8MIDxxxxx format, proposed by Norway.

Both options have serious difficulties to cope with various situations, such as:
1) A boat has a fixed VHF-DSC and also buys a handheld VHF;
2) A recreational craft has a handheld VHF, and then later acquires an EPIRB;
3) A small craft owner has a 2nd and 3rd handheld VHF;
4) a handheld VHF set used by a small craft is replaced by a fix mounted VHF;
and many more.

The main question is: whether to associate the handheld VHF-DSC radio with the boat or associate with a person.
The situation is similar to the numbering of 406 MHz distress radio beacons, where it is now recommended to use the MMSI numbers for maritime EPIRB on board vessels and use an other (15 or 30 digits hex code) number for personal locator beacons (PLB).

There is urgency to come up with a solution, as the international market expects a spectacular success of handheld VHF-DSC radios, already on the market (in spite of their shorter range and limited autonomy).

My personal preference is to keep the MIDxxxxxx format and forget about any indication whether it is a fix mounted or portable device. Each vessel should have only one MMSI number, the same for all radio equipment. For handheld VHF radios allow the change of the MMSI number, when it is moved to another boat. It is the identity of the ship and its position is vital in an emergency, not the kind of the equipment used to notify the search and rescue services.

Anyhow, it is in the world-wide MARS database, where the MMSI and other information should be available about the ship and its terrestrial and satellite radiocommunication equipments. And MARS is accessible for the search and rescue organizations.
Mercz is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
dsc, vhf