Views: 718
Size:  11.7 KB
Greg S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-05-2012, 20:43   #17

Boat: Norseman 430, Jabberwock
Re: Removing mud from anchor chain

Quote:
Originally Posted by NSboatman View Post
Thanks Guys - I knew I'd seen or heard of something like that Davis device before - it looks like it *might* work. Anyone got any experience with it? I haven't see it in any catalogs recently either - know where to get one?

...sounds like the most common solution is water and a lot of it, with elbow grease where possible.

thanks -
I have one--2 or 3 actualy- and it works well. I lashed it with a small line to the end of a headless carbon fiber golf club shaft, which in turn was glued to an adaptor that connected to my aluminum adjustable scrub brush handle. That way no aluminum is immersed in salt water.
Not sure if they are still available.
ggray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-05-2012, 21:04   #18

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Ellis Flybridge 28

I use a combination rope/chain rode. Some years ago we got a great deal on stainless steel chain so I bought some just because it looked good. I was pleasantly surprised to find that mud doesn't stick to stainless nearly as well as it does to galvanized. I wish I could find more at that price.
Old 24-05-2012, 22:14   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by svWindfall View Post
We use a high pressure (saltwater) washdown hose and spray attachment (garden hose type) to wash the sticky mud before it comes aboard (works good)...it's the attached barnacles that we have to use a hammer to get off!
I've long toyed with the idea of installing a dedicated sprayer nozzle in the bow itself, just below the bowsprit roller, which has a pump that is activated by the windlass 'up' switch. Then, the chain gets a good spray-off each time it's raised, even when the windlass is controlled from the cockpit (which for me is the usual, as I'm typically solo).
rhumbunctious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-05-2012, 04:23   #20
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Lived aboard & cruised for 45 years,- now on a chair in my walk-in closet.
Boat: Morgan OI 413 1973 - Aythya
Re: Removing Mud from Anchor Chain

I seem to be alone with my method of clearing mud from the chain. Like many, we slowly motor toward our anchor and I am at the bow raising the chain. I use the water surrounding the chain to clear the mud. I use a long boat hook to reach the chain and shake it at about ten foot intervals where the mud is present and again when the anchor is just below the surface to clear mud from the flukes. Some might consider this harsh physical labor, but it's part of my "gym membership" that compensates for my habit of lounging in the cockpit and reading for hours.
Old 25-05-2012, 07:01   #21

Boat: Pilgrim 40
Send a message via Yahoo to nitpik Send a message via Skype™ to nitpik

My chain comes on deck through a steel hawsepipe, which begins about a foot off the water, and ends as a hole in the deck directly below the windlass gypsy. I have long been considering drilling and tapping that near vertical pipe for three high pressure water nozzles, 120º apart. With a good pump, this automatic system would wash all the crud off the chain before it even gets to deck level, everything would run out the bottom of the hawsepipe, and I would not get the spray-back from the process. Would still have to brush or spray the muck off the anchor itself.
Will let you know if I ever get around to it - like most sailors, my "to do" list just keeps getting longer!
Old 25-05-2012, 08:10   #22

Boat: Searunner 40 trimaran, WILDERNESS

High pressure (40 psi), high flow, makes quick work of mud, fish blood, and comes in handy for water balloon engagements (range, 30 feet+)
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	6-9-2008 8-47-13 AM_0001-reduced.jpg
Views:	183
Size:	142.5 KB
ID:	41466  
Roy M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-05-2012, 08:40   #23

Manually shaking the chain in the water, really? Must be pretty small chain, not like my 1/2 in. Water pressure is the answer for us. We do not use a salt water rated pump, just a twin to our domestic water pump. This allows us to carry one pump as a spare for both. The domestic pump is 13 yrs in service with only replacement pressure switches needed, the 13 yr old wash down just quit working 2 days ago on our way back north. Currently back dockside and looking forward to doing a little pump trouble shooting.
Old 25-05-2012, 08:41   #24

High pressure deck wash pump and plastic nozzle. Forget brushes..... Get the highest pressure one you can find though.

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-05-2012, 09:38   #25

Boat: Pearson 34-II

So, for the sake of discussion:How much of an issue is mud on the anchor and your decks when pulling the hook in 30 knots on a nasty lee shore? Should a power washer be required equipment for a serious liveaboard cruiser? What seamanlike techniques for mud removal are useful without the use of electrical power and are they still valid today? Where do we draw the line between convenience and necessity? I and another respondent are advocates of the bucket and scupper approach. Is this an outdated method for a modern "cruiser?"
rognvald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-05-2012, 09:42   #26
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Lived aboard & cruised for 45 years,- now on a chair in my walk-in closet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Zarley View Post
Manually shaking the chain in the water, really? Must be pretty small chain, not like my 1/2 in. Water pressure is the answer for us.
I think is is the nature of those on larger power boats, like your 49' DeFever, to use more power; however, with a bow pulpit configuration more common on sailboats, it would be easy to manually shake the mud off even a 1/2" chain. I've done this regularly with 5/16" and 3/4" chain. If you hook the chain and draw it aside with some slack in it, simply releasing the chain will remove the mud just under the water surface. If you're reaching straight down over a wide flared bow I would agree that this could be very difficult. My anchor davit position allows me to be braced in the pulpit and raise the anchor with one hand while shaking the chain at intervals with the boat hook in my other hand. .....'different strokes for different folks.
Old 25-05-2012, 10:21   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by rognvald View Post
So, for the sake of discussion:How much of an issue is mud on the anchor and your decks when pulling the hook in 30 knots on a nasty lee shore? Should a power washer be required equipment for a serious liveaboard cruiser? What seamanlike techniques for mud removal are useful without the use of electrical power and are they still valid today? Where do we draw the line between convenience and necessity? I and another respondent are advocates of the bucket and scupper approach. Is this an outdated method for a modern "cruiser?"
I think it depends on where you are. Carribean? nah, dont need it. PNW or Chesapeake? Definitely worth the cost. I've had mud running down the side decks etc from a chain you cant even see the links in... A bucket will wear your arm off trying to use it. Even a HP nozzle takes minutes to clean it off. Once that smelly mud is in your anchor locker...ughh! I dont view the electrical usage as anything at all... my engine is running when I'm pulling anchor.....

"If you hook the chain and draw it aside with some slack in it, simply releasing the chain will remove the mud just under the water surface."
You're definitely talking about differnt mud than I am. Some of the real sticky stuff is hard to remove with hose pressure. I've not found 100 ft of any size chain (maybe 30 ft of it suspended in water) easy to move from side to side either...?

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-05-2012, 15:03   #28
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheechako View Post
I think it depends on where you are................
I think this is a very wise observation. I would probably learn new skills if I were anchoring in the deep water mud of the PNW. I find my mud when gunkholing on the US East Coast in about 15' of water and shaking the mud from a 20' hanging span. I also keep fairly new chain that sloughs off mud easily and I do shake it with more vigor in the sticky mud.

Tags
anchor