Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 13-08-2012, 04:05   #1
cruiser

Red or White at Night ?

I have recently bought a new marine dual output (red and white) LED torch (the X2) from Exposure Marine - Sailing Torches, finally a torch designed for purpose. I operate nearly all of the time under red light now. I realise that there has always been the debate over red and white and I just though I would see what people thought. I really feel that it has made my night voyages easier and safer, especially with the multiple modes, you can always use the minimum amount of light, red or white. It is also very good to know that when you need it the white light it almost as powerful as my car headlight, I can keep it in my pocket and it floats. LED technology really is changing these safety lights, no more, coiled wires/trip hazards.
britishcruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-08-2012, 06:59   #2

Re: Red or white at night?

There's been a lot of recent research done on this issue and the conclusions are pretty simple--keep the light as dim as possible. A dim red light is better than an equally dim white light, but a dim white light is better than a brighter red light.
denverd0n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-08-2012, 07:04   #3

Boat: Manta 40 "Reach"

I find that I can see better and have a shorter readjustment time using a dim white light vs. a red light. Every person is probably different. The calibration to use in judging is not equal brightness, but rather the brightness required of each to do the task. I find it very difficult to read, etc under red light unless it is fairly bright.

Mark

You do not need a parachute to skydive. You only need a parachute to skydive twice.
colemj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-08-2012, 07:31   #4

Boat: CS36Merlin, "La Belle Aurore"

An old friend of mine, now sadly gone, sailed down the St. Lawrence without proper charts. He used a road map. Freaked him out, every time he went down below to check the map most of the lines on the map disappeared - yes, he had a red light over the chart table. He finally got it but the trip ended badly, with them running aground in a rocky bay which he entered at night, thinking the lights ahead were a small town but actually the lights were behind the hills in front of them. Don't see characters like that much anymore.
Old 13-08-2012, 08:08   #5

Boat: Wildcat 35, Hobie 33

Found as I get older that it is harder to see details under dim red light -- now have to use a bit of white light.
belizesailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-08-2012, 08:14   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Research vessel for a university, retired now.

The pupil is less sensitive to restricting with lower frequency light for the same perceived brightness. White light is a combination of the visible spectrum.

We have had a big debate about this before. Opinions are all over the spectrum, if you will pardon the pun.

Expect to see a lot of posts with a lot of opinions.

Life begins where land ends.
David M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-08-2012, 08:21   #7

Boat: Leopard Catamaran

There was a thread debating this that actualy posted some research on doiferent colored light, and it's effect on night vision. I don't remember the result, but most "night lights" are still red.
capn_billl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-08-2012, 13:09   #8

Boat: HR 40
Send a message via Skype™ to Auspicious

Quote:
Originally Posted by David M View Post
The pupil is less sensitive to restricting with lower frequency light for the same perceived brightness. White light is a combination of the visible spectrum.

We have had a big debate about this before. Opinions are all over the spectrum, if you will pardon the pun.

Expect to see a lot of posts with a lot of opinions.
There are lots of opinions. The facts however are clear. The US military has done a lot of work on this and dimmed white light wins out. The library at any university with a medical school should have the published papers available.
Auspicious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-08-2012, 14:00   #9

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Bestevaer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Auspicious View Post
There are lots of opinions. The facts however are clear. The US military has done a lot of work on this and dimmed white light wins out. The library at any university with a medical school should have the published papers available.
Dimmed white light won out for colour perception (as you would expect) which can be more important than absolute night vision. To preserve the best night vision dim red is best. This is due to the eyes physiology.

Red light is difficult to use, interferes with other equipment, and all colour perception is lost. There are times when these drawbacks means its not suitable, but if you want to preserve your best night vision (and once lost it takes a long time to recover) it is the only option for seeing reasonably fine detail, like instrument numbers, while at the same time preserving the best night vision in an eye.
noelex 77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-08-2012, 05:40   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Auspicious View Post
There are lots of opinions. The facts however are clear.
Exactly. There is no reason to rely on opinions. The subject has been thoroughly researched and the facts are available. You just need to be willing to go and find them. Of course, a lot of people will still insist that what they learned years and years ago is the gospel truth (no matter how wrong it might be).

If you don't want to find the facts for yourself, then read noelex's posting above. To summarize: Keeping the light as dim as possible, while still letting you see what you need to see, is the main thing. Red is better than white, but sometimes white is better when you need to be able to discern colors.

It really is that simple.
denverd0n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-08-2012, 05:54   #11

As a pilot we are taught that it takes less time to recover your night vision if exposed to red lights, more for blue. It has something to do with rods, cones and the chemicals therein. Multicolor charts need white to read properly, but keep it dim and realize that your night vision has been compromised.
harmonytek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-08-2012, 05:56   #12

Boat: ‘01 Catana 401

Quote:
Originally Posted by harmonytek View Post
As a pilot we are taught that it takes less time to recover your night vision if exposed to red lights, more for blue. It has something to do with rods, cones and the chemicals therein. Multicolor charts need white to read properly, but keep it dim and realize that your night vision has been compromised.

Score one for the Bellingham black and white charts and a red light!!!
Sailmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-08-2012, 06:19   #13
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41

i find in my antiquity that a dim yellowish tinged light is perfect for cabin and i can adjust easily. the light in my gps is too bright for accommodation,is WHITE, and is borderline on night settings.
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-08-2012, 06:44   #14

Boat: Carter offshore 35

Don't forget the new LED blue-white for night.
DeborahLee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-08-2012, 06:51   #15

Boat: Cabo Rico 38 / Bayfield 32

I thought this was going to be about whether I preferred red or white wine at night. Guess I need to re-calibrate. For the record, red.
Saltyhog is offline   Reply With Quote