Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-10-2011, 05:58   #1

Recovery MOB Lifesling

A question.

The lifesling we have on board is basically the only retrieval method we have to get somebody back onboard. (we have removable stairs on the side that I do not wish to try unless it is calm). We also have the block and tackle from the same brand.

It is everywhere recommended to attach the block and tackle to a halyard and than hoist via the block and tackle. However, we have an electric winch. Why not attach the halyard directly to the MOB (once he is secured next to the boat) and use the electric winch (of course making sure nobody gets hurt)? More simple, quicker and a much bigger chance of success. Am I missing something?

Thanks, Arjan
arjand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2011, 13:37   #2

Boat: Gib'Sea 302, 30' - Hydra
Re: Recovery MOB Lifesling

Arjan,
The risk is to have the halyard going out of the sheave at the mast head, if the pull is on the side.

Alain
Hydra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2011, 14:25   #3

Alain,
Thank you for the reply.
I had not thought of that!
Merci!
Regards, arjan
arjand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2011, 16:05   #4

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

I can't see why the halyard is more likely to jump the sheave this way than if one hangs a tackle from it and uses that to hoist... same angle off to the side either way.

But if you are worried about this, use the spinnaker halyard. It is designed to take sideways loads and angles. Using the electric winch does require paying attention to things while under some emotional stress, but it sure would ease the job of getting the body back on board.

Cheers,

Jim
Old 06-10-2011, 16:07   #5
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Santana 22

The halyard jumping the sheave is a valid concern. Last time we practiced this I had the students run the halyard through the spinnaker loop and then to the MOB... this isolated the force on the sheave downward not much different than how it is accustomed to be when raising a sail.
SailBerkeley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2011, 11:57   #6

On some boats, there is a greater risk to have the halyard jump the sheave if the halyard moves, in the same way as riding turns occur on a winch only when winching. But if the masthead cage is narrow enough, the risk is nil.

Alain
Old 07-10-2011, 18:36   #7

Boat: a sailing boat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hydra View Post
Arjan,
The risk is to have the halyard going out of the sheave at the mast head, if the pull is on the side.

Alain
Use the spinaker one then?

b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2012, 01:44   #8

I was also wondering why everybody is complicating the situation with the pully system.

Use a spin halliard and grind them up. You could pull 2 or 3 fully grown wet men up on this halliard. When a kite fill when its only 2/3 hoisted the force acting sideways at the top of the mast is alot more than the force of a MOB.
sull102 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2012, 02:56   #9

Boat: Traditional 30

there are lots of ways.. that can be tried.

Mainsheet with the boom acting as a gantry of sorts.
Davits, if you have them. Using them to assist getting the mob onto a marlin board.
Storm jib with foot and clew connected to gunwale- head connected to halyard creating a bag that rolls out as you hoist.http://sailhelp.files.wordpress.com/...1/dsc00075.jpg
ozskipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2012, 03:04   #10

Boat: Traditional 30

just found the boom link.. there is a lot more purchase using the main sheet,
Man overboard - and the answer is: - Yachting and Boating World Forums
ozskipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2012, 13:01   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by sull102 View Post
I was also wondering why everybody is complicating the situation with the pully system.

Use a spin halliard and grind them up. You could pull 2 or 3 fully grown wet men up on this halliard. When a kite fill when its only 2/3 hoisted the force acting sideways at the top of the mast is alot more than the force of a MOB.
On my yacht, there is too much friction on the spinnaker halyard if I use it for hoisting anything heavier than a sail. Moreover, the halyard winches aren't self tailing. Then, a tackle under the boom is much handier for hoisting a MOB on the deck.

Alain
Old 04-05-2012, 15:22   #12

Alain: but what do you do with the sail then?

b.
Old 05-05-2012, 13:45   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by barnakiel View Post
Alain: but what do you do with the sail then?

b.
Barnie,
I suppose you mean the mainsail. If hove-to, the mainsail and the boom are over the lee side, where the MOB is supposed to be. Then, it doesn't matter wether the sail is hoisted or lowered.

Alain
Old 05-05-2012, 14:08   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hydra View Post
Barnie,
I suppose you mean the mainsail. If hove-to, the mainsail and the boom are over the lee side, where the MOB is supposed to be. Then, it doesn't matter wether the sail is hoisted or lowered.

Alain
Slow down Alain: If you are hove too then the sheet is used to hold the main in position and you cannot release it. You release it and the boat will bear off.

PS I believe anybody who claims their spinnaker sheet is only good to hoist the sail should have a good look at their sheaves/blocks. We have the simplest set-up here and we can hoist a heavy barrel with it just by pulling on the falling end (no winch).

PS PS The winch does not have to be a self-tailer. One can lift any weight with any winch as long as they use the winch properly. The only limit is the weight and the reduction/gears of the winch. And, of course, knowing (or not) how to use a winch in the first place.

b.
Old 05-05-2012, 14:47   #15

In fact, I still have to find a volunteer to play the MOB and test this system in a seaway with some real wind blowing. But my yacht finds a steady hove-to position when the mainsail is well swung out, with the sheet fairly slack.

My masthead fairlead for the spinnaker halyard isn't well designed: after the halyard exits from the sheave, it rubs on the fairlead. The friction is negligible when hoisting the spinnaker (so, no chafe on the halyard) but really unpleasant for anything heavier. Maybe I will replace the fitting with something better when I change the forestay.

Then, the cumulated losses in the masthead and 2 deck sheaves makes this a poor solution for hoisting anything really heavy. I prefer using the jib halyard for handling the dinghy but it's obviously not an option when hove-to.

Alain

Tags
mob