Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 14-04-2019, 06:44   #61

Re: Rechargeable handheld LED spotlight

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarinaPDX View Post
That TX3R (I suppose the TX3G version?) is one sweet light. Being able to charge at a high rate with USB-C is really useful for the 26650 - otherwise it is a long charge time. For $110 that is a lot of light.

As lewisa points out there is now an ANSI standard for measuring flashlights. The high-end manufacturers have embraced it as a means to assure their customers that their products really do perform well. After years of utter BS from so many other manufacturers it clears the air. When I commented about the lack of specs being a red flag this is what I meant - if it doesn't have the ANSI specs then there is no guarantee, which is fine for a cheap flashlight but not for a premium light.

Greg
It is this light:
https://illuminationgear.com/product...ac-tx3gpromkii

Even though it says TX3R on the light...

If you want to blind someone, hit the turbo button, or double tap turbo button to strobe / blind them.

If you're walking the dog, hit the mode button (on the left of turbo button) to find one with enough light for the task. Turbo is TOO much and gets quite warm if run for any length of time.

I wish it had a bit narrower beam, but it's not a boat light specifically, but an every day carry light. The recharge option is nice since I no longer need to carry a charger device as I did on the TX25C2 since it used the 18650 batteries. The 26650 battery has much more power, lasts longer, and is brighter if you need it.
stubones99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-04-2019, 14:37   #62

Boat: 31' Cape George Cutter

That TX3G Pro MK II must be one of the brightest single LED, single battery lights ever made. It would be rare that I would use such a light on turbo or high, but there are times (in addition to showing off, that is). It is also one of, if not the, most compact 26650 lights on the market. It would easily fit inside any jacket pocket, but I wouldn't call it an "every day carry" (EDC) light at nearly half a pound; at about half the weight and an inch shorter your TX25C2 and my MH20 are still not EDCs IMHO. I carry a $20 tiny 16340 light in my pants pocket for that (https://www.trustfire.com/en/mini-po...80-lumens.html). Someday I'll buy a nicer Ti mini flashlight.

For really lighting things up I use a Trustfire TR-J18 (https://www.trustfire.com/en/led-fla...extension.html) with 3 x 26650 batteries. It has the heft and feel of an old 3 x D Maglite with around 100x light output - again, rarely used on high.

For the OP's use I wonder if a zoomable flashlight might be best - it would certainly be able to concentrate the beam to a desirable size. I wouldn't want to frequently expose any expensive aluminum flashlight to salt water but an inexpensive one might do the trick. I think a typical 800-1000 lumen zoom flashlight would pick up a buoy at 100m, and if reflective a whole lot more. For $25 this should work well: https://www.trustfire.com/en/led-fla...s-5-modes.html. (Trustfire is a mid-level manufacturer, which is to say it is a real brand of inexpensive flashlights as opposed to the cheap no-name and counterfeit sellers. Still, don't trust their lumens numbers - they are usually well higher than the spec of the LED itself.)

Greg
CarinaPDX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-04-2019, 14:49   #63

How about this one, if you want a white spot downrange?
White laser throw 1000M W10|AceBeam®-Official Site
Old 14-04-2019, 14:58   #64

Quote:
That TX3G Pro MK II must be one of the brightest single LED, single battery lights ever made. It would be rare that I would use such a light on turbo or high, but there are times (in addition to showing off, that is). It is also one of, if not the, most compact 26650 lights on the market. It would easily fit inside any jacket pocket, but I wouldn't call it an "every day carry" (EDC) light at nearly half a pound; at about half the weight and an inch shorter your TX25C2 and my MH20 are still not EDCs IMHO. I carry a $20 tiny 16340 light in my pants pocket for that (https://www.trustfire.com/en/mini-po...80-lumens.html). Someday I'll buy a nicer Ti mini flashlight.
Greg
If the TX3G is too heavy, just put the TC25C2 in the other pocket to balance it out. It is larger, but my hands are larger and it fits well in my hand, with the charging point in the bottom, so you easily know which button is turbo and which is the mode select button.

The TC25 has seen many miles (much of the anodizing is worn off) and when I thought I had lost it, I bought the TX3, then promptly found the TC25 so now I have both. The beam is tighter on the TC25C2 but the amount of light is so much higher on the TX3G that it makes sure you're seen if that's your goal.

I've looked at other lights and seem to stick with Eagletac. They are tough, they are efficient, durable, and very bright. From what I'm told, they honor the legit light output comparisons and are usually in the top few lights on the market.

When I go to the doctor, I show my lights and the deduct a couple of pounds on my weight
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0235.jpg
Views:	75
Size:	402.1 KB
ID:	190068  
Old 14-04-2019, 17:44   #65

Boat: Paper Tiger 14 foot, Gemini 105MC 34 foot Catamaran Hull no 825

Quote:
Originally Posted by stubones99 View Post
How about this one, if you want a white spot downrange?
White laser throw 1000M W10|AceBeam®-Official Site
That would be a very good torch at $250-00, Hahahahahaha
Mr B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-04-2019, 19:57   #66

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr B View Post
That would be a very good torch at $250-00, Hahahahahaha
I can't work out whether this is a brilliant, if narrowly useful, product or marketing BS. They refer to it having an "LEP" emitter, but define "LEP" as "laser excitation phosphor" which is not the commonly used "light emitting plasma" so they are inventing a little. They never say it has an LED although it seems to have one. Laser LEDs do exist, primarily for fiber optic data transmission, so this might be a laser. A normal LED is not a laser; although all LEDs are monochrome their light is neither coherent nor collimated (the 3 requirements for a laser). White LEDs are actually blue LEDs with a phosphor coating which absorbs most of the blue light and re-radiates it as other colors in order to present the illusion of white. So either they are describing a simple white LED (a blue LED and phosphor) and being a bit liberal with the term laser or it is a laser LED and phosphor coating which would make a very narrow beam possible due to collimation. If the latter it would be something very special and possibly worth $250 for someone who requires a 3-1/2° beam angle.

I found another company that also sells "LEP" flashlights: https://www.ebay.com/itm/Weltool-W3-...0/253928907677 It does seem from their description that they are using a blue laser diode ("LD") with phosphor on top. And it is a little more expensive.

I tentatively conclude that it probably is a laser diode solution and hence something special for reaching out with a narrow beam. Whether a beam that narrow, and that expensive, is worth it to you is another matter.

Greg
Old 14-04-2019, 23:06   #67

Boat: Freedom 38

Don't buy NoCry waterproof LED handheld light. Total crap.
gamayun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-04-2019, 05:54   #68
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 422

Quote:
I can't work out whether this is a brilliant, if narrowly useful, product or marketing BS. They refer to it having an "LEP" emitter, but define "LEP" as "laser excitation phosphor" which is not the commonly used "light emitting plasma" so they are inventing a little. They never say it has an LED although it seems to have one. Laser LEDs do exist, primarily for fiber optic data transmission, so this might be a laser. A normal LED is not a laser; although all LEDs are monochrome their light is neither coherent nor collimated (the 3 requirements for a laser). White LEDs are actually blue LEDs with a phosphor coating which absorbs most of the blue light and re-radiates it as other colors in order to present the illusion of white. So either they are describing a simple white LED (a blue LED and phosphor) and being a bit liberal with the term laser or it is a laser LED and phosphor coating which would make a very narrow beam possible due to collimation. If the latter it would be something very special and possibly worth $250 for someone who requires a 3-1/2° beam angle.

I found another company that also sells "LEP" flashlights: https://www.ebay.com/itm/Weltool-W3-...0/253928907677 It does seem from their description that they are using a blue laser diode ("LD") with phosphor on top. And it is a little more expensive.

I tentatively conclude that it probably is a laser diode solution and hence something special for reaching out with a narrow beam. Whether a beam that narrow, and that expensive, is worth it to you is another matter.

Greg
Seems like you have tried a lot of different lights and I especially appreciate the info on lower cost solutions that are good enough for less demanding uses.

But have you tried a Marine Beam light? Of all the lights I've used and seen it has by far the tightest beam and lowest side scatter. They claim rating to the ANSI FL1 and a 4 degree beam angle. You can really use this from the cockpit of a boat without lighting up the sails and decks. At $130 it sounds like a much better deal than the $250 LEP lights.

https://store.marinebeam.com/marineb...or-flashlight/
skipmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-04-2019, 06:18   #69

The military has been using decolumated laser illuminators for years. They can illuminate a target 5 miles away, and with the proper optics, can see the target clearly in a dark night. But they have an almost limitless budget...
Old 15-04-2019, 12:49   #70

I have not looked at the MarineBeam light before. It does seem to be similar to the "LEP" lights at half the price. My only criticism is that it uses D cells, a thoroughly backward solution. They, and others here, claim that this means they will have reliable battery power when they need it. I guess nobody remembers why we use lithium batteries in things like EPIRBS and mobile phones: they last a long time and have higher energy density. Rechargeable li-ion batteries don't self-discharge the way the old Ni-cad and Ni-MH batteries do. This fear-mongering has kept consumers using inferior disposable batteries in inferior flashlights. D cells don't deliver nearly the power of lithium 18650/26650 cells and thus limit the light output (not an issue with this flashlight as its low light output is so concentrated as to be very bright in a very tight cone). And if having pristine disposable batteries on the shelf is important then buy a flashlight that can use either 1x18650 or 2xCR123A batteries, use the 18650 rechargeable and keep a pair of CR123A batteries on the shelf - where they will stay for years because you will likely never need them though they will still be ready long after alkalines have died. Many flashlights come with CR123A batteries instead of the 18650 and after a few years I just started giving them away as keeping them was pointless (I do keep a few charged 18650 and 26650 to swap). Really folks, it is time to move on.

As for the marine application I wouldn't buy such a spotlight. With the exception of reading a paper chart in the cockpit with a low-power small flashlight I almost never used a flashlight under way. The loss of night vision was just too high a price to pay. The tight bright beam of these flashlights will ruin night vision, although perhaps less so than others. Similarly I almost never used my foredeck light underway except as a way of attracting attention, and I have a cutter rig with hanked-on sails so lots of dousing and changing on the foredeck. Of course there have been times that I have used a flashlight, just not often and for me not worth $130. My $15 zoomable flashlight fills the bill almost as well. Fully zoomed in the light is in a very narrow beam which is square and forms an image of the LED itself, just like this one for 1/10th the price.

Greg
Old 15-04-2019, 13:22   #71
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
I have not looked at the MarineBeam light before. It does seem to be similar to the "LEP" lights at half the price. My only criticism is that it uses D cells, a thoroughly backward solution. They, and others here, claim that this means they will have reliable battery power when they need it. I guess nobody remembers why we use lithium batteries in things like EPIRBS and mobile phones: they last a long time and have higher energy density. Rechargeable li-ion batteries don't self-discharge the way the old Ni-cad and Ni-MH batteries do. This fear-mongering has kept consumers using inferior disposable batteries in inferior flashlights. D cells don't deliver nearly the power of lithium 18650/26650 cells and thus limit the light output (not an issue with this flashlight as its low light output is so concentrated as to be very bright in a very tight cone). And if having pristine disposable batteries on the shelf is important then buy a flashlight that can use either 1x18650 or 2xCR123A batteries, use the 18650 rechargeable and keep a pair of CR123A batteries on the shelf - where they will stay for years because you will likely never need them though they will still be ready long after alkalines have died. Many flashlights come with CR123A batteries instead of the 18650 and after a few years I just started giving them away as keeping them was pointless (I do keep a few charged 18650 and 26650 to swap). Really folks, it is time to move on.

As for the marine application I wouldn't buy such a spotlight. With the exception of reading a paper chart in the cockpit with a low-power small flashlight I almost never used a flashlight under way. The loss of night vision was just too high a price to pay. The tight bright beam of these flashlights will ruin night vision, although perhaps less so than others. Similarly I almost never used my foredeck light underway except as a way of attracting attention, and I have a cutter rig with hanked-on sails so lots of dousing and changing on the foredeck. Of course there have been times that I have used a flashlight, just not often and for me not worth $130. My $15 zoomable flashlight fills the bill almost as well. Fully zoomed in the light is in a very narrow beam which is square and forms an image of the LED itself, just like this one for 1/10th the price.

Greg
I understand your preference for rechargeables but fear mongering??? Guess you can see it that way but for my style of cruising I see a valid reason for standard D cells as well. With a burn time of 10 hours with D alkalines in the Marine Beam I don't see that much advantage to rechargables and the need to store one more charger, recharge batteries, sort and store them. I get a small box of D cells and I'm good for a year or more for as often as I use this light.

Your $15 zoomable may make a square image but I doubt very seriously it will have fraction of the range of the Marine Beam.

And of course I don't run around flashing this thing every time it gets dark since any light will impact night vision, no matter how tight the beam. This is not an every day light but for that once in a while need to light up a marker a long way off, to spot an unmarked channel on a dark and stormy night, to spot someone in the water at night and similar situations when it really counts. In that situation this is the right tool for the job.

I keep a small $10 cheapo, zoomable in my pocket for general use, a bigger $40 for a little more light, a few head lamps for working when I need my hands free, and a high power, hand held wide beam light, all the right lights for different applications.
Old 15-04-2019, 13:52   #72

I am not sure if it is still the same today, but all military pilots carried D cell flashlights, and D cell batteries were specified as the only approved lights. This was 10 years ago when I was last involved with life support gear, but that was a requirement, and no one wanted to hear about any better technology since the book said D sized battery flashlight.

I agree, if you have a light that is infrequently used and does not have a soft switch (that uses power all the time sensing on you pressing the switch), then a CR123 is probably the battery to use. They are good for 10 years or more, and have a non-existent self-discharge rate.
If you use alkaline batteries, don't. they ruin gear. Switch to Lithium batteries. You'll get more power from a lithium battery in hot or cold environments, and it NEVER will corrode your gear. Alkaline batteries are guaranteed to ruin your gear, despite manufacturers claims, they still leak and eat up your hardware.
Old 15-04-2019, 16:12   #73

I think fear-mongering is exactly the right term: fear of not having a working flashlight when needed because of using inferior batteries. The problem is that zinc-carbon and alkaline are the inferior batteries relative to lithium metal and lithium-ion. Inferior in terms of energy and shelf life/self discharge.

First let me make a distinction: primary cells (one-time use) and secondary cells (rechargeable). When using a flashlight with a D-cell battery size the choice of primary cells is zinc carbon (why ever would you?) or alkaline, and the choice of secondary cells is older Ni-cad or NiMH (again, why would you?), and LSD NiMH. An alkaline battery has a shelf life of about 5 years with a self-discharge of 2-3%/year. The best LSD NiMH have a self-discharge of 3%/year and a similar shelf life as well as capacity. In other words the performance is almost identical, except that one adds to the landfill and the other can be re-used repeatedly. So instead of going back to the store continuously buy a charger and go for years without spending money and throwing things away. Of course I recommend keeping spares in case prior use has left the batteries low.

It is similar in the lithium world. Lithium metal are primary cells and li-ion are secondary cells. Lithium primaries have a 10 year shelf life, significantly longer than alkalines. Li-ion secondary cells have a 2-3%/month self-discharge rate so practically 1-2 years shelf life before recharging, and a capacity of perhaps 20% less than lithium primaries. Both types can drive a flashlight with higher current and/or longer times than their traditional equivalents (alkalines & LSD NiMH).

Home Depot (and late-night TV) sell "Atomic" flashlights, basic zoom flashlights. They ship with a 3xAAA battery carrier and are a decent if cheap LED light - just not very bright. It turns out they are designed to use 18650 li-ion batteries as well. By replacing the battery pack with an 18650 and nylon sleeve the light is transformed into something very bright, because the lithium battery can provide power at a higher rate. I have done this for a couple of friends - no way would they give the lithiums back.

BTW self-discharge rates for Ni-cads are 15-20%/month and for (non-LSD) NiMH 30%/month. There is good reason to be suspicious based on past form. But LSD NiMH and li-ion batteries are in a different class.

Greg
Old 20-04-2019, 08:49   #74
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
I think fear-mongering is exactly the right term: fear of not having a working flashlight when needed because of using inferior batteries. The problem is that zinc-carbon and alkaline are the inferior batteries relative to lithium metal and lithium-ion. Inferior in terms of energy and shelf life/self discharge.
I guess you can call it whatever you like. For me it's as much convenience as much as anything. Not having to charge batteries, minimizing the chargers I have to store and keep track of and the number and types of batteries. Yes I know standard size lithiums but seems like most rechargeable gadgets I have or see want to plug in, all use different plugs and voltages and some of them are a bit of a pain to pull the batteries out to put into an external charger.

Also I will disagree with your claim that alkalines are inferior. According to all the data the self discharge rate is only 1-3%/year and up to 10 year shelf life. That's certainly comparable to any rechargeable chemistry.

The main downside is they can and do leak. The secret is to not store things long term with batteries installed.
Old 20-04-2019, 17:28   #75

A lesson I have never learned. I have ruined many lights because of leaky batteries. Rechargeable only for me, thank you.
Training Wheels is offline   Reply With Quote