Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 31-03-2013, 12:44   #1

Boat: Hunter 41 - Kava Kava
Raymarine Life Tag

We'll be doing a clockwise cruise around the Delmarva the end of May with several other boats. We'll be going overnight from Lewes back into the Chesapeake. Overnight we'll be in inflatable life jackets with harness attached to jacklines. We don't have an EPIRB or PLB, and were wondering if it were better to get the Raymarine Life Tag system or a PLB or Epirb for the overnight stretch. We cruise inland (Chesapeake) almost all the time, so are looking for best overall safety investment.
truant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 04:41   #2

Boat: Cruisers Yachts 420 Express
Send a message via ICQ to jeremiason Send a message via Yahoo to jeremiason Send a message via Skype™ to jeremiason
Re: Raymarine Life Tag

We have the Raymarine Lifetag System on our boat... The reason is we are doublehanded and frequently sail without buddy boats, so if one of us goes over and the other is sleeping... it could be a nightmare!

When activated the Lifetag sounds a very loud alarm in the main cabin and marks a Waypoint on our chart plotter where the person went in.

With the big panic button on the front, we have also had a couple of accidental activations when someone sits on the unit or leans against a bulkhead.

So if you are doublehanded I would recommend the unit. If you have multiple people on watch, there is no use for it.

jeremiason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 04:49   #3

Boat: 2010 Andrews 28

Have you tested the Lifetag? When it first came out I purchased and installed in anticipation of my young grandkids being aboard. Attached the sensor to a life jacket and through it overboard. It took so long for the alarm to go off that the boat was far away and the jacket out of sight. Returned the system. Hope yours works better.
silversailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 05:25   #4

Boat: Outbound 44

The EPIRB is dealing with a different issue than the LifeTag system. One is a general catastophy on the boat that will summon shorebased help, i.e the CG. The LifeTag deals with a unnoticed MOB and will summon help from the boat. The PLB is basically a smaller EPIRB. Since you are within VHF range for this trip, not sure that a full EPIRB is called for (always nice to have). If I was looking at an electronic system to deal with MOBs, then I'd look at the newer ones that issue AIS SART/MOB alerts. These show up on your AIS display as well as nearby boats.
Focusing on ensuring that the crew is will harnessed and tethered in is far more important than having items like the Lifetag. In bad conditions on a Mom and Pop boat it is unlikely that you will successfully accomplish an MOB recovery. Stay on the boat - tell the crew to stay on the boat.
Old 01-04-2013, 05:28   #5

Boat: Cruisers Yachts 420 Express
Send a message via ICQ to jeremiason Send a message via Yahoo to jeremiason Send a message via Skype™ to jeremiason

When we first installed the unit, I took a unit and walked down the dock. At 25 feet the unit activated and placed aa waypoint on the chart plotter.

I don't think it beats a personal EPPIRB, but it does sound an alarm on board and mark the last known location of the MOB... For that I like it.

jeremiason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 05:33   #6

Boat: Beneteau 393
Quote:
Originally Posted by truant View Post
We'll be doing a clockwise cruise around the Delmarva the end of May with several other boats. We'll be going overnight from Lewes back into the Chesapeake. Overnight we'll be in inflatable life jackets with harness attached to jacklines. We don't have an EPIRB or PLB, and were wondering if it were better to get the Raymarine Life Tag system or a PLB or Epirb for the overnight stretch. We cruise inland (Chesapeake) almost all the time, so are looking for best overall safety investment.
Given the infrequency of your need for offshore safety gear, you may want to consider a EPIRB rental from Boat US. I think it is $65 a week?

Frank
GeoPowers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 06:36   #7

Boat: Bristol 45.5

For a cruise as you describe, why not insure that all of the boats have working DSC radios, hooked to GPS, and properly registered MMSI numbers?

It's pretty easy to teach everyone to issue a distress with the DSC and you'll be in VHF range of help the whole time during the trip, besides it's a very cost effective means of safety that most boats have or should have when doing the sailing that you are contemplating.

Have a great trip.
S/V Pearl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 07:03   #8

Boat: Farr 50

IF you have AIS then the Kannad R10 Safelink units are awesome. Decent range and a 7 year battery life. We have 4 on the boat and feel pretty confident that the boat could at least find the MOB. We test frequently and so far very impressed... One of the best $1200 we ever spent. John
Old 02-04-2013, 07:47   #9

Boat: Hunter 41 - Kava Kava

Thanks for all the input. My wife and I will be doing the first part of the cruise with about 10-12 other boats, and then split from the group when we get back into the southern Bay. We then plan to cruise the southern Bay for a few weeks, and might do the Dismal Swamp - ICW loop. We have DSC, AIS, and new jacklines, so we plan on being hooked in whenever we're in the cockpit. This will be our first overnight sail with taking shifts, so we want to be prudent.
truant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2013, 15:29   #10

Boat: Woodward 47
Try looking up the Mobi alert V100.
It has an alarm and gps and sends a Dsc call out with the missing persons GPS position also calls via voice on VHF to alert any VHF in range of the position and this will continue from memory every 10 minutes for 12 hours or untill turned off. It operates fully automatic once immersion has occurred or you can activate it manually. The pilots on ships and oil rig staff in various countries use them. We bought two.
If you wait for a response from an epirb/ plb you will be in the water for a long time. Your best help is from the vessel you just left and it has your GPS position instantly.
Eenjoy!
fabricator-ken is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
raymarine