Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-01-2013, 10:23   #1

Piracy :-/

I'm reading all these threads about people who get boarded and robbed or worse. And there seems to be two camps: people who are so pacifist that they will give up anything to live and those who are willing to go down fighting.
The other trend is there are those who enjoy destinations and other folks who consider the same places dangerous.
So my thoughts continually revolve around the other issues here: Is there a pattern for those who get robbed? Is there a lifestyle or behavior that targets them? If I were a pirate I would certainly look for Ugly Americans, flamboyant spenders, shiny yachts, and lots of gadgets.
I know it's an over-generalization, but if you look like someone worth robbing, maybe you are!
jared is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 10:28   #2
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 63 custom alloy sloop,macwester26,prout snowgoose 37 elite catamaran!
Re: Piracy :-/

the only people i shoot down in flames these days are trolls..........

peace brother through superiour fire power..............
atoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 10:30   #3
CLOD

Boat: none

Quote:
Originally Posted by atoll View Post
the only people i shoot down in flames these days are trolls..........

peace brother through superiour fire power..............
I don't understand, what are trying to really say
Old 05-01-2013, 10:32   #4
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 422

One point. If you're traveling in a poor region of the globe, unless you are in a 25' piece of junk with rust stains, flaking paint and a half dead, smoky outboard for power you will be a rich American to the locals. Even in a boat like this in some areas you will still be rich compared to local subsistence farmers who may not know where they will get their next meal.

Doesn't hurt to tone down, leave the Rolex at home and make your boat less attractive than the one next door but you can only go so far with this.
skipmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 10:38   #5

Boat: Finnsailer 38

The theme I see in people who are robbed, for the most part, is they are in the wrong place and didn't listen to the cruiser's grapevine. When you have to travel through some iffy area do so in company with other boats, anchor near each other, maybe even set up a watch system at night. We do the same when visiting some dangerous place ashore: first ask around as to what to do, where to go, where not to go, and then do it in a group. In general, thieves and pirates don't like crowds. Vigilance will eliminate most of the problems. Remember too, that it is very easy to avoid the very few areas that have had some serious problems--that is the #1 preventative measure. Don't go there in the first place.
Old 05-01-2013, 10:39   #6
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Lucas View Post
I don't understand, what are trying to really say
i might have become an "ugly brit" now i gave up all my guns,and am unable to shoot first and ask questions later........but instead rely on diplomacy
Old 05-01-2013, 10:53   #7

"We do the same when visiting some dangerous place ashore: first ask around as to what to do, where to go, where not to go, and then do it in a group. In general, thieves and pirates don't like crowds"

I like that approach!!!
Old 05-01-2013, 10:54   #8
Long Range Cruiser

Location: Australian living on "Sea Life" currently in England.
Boat: Beneteau 393 "Sea Life"

Quote:
Originally Posted by jared View Post
Is there a pattern for those who get robbed? Is there a lifestyle or behavior that targets them? If I were a pirate I would certainly look for Ugly Americans, flamboyant spenders, shiny yachts, and lots of gadgets.
Yes there is a strict pattern. Bumping into people who have been robbed in the Caribbean has left an indelible image on my mind that the same mistakes are made over and over again.

I include a murder in Malaysia near Thailand, as well as the Caribbean incidents.

Generally it's folks who anchor a fraction further away from the rest of the mob. It may only be 100 meters.
Generally it's a couple on a normal cruisng yacht like yours and mine with no security screen for the companionway.
Generally the couple first know about it when they are woken with someone at their bed demanding money.
Generally the man has tried to fight back from this disadvantaged position.
Generally the man is injured or killed with the hammer or tool he tried to fight off the intruders with (death by the hammer, concussion with a torch).

Now when I say "generally" I mean there must be other circumstances somewhere but Im stuffed if I remember any!

So when you are at anchor by yourself in a large bay and I sail in I WILL anchor within 100 meters of you for the first night till I can sus the joint out.
In a new country I will hang with the other cruisers till I sus the country and its anchorages out.
In any country I will keep those sus out with my door shown below.

By the way, I am mystified but I cop a lot of forum abuse when I post this photo. What's wrong with securing the boat while you are inside?

Somalia Pirates and our Convoy
MarkJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 10:56   #9
CLOD

Boat: none

Quote:
........but instead rely on diplomacy
How's that working out for you?

Back to the troll topic, I think that crime aganist cruisers is very rare in almost all places. And for those that are frequent it is the place that is the issue and has nothing to do with being a cruiser other than you look to be a good safe easy target!
Old 05-01-2013, 11:03   #10
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

i have allways found that firing off a few rounds into the water as the fishing fleet was leaving for the night generally ensured a peaceful nights sleep in dangerous areas.......
Old 05-01-2013, 11:04   #11

Boat: Finnsailer 38

Quote:
I think that crime aganist cruisers is very rare in almost all places.
+1^^ I suspect we read about almost all the incidents on here, and look at how few there are.
Old 05-01-2013, 11:06   #12
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Lucas View Post
How's that working out for you?

Back to the troll topic, I think that crime aganist cruisers is very rare in almost all places. And for those that are frequent it is the place that is the issue and has nothing to do with being a cruiser other than you look to be a good safe easy target!
these days i like to get pally with the chief of police or customs ,slip them a few bucks and let them do the shooting

how is that for diplomacy
Old 05-01-2013, 11:15   #13

OK! Now I'm starting to get a better understanding of the safety measures taken by people. I don't wanna be a gun toting, fight fire with fire kinda guy or a Ghandi. But I see there are ways to feel safe in areas where cruisers are a target
Old 05-01-2013, 11:27   #14
Armchair Bucketeer

Quote:
these days i like to get pally with the chief of police or customs ,slip them a few bucks and let them do the shooting

how is that for diplomacy
Yeah, when you have staff why do the heavy lifting yerself?

Of course usually takes a little while to warm up those sort of relationships. and they need to be kept fed.
David_Old_Jersey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 11:29   #15

There was a discussion that reminded me of the time I was in Puru taking a physical from a doctor who knew no English and my knowledge of Spanish was still locked in a book. During the 20 minute physical, his car alarm went off 4 times in which he ran to the window to check on his car. It seems to me that crime strikes anyone and anywhere, but the vigilant one tends to survive.