Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 25-02-2013, 21:50   #301

Re: Piracy :-/

Quote:
Originally Posted by tropicalescape View Post
You have just given me a great idea on how to make money while crusing,"Pirate Radio"...
And how would you make money.......I get it get paid to STFU.

https://svgoodonya.blogspot.com.au/
SimonV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-02-2013, 02:15   #302
Armchair Bucketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Group9 View Post
Close. Retired FBI/DEA agent.
Just curious........

........but did the folks working for the DEA think the War on Drugs was winnable? or that recreational drugs themselves were "bad" (rather than the effects of them being illegal: organised / disorganised crime and increased health effects for many users)..........I appreciate that the party line would have been "yes" to both of those!, but just curious as to whether the DEA is full of true believers, or simply pragmatists (hey, the illegal drugs industry bought you a boat and a pension ).

David_Old_Jersey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-02-2013, 08:36   #303
Marine Service Provider

Boat: command yachtsdouglas32

Quote:
Originally Posted by SimonV View Post
And how would you make money.......I get it get paid to STFU.
One would have a transmiter ,show up a few weeks ahead of a regetta or similar event,solicite advertisers,go off shore setup the equitment and start broadcasting,take live calls and any and everything goes! Before 9/11 we would do this in Daytona for the big boat races,biker rallys, etc..We would have to bounce from hotel balcony to balcony,we had girls go around with cardboard signs that would direct people to the call sign and then start broadcasting,play some reggie music,but most often it would be about people slamming the other peoples partys and what was going to be the hottest place to party at the follwing night or where the best wet t-shrit contest was and that kind of stuff..Before 9/11 the way they would catch the people doing it was to look for the antenna on the balcony,after that they used some sort of insturment that would triangulate your position,so they(DJs) would get on air for a while then they would move to a predetermined location after broadcasting for a few hrs..This was a slap on the wrist kind of thing if they caught you back then ,dont know what would happen now,so I would try to do it above board if you were to try it now! As long as you are in international waters I dont think it would be a problem..I am not advocating that anyone should try this or any other kind of work in a country that is not your home! I aplogize for jumping this thread but someone asked how!
Old 26-02-2013, 09:28   #304

Boat: Cal 29
pirate Re: Piracy :-/

Quote:
Originally Posted by SimonV View Post
And how would you make money.......I get it, get paid to STFU.
What Simon Sez
Old 26-02-2013, 09:31   #305
Nearly an old salt

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
As long as you are in international waters I dont think it would be a problem..
UNCLOS allows nations to shut down radio broadcasts aimed at them from the high seas. The days of Radio Caroline are no more Im afraid.
Old 03-03-2013, 08:12   #306
Marine Service Provider

Boat: command yachtsdouglas32

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Crab View Post
What Simon Sez
You strike me as someone that has always "followed the leader and does what "Simon sez" to do! Of course that would be real easy since there arent that many leaders in Buxton NC!
Old 03-03-2013, 08:30   #307

Quote:
Originally Posted by tropicalescape View Post
You strike me as someone that has always "followed the leader and does what "Simon sez" to do! Of course that would be real easy since there arent that many leaders in Buxton NC!

Sorry Cap, you missed the point which was about STFU. But have it your way. I'm through fighting on the Internet. You win. I am a sheeple. Over and out.
Old 03-03-2013, 08:49   #308
Freelance Delivery Skipper..

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Send a message via Skype™ to boatman61

Actually I'da thought suicides are pretty relevant...
How many do they take down before they do themselves...
Seems thats the new form of 'Leaving a Note'...

Born To Be Wild
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 09:36   #309

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatman61 View Post
Actually I'da thought suicides are pretty relevant...
How many do they take down before they do themselves...
Seems thats the new form of 'Leaving a Note'...
I think I read somewhere there are more suicides than car wrecks, cancer, etc. The only problem I have with suicide is when kids/young folks do it. Can't imagine not seeing past the instant awfulness to a kinder resolution. That's always worked for me.

From 35 say, on ... what the hell. It's your life. I think it's a damn shame we CAN'T buy a goodbye pill and save all the trauma and mess and heartache.

Thanks for the PM, TE.
Old 03-03-2013, 10:13   #310
Freelance Delivery Skipper..

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Send a message via Skype™ to boatman61

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Crab View Post
what the hell. It's your life. I think it's a damn shame we CAN'T buy a goodbye pill and save all the trauma and mess and heartache. .
I don't know about young folk.. or old folk for that matter..
Only felt like that once myself..
On a solo crossing 35+ days out... the thought of what I was approaching versus what I was leaving depressed the hell outa me.. a pair of dolphins broke the spell.. but just stepping of in a 'Donald Crowhurst' moment seemed very sane..
The normal is I just get mad so quick depression doesn't get a look in..
As to the Happy Pill.. always been an advocate of that since I saw 'Solyent Green'... Way to go... tripping out to beautiful music in a beautiful setting of choice..
Yeah.. I know.. its not real.. but Life's Like That...

Thats a thought... should they be testing for MORE than Horsemeat in the EU..

Born To Be Wild
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 11:10   #311

Boat: Ericson, 28+
Send a message via Skype™ to Gelfling
Greed breeds violence.....not guns. It is really that simple. Does that make me 'pro-guns`? No. I am also not `pro-greed`(stranger in my own land......sad). Usually focusing on the problem is the only way to find the solution....but by definition, if greed is the problem then violence is the ONLY solution. Catch .22
Old 03-03-2013, 11:13   #312

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatman61 View Post
As to the Happy Pill.. always been an advocate of that since I saw 'Solyent Green'... Way to go... tripping out to beautiful music in a beautiful setting of choice..
I think a time is coming for that. I think Wagner would top my list. I was going to add LOUD Wagner but that would be redundant, nein?

As a young kid during WW2 (the one after the War to End All Wars) my mother said we ate horsemeat when we could get it. And rabbit was a standard. I stopped eating meat awhile back when I heard of "pink slime."

Yesterday a real derelict an oysterman came by with some fresh oysters for sale. Oyster beds are closed due to recent rains plus these all had some red fungus on the shells. He was "pretty sure" this was a good red fungus. First I'd heard or seen of the good red fungus. But e. coli? Not on purpose! It's PIRACY! I TELL YA!
Old 03-03-2013, 11:39   #313

Boat: Sandpiper 565

"Guns should be beaten into plough-type anchors and used only in pirate-free areas."

Does this only score a '3' in the troll-thread count, or can I get an extra point for the CO2 reduction from bullets not fired?
Old 03-03-2013, 11:45   #314

Boat: OEM, proportional

Napkin?
Old 04-03-2013, 08:28   #315

Quote:
Originally Posted by David_Old_Jersey View Post
Just curious........

........but did the folks working for the DEA think the War on Drugs was winnable? or that recreational drugs themselves were "bad" (rather than the effects of them being illegal: organised / disorganised crime and increased health effects for many users)..........I appreciate that the party line would have been "yes" to both of those!, but just curious as to whether the DEA is full of true believers, or simply pragmatists (hey, the illegal drugs industry bought you a boat and a pension ).
I never called it the War on Drugs. I always referred to it as the minor skirmish on drugs. Calling it a war is about as silly as saying you are going to have a war on poverty, or abortion, or child abuse, or genocide, or any other social problem. And, most agents are probably more like the drug dealers themselves than true fanantics, in other words, mercenaries (you almost never meet a large scale drug trafficker who uses drugs, for the obvious reason). You think garbagemen hate garbage? It's just a job.

Not to mention, trying to plug a criminal justice solution, into the drug problem, just like with the terrorist problem, is a losing proposition. The major benefactors of both should be treated as national security threats, and countered asymetrically. The victims, should be treated as victims.

The bigger problem with drugs in our society is what is it about our society, that has made such a large percentage of our population require mind altering substances, to cope with general life.

Think about how badly the average drug user needs drugs. They need them so badly, that they don't care if thousands of people had to be killed in the process of providing them with drugs, they don't care that they are risking losing their jobs, they don't care that they are risking their freedom. That's pretty powerful stuff. There is not one thing in the world I need, or have to have so badly, that I would subscribe to that way of thinking. So, I have a hard time identifying with the motivation and dedication that takes.

So, if we are ever going to get a handle on our drug problem, we are going to have to look at it from that angle. And, no one seems to really want to do that or have that discussion. Not the government, and not the drug users.

And, yes, I did get a sailboat and a pension out of it, so I guess I won my war.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: