Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 18-02-2013, 18:30   #211

Boat: Now we need to get her to Louisiana !! she's ours
Re: Piracy :-/

A Proper Gun Locker, locked in the approved manner, with a Legal Length shot gun, with the proper paper work, is exceptable everywhere we have been !! Including mexico. maybe some of you guys need to read more and post less maybe??
Old 18-02-2013, 19:08   #212

Boat: O'Day 28
pirate Re: Piracy :-/

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobconnie View Post
A Proper Gun Locker, locked in the approved manner, with a Legal Length shot gun, with the proper paper work, is exceptable everywhere we have been !! Including mexico. maybe some of you guys need to read more and post less maybe??

Good one Bob. Yer ears must be burning. This talk has turned up a notch. I'd like to thank the mods for seeing us all though a couple of tight spots.

And thanks Atoll and Lassie.
Blue Crab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-02-2013, 02:11   #213
Armchair Bucketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by goboatingnow View Post
Why in the name of god would you sail in the UK with a gun onboard
It's because I have been reading the Daily Mail .

Quote:
Actually , you don't even need a certificate to a gun onboard in the UK , of its deemed to be part of its equipment. You do need a certificate to buy it or transport it to and from the ship. ( a ship is defined as a vessel that makes international journeys )
So, if I had a decent gun locker onboard (whether required or not I would want one to prevent theft! or unauthorised use - on me!!) and just rolled up with a shotgun onboard (I would need a licence here to get one) then all would be ok? (by ok I mean that gun would not be confiscated (temporarily or permanently) and I would not be locked up!).....would I have to declare it on the way in?

No plans to either get a gun or visit the UK - but yer never know.........

(BTW can get a licence for pretty much anything over here - including stuff that needs a tripod , albeit you likely need a good "reason" (lol!). However I suspect the line is probably drawn at anything shoulder launched ).
David_Old_Jersey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-02-2013, 02:26   #214
Nearly an old salt

Boat: Bavaria 36

Quote:
So, if I had a decent gun locker onboard (whether required or not I would want one to prevent theft! or unauthorised use - on me!!) and just rolled up with a shotgun onboard (I would need a licence here to get one) then all would be ok? (by ok I mean that gun would not be confiscated (temporarily or permanently)
Technically yes, in practice the Border Agency and others have wide powers of interpretation and I suspect would decide each case , on a case by case basis.

My experience in the Med and atlantic Europe has indicated that the what is done is very much a function of the official in charge at the time, in general women officers seem to be very anti-gun and often subject you to hassle and detainment of the firearm, down to officials who themselves are sport shooters and dont have such a gut reaction.

IN the carribrean , only on one trip, we had hassle in ST. Lucia, Antigua and Martinique. ( i wasnt the one doing the paperwork, so I suspect it wasnt always declared).

But yes and Ive said it before a shotgun is the easiest to declare and manage. A pump action or semi auto ( dont like this as they are dangerous and not easily to see if unloaded) is the easiest for the "authorities" to handle and most likely leave it in your possesion. Of course probably in teh very area you need it it will have been detained ashore!!. Lifes like that.

Dave
Old 19-02-2013, 02:31   #215
Armchair Bucketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Group9 View Post
If you have never been shot at, it's hard to put yourself in the shoes of someone who has. If you've never had anyone try to kill you, and think that means it can't happen, good luck with that.
I have never been shot at ...........

Leaving that aside, somehow most people manage to get through life without getting shot at - and they mostly ain't armed. The secret is likely not being dumb as f#ck (the benefits of that never to be misunderestimated ) - and not actively seeking trouble, whether for fun or for business reasons.
David_Old_Jersey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-02-2013, 03:30   #216
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Piracy :-/

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobconnie View Post
This is my theory... clay pigeon shooting is something I took up for a while to keep my eye and reactions in..
It was just a Police/character check and an inspection of the storage arrangements and the licence was yours.. to the best of my knowledge other EU countries are more relaxed.. Spain for example where they'll shoot anything that flies and can be eaten... ever noticed how few birds are around.. apart from city sparrows..
With a shotgun I imagine many countries have on-line registration/licencing facilities in this day and age so application in advance could be set up... it happens every day in air travel.
Thus when you arrive you present everything needed paperwork wise and in firearms/explosives you enter Very Pistol (I luv em) and Shotgun... along with the appropriate paperwork.
Plan your route, contact the authorities in each country, get whats needed and you should be fine...
Customs boards and checks security.. its registered nationally... and the illusory 'Knowledge is Power' is perpetuated..
Untill some drunk 'Yachtie' gets pissed off with the solo sailing bum getting fresh with his crew.. gets his gun and kills him and injures half a dozen bystanders...
Been reading this crap for so long... I Want a Gun Again....

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-02-2013, 04:06   #217
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Greetings and welcome aboard the CF, SunSpray.

GordMay is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 19-02-2013, 11:16   #218

Boat: 45ft Ketch

Piracy is about law-breakers at sea. Is there any country in the world that does not back up the Rule of Law with the ability to use guns?
DumnMad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-02-2013, 11:37   #219
Long Range Cruiser

Location: Australian living on "Sea Life" currently in England.
Boat: Beneteau 393 "Sea Life"

Quote:
Originally Posted by DumnMad View Post
Piracy is about law-breakers at sea. Is there any country in the world that does not back up the Rule of Law with the ability to use guns?
Ummm yes. Every other country in the world.

The "rule of law" that you espouse is backed up by a countries Police and the Judiciary. Not by armed citizens blowing peoples heads off, forming vigilante groups, or lynching suspects.

Somalia Pirates and our Convoy
MarkJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-02-2013, 11:56   #220

Boat: 45ft Ketch

In countries/areas(and there are quite a few) where the police and judiciary law enforcement are absent, the ones with the guns make the laws.
DumnMad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-02-2013, 12:04   #221
CLOD

Boat: none

Back to the piracy part of the thread, I don't recall ever reading a story of a cruiser fighting off pirates while underway. If anyone knows of one how about a link?
Old 19-02-2013, 12:49   #222

Quote:
Originally Posted by DumnMad View Post
In countries/areas(and there are quite a few) where the police and judiciary law enforcement are absent, the ones with the guns make the laws.
It's amazing how many people get so conditioned to being able to call 911 when there is a crisis, that they still plan on doing it as a first response, even when they are off the grid.

My brother recently went to Nicaragua, up in a very desolate part of the country to do some construction as part of a church mission group. After talking to him for a while, I realized his plan for dealing with anything going wrong, was to hope that nothing went wrong.

People who would laugh at someone crossing the Atlantic without an EPIRB or liferaft, never give a thought to what the would do if someone decided to kill them, other than to hope it doesn't happen.

I'm not going to object to anyone crossing the Atlantic without an EPIRB or liferaft. Just don't call me paranoid because I do want both when crossing.
Group9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-02-2013, 19:35   #223
always in motion is the future

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sundeer 64
Quote:

It's amazing how many people get so conditioned to being able to call 911 when there is a crisis, that they still plan on doing it as a first response, even when they are off the grid.

My brother recently went to Nicaragua, up in a very desolate part of the country to do some construction as part of a church mission group. After talking to him for a while, I realized his plan for dealing with anything going wrong, was to hope that nothing went wrong.

People who would laugh at someone crossing the Atlantic without an EPIRB or liferaft, never give a thought to what the would do if someone decided to kill them, other than to hope it doesn't happen.

It is because they can't handle the thought. It has been explained to me that they rather stop cruising than having to deal with it. IMO, it stems from the (false) sense of safety when guns are absent. Not many realize that men killed in horrifying numbers well before gunpowder was invented. This last sentence will also be too much to deal with for many. It is how it is

s/v Jedi is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 20-02-2013, 02:24   #224
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 63 custom alloy sloop,macwester26,prout snowgoose 37 elite catamaran!

Quote:

I'm not going to object to anyone crossing the Atlantic without an EPIRB or liferaft. Just don't call me paranoid because I do want both when crossing.
religious cults with guns might be seen as part of the problem rather than the solution..............having a bible in one hand and a machine gun in the other went out of fashion at the turn of the 1900 centuary........remember jonestown............where is your faith o'brother
atoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-02-2013, 03:12   #225

Boat: Joubert Koala 24
One of the relatively few places I've carried a gun is in the US... Because everyone else does. Fortunately they're as easy to buy as hot dogs. Took me an hour after landing to have a gun in my hand, entirely legally, as a tourist. Didn't see any pirates... Outside my own music collection.
Tomm0 is offline   Reply With Quote