Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 13-07-2012, 18:03   #1

Boat: Canadian Sailcraft 33
PFDs for kids

Hi everyone,

I am looking to get a Type II for my 4 year old. He is about 32 pounds and a typical child PFD fits him good. However, I am struggling to find any Type II for a child. Can anyone recommend anything please? Maybe i am being unreasonable but if he falls the boat I'd want him to be fully upright rather than frantically panicking while I am doing my figure eight.

Your thoughts and experiences on this topic are very welcome.

vechnyak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-07-2012, 21:15   #2

Boat: Nassau 42 SV Ceol Mor
Re: PFDs for kids

As soon as our little one sizes up, we will be getting her one of these NIMBUS CHILDREN'S VEST . Highly recommended by several sailing moms who swear by them.

S/V Ceol Mor
42 Nassau Undergoing refit in Kemah, Tx
Our little blog has moved:
Mimsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-07-2012, 03:27   #3

If you're in Europe, check out Crewsaver Seatoddler lifejacket.
Katiusha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-07-2012, 07:14   #4

Boat: Bristol 41.1 Keep on Dancin'

Hope this is timely. Because of a paranoid son-in-law, our grand children, ages 5 and 7, are going sailing with us for the first time. Our son-in-law knows we cruised for 10 years, licensed Capt., 55+ years sailing, blah-blah-blah. Just was checking the kid's PFD, type III, first line says use:Sailing. Read further down, and it is for use on non-commercial, recreational vessels less than 40 feet. Quite a surprise. Quickly checked WM advisor in the catalogue, and no where is there mention about size of vessel in product description. There is no mention of a child's PFD for longer than 40'.

We are still going sailing, not sure if there is a difference if they fall off a 41' boat or a 39' boat, but it will have to be addressed soon.
keepondancin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-07-2012, 07:47   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: research vessel

You probably want a Type 1 for small children who might not be able to roll themselves onto their back on their own in order to breathe. Type 2 lifejackets do not provide the correct flotation to allow for the face to remain out of the water if the wearer is unconscious or does not know how to right ones head out of the water....which could be the case for a small child.

Ask yourself if you will always be in a situation where you can get to your child in under a minute? If not, a Type 1 is what you need. With person overboard situations, it can take a few minutes to recover the person in the water...if you are well practiced and can pick the person out of the water on the first attempt. Otherwise it can take longer.

I have never heard of a 40 foot rating. That might be a Canadian standard of some sort.

They are Transport Canada approved. You might want to look up what those standards mean.

The crotch strap is a necessity for small children.

Life begins where land ends.
David M is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: