Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-02-2016, 15:20   #91

Re: Personal Locator Beacon as boat's EPIRB?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rustic Charm View Post
The benefit of manual models is that they can't be set off by simply getting wet. The decision to activate them has to be deliberate.

In addition, having manual models brings the cost down (compare the cost to Australian) and with the cost down (Under $300 Aust) it puts them within the means of ALL boaters and most bushwalkers and off road enthusiasts too.
That happened to us when, during a storm, we got the midships cockpit completely inundated, and of course about two feet of water down below, with the epirb happily swimming around, giving off its alarm. Took a while to contact everyone that it was a false alarm and we were fine. So if you got an automatic, put it someplace it will not get wet.
reed1v is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2016, 15:24   #92

Boat: Liberty 458

Quote:
Originally Posted by Factor View Post
Just a gentle reminder, in this part of the world any vessel not:

(a) in smooth waters; or
(b) in partially smooth waters; or
(c) within 2n miles from land.

needs to carry and EPIRB and statutorily a PLB does not meet the definition of EPIRB. PLBs are great things, but you MUST have an EPIRB.
Interesting. Which part of the world are you in?

Sent from my SM-N900T using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
leftbrainstuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2016, 15:28   #93

Boat: Bieroc 36 foot Ketch

Quote:
Originally Posted by leftbrainstuff View Post
Interesting. Which part of the world are you in?

Sent from my SM-N900T using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app

Look at his profile

Rustic Charm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2016, 15:50   #94

Strange that Aussie land would be so strict about epirbs. Seemed to be rather loosy goosy about a lot of things. Must be a well organized lobby for the epirb industry.
reed1v is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2016, 16:02   #95

Quote:
Originally Posted by reed1v View Post
Strange that Aussie land would be so strict about epirbs. Seemed to be rather loosy goosy about a lot of things. Must be a well organized lobby for the epirb industry.
I'm not sure why you would suggest this. Australia's Search and Rescue and maritime authorities I would have thought are very well structured. It's true that in many areas (and formerly in Tasmania up until only three years ago) local maritime issues were badly neglected. The epirb push is I believe done purely on a safety aspect, across land, sea and air.

Do you have any illustrations of the 'loosy goosy' type of things?
Old 01-02-2016, 16:13   #96

Boat: Catalina 38'/ Tiara 33'

I would be comfortable with a PLB for the baja bash but not the puddle jump. The primary differences come down to battery life, floatation, and other safety equipment onboard (Sat Phone, VHF, Ect).
MaxwellIns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2016, 23:22   #97

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Helsinki (Summer); Cruising the Baltic Sea this year!
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54

Quote:
It's because of Australia's very long coastline and thin population. Australia's coastal areas are GMDSS Sea Area A3's, rather than A1 like the rest of the world. You must have an EPIRB in GMDSS Sea Area A3.

In coastal areas in the rest of the world, a DSC VHF is enough, but not Australia.

Most small recreational vessels are not usually required to fulfill the whole list of SOLAS requirements for whatever Sea Area they are using. But Australia evidentally made the decision that since they are not installing the whole GMDSS infrastructure required in Sea Area A1's (like seamless VHF DSC coverage -- we had a thread about this recently), then they will require all vessels going more than 2 miles from shore, whether SOLAS or not, to carry EPIRBs, so that every vessel has at least some means of distress signalling.
We must have a turn together . . . . I undress . . . . hurry me out of sight of the land,
Cushion me soft . . . . rock me in billowy drowse,
Dash me with amorous wet . . . . I can repay you."
Walt Whitman
Dockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2016, 00:00   #98

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dockhead View Post
It's because of Australia's very long coastline and thin population. Australia's coastal areas are GMDSS Sea Area A3's, rather than A1 like the rest of the world. You must have an EPIRB in GMDSS Sea Area A3.

In coastal areas in the rest of the world, a DSC VHF is enough, but not Australia.

Most small recreational vessels are not usually required to fulfill the whole list of SOLAS requirements for whatever Sea Area they are using. But Australia evidentally made the decision that since they are not installing the whole GMDSS infrastructure required in Sea Area A1's (like seamless VHF DSC coverage -- we had a thread about this recently), then they will require all vessels going more than 2 miles from shore, whether SOLAS or not, to carry EPIRBs, so that every vessel has at least some means of distress signalling.
Dockhead, thanks for this. It seems to make sense about the area A3, which is not something i was aware of.

But do you have any supportive docs or links to support your last paragraph or are you just making an assumption?
Old 02-02-2016, 00:14   #99

Quote:
Dockhead, thanks for this. It seems to make sense about the area A3, which is not something i was aware of.

But do you have any supportive docs or links to support your last paragraph or are you just making an assumption?
May I respectfully suggest you spend some time on the AMSA site, you will learn heaps, after all these are now the gods who are governing the requirements

Beacons - Australian Maritime Safety Authority

Choosing the right beacon - Beacons

Quote:

In most states, Emergency Position Indicating Radio Beacons (EPIRBs) are required for boats that travel at least 2 nautical miles from the coast. If you're not travelling that far, you can use a Personal Locator Beacon (PLB) instead.
</H3>
IslandHopper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2016, 00:23   #100
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Multihulls - cats and Tris

The issue of legislative coverage for this matter is a state based one. I.e. it is each individual state that has legislation relating to Marine Safety. (its an arcane constitutional issue - see Sect 52 of the Australian Constitution).

The reference I made earlier was to the Transport Operations (marine Safety) Regulation. Having said that on this and many other matters there has been a process of harmonisation over recent times where state legislation is brought broadly into line with each other.

At no time will a PLB discharge your legal requirement in Queensland Waters. (and in most other states) I own a couple, they are great, not arguing the toss about them at all, just pointing out that when the Water walloper comes calling - only an Epirb will suffice.

Not saying this is good or bad law, just telling it like it is writ.
Factor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2016, 00:30   #101
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Multihulls - cats and Tris

Quote:
Perhaps its because we have a massive part of the global SAR coverage, so it helps us discharge our responsibilities.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	SAR-map.gif
Views:	143
Size:	57.6 KB
ID:	118194  
Factor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2016, 00:44   #102

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Helsinki (Summer); Cruising the Baltic Sea this year!

Quote:

Click image for larger version

Name:	Capture.PNG
Views:	196
Size:	255.5 KB
ID:	118195

https://www.amsa.gov.au/forms-and-pu...dbook-2013.pdf
We must have a turn together . . . . I undress . . . . hurry me out of sight of the land,
Walt Whitman
Old 02-02-2016, 12:43   #103

Thank you Dockhead.. I'm aware of the 'areas'. That's not what I asked you.
Old 02-02-2016, 12:45   #104

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dockhead View Post
But Australia evidentally made the decision that since they are not installing the whole GMDSS infrastructure required in Sea Area A1's (like seamless VHF DSC coverage -- we had a thread about this recently), then they will require all vessels going more than 2 miles from shore, whether SOLAS or not, to carry EPIRBs, so that every vessel has at least some means of distress signalling.
This bit is the bit I asked you whether you have any supporting docs or links to support this?

And Hoppy is entirely correct, each State has it's own legislation to govern what is to be carried.
Old 03-02-2016, 00:39   #105

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
This bit is the bit I asked you whether you have any supporting docs or links to support this?

And Hoppy is entirely correct, each State has it's own legislation to govern what is to be carried.
Ah, that bit. No, the word "evidently" should be your clue that I was speculating.

But the logic is sound - if there is no seamless VHF coverage, unlike around the coasts of other countries, then EPIRB is the only affordable means of distress signalling which will work everywhere, so it's reasonable to require it.

Sent from my D6633 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
Walt Whitman

Tags
epirb