Re: Personal always-carry offshore safety kit

when we are sailing we each have a harness that fits with our pfd and has on it
W/P GPS
W/P VHF
Lazer flare
Personal EPIRB
Whistle
Strobe light

This may sound like a lot of equipment but I can assure it fits very comfortably. In the event one of us goes over board we can let people know where we are call them give them our position and signal them. We both wear a floatation suit with built in 150n Life Jacket. We have tested the system in as much as I went in the water with a guard boat and waited 15 mins before I contacted our yacht to let my wife know that I was over board (yes I know she would all ready know as I am not asking fora cuppa) then giver her my position she then headed back to me . On seeing the mast I called to give her final instructions to arrive at my position. It worked and I was recovered in safety. In the event that I was on watch on my own then the EPIRB would be used.
feelsgood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 12:52   #17

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop
Re: Personal always-carry offshore safety kit

I can hear where you're coming from, but given the difficulty of seeing someone in the water in the daytime, even, I think both whistle and mirror are a good idea. Even at night, if someone shines a flashlight trying to find you, if they get a flash returned, it will help locate you. IMO, the signal mirror is your best chance on a bright day.

Ann
Old 02-11-2013, 13:11   #18
Nearly an old salt

Boat: Bavaria 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teknav View Post
With the exception of a common power supply, the circuitry would be a challenge to design. Power consumption would be a nightmare, when everything is working at the same time; very low battery life. And, one more thing...if this multi-purpose marine transceiver is damaged or lost...His Majesty Murphy The Great, will not be too kind to you.

Mauritz
The devil's in the details.
As an EE this is not really a significant issue. The primary issue is the requirement for epirb operating time and standby life. This tends to be a primary cell whereas the ais and VHF tend to be rechargeable. The issue isn't power consumption more enclosure size .

In practice PLB as a mob is really a poor choice since rescue could be far longer then your ability to survive . Personal AIS ( more correctly AIS sart ) could be easily integrated into a VHF. But there are advantages to having a separate device. I would argue a VHF isn't much use to a mob anyway whereas an AIs sart is clearly useful.

Dave
Old 02-11-2013, 13:13   #19
Nearly an old salt

Boat: Bavaria 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teknav View Post
Hiya Jammer! Maybe you should take a min to read my profile! Let me elaborate a little bit...before going to a professional school to become a doctor or a pharmacist, you have to go to an undergraduate school; usually 4 - 5 years. During the undergraduate years you can be pre-med/pre-pharmacy engineer/mathematician/chemist or anything you want to be, as long as you take the required pre-med/pre-pharm courses and pass the MCAT/DentalCAT, with high college grades, among other requirements.

Therefore, you can be an engineer and a medical doctor or a pharmacist as the same time. A good example of that is Michael Debake, M.D. who is a mechanical engineer and a world renowned cardiologist practicing in California. Yes, it is unusual to find these kind of folks, but they do exist. To add to the intrigue, if your hobby is flying and kept on adding ratings including a commercial pilot license... By now, you should be getting the picture. If you still don't, it's OK... Some folks are nerdy by nature and do not need to prove anything to anyone! Take care!

Mauritz
gEEk, inc. - Knowledge is Power!
Since when does a undergraduate course make anyone am engineer. If you have to resort to credentialism its over

Dave

Tags
offshore, safety