Cruisers Forum

Closed Thread

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 25-02-2015, 07:05   #121

Re: Paint ball with pepper spray?

My favorite firearms trainer!!!!!

Old 25-02-2015, 08:40   #122

Boat: Still have the 33yo Jon boat. But now a CATAMARAN. Nice little 18' Bay Cat.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Group9 View Post

I saw these things at Wal-Mart the other day and was wondering if they would come up in discussion.

I like these better!

Looks like great fun.
I am 6'4" and we had a Gemini 105Mc for a few years. There was nowhere on board I could throw anything in a normal manner. The star/my hand would hit something pretty much no matter where I was on the boat. And though I have never been hit by one I suspect they hurt like hell and would basically anger whomever was struck.

You know about the 25' rule, so on a boat I would guess it is reduced to 8-10. Depending on conditions right?

The "spear" I think is cool but even on a 4' stick it could be impossible to turn the right direction depending on where you were. On the average monohull it would be even harder. I can see it working if someone is standing at the companionway door, centered. That's about it.
Old 25-02-2015, 08:48   #123

Boat: Still have the 33yo Jon boat. But now a CATAMARAN. Nice little 18' Bay Cat.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Group9 View Post
My favorite firearms trainer!!!!!

Ouch!
His statement does not match the video re: the holster did not get released and then gun went off. It is clear the gun cleared the holster, meaning it did release.

I will stick with the Glock. Fewer buttons to push.
Old 25-02-2015, 08:52   #124

Quote:
Originally Posted by Therapy View Post
Ouch!
His statement does not match the video re: the holster did not get released and then gun went off. It is clear the gun cleared the holster, meaning it did release.

This guy is a hoot! You have to watch some of his other videos!
Old 25-02-2015, 08:57   #125
cruiser

That's why I prefer a .357 revolver for carry. No safety, just an uncomplicated pocket holster so that no one can get hurt including me, heavy trigger pull. But when I practice, I always use the pocket holster pictured as a reminder of what can go wrong.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	340pd.jpg
Views:	123
Size:	178.3 KB
ID:	97888   Click image for larger version

Name:	20150225_103128_resized.jpg
Views:	93
Size:	259.5 KB
ID:	97889  

Click image for larger version

Name:	20150225_103432_resized.jpg
Views:	116
Size:	228.7 KB
ID:	97890  
Old 25-02-2015, 09:06   #126

Boat: Alden auxiliary ketch 48'

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwidman View Post
Dude! I'm not trying to take away your right to sleep with a gun under your pillow, but if you think that's protection from armed intruders you are a fool. They are awake, you are asleep. There are two or three of them with their guns drawn. Just one of you and you have to wake up, realize what is happening, reach under the pillow, pull out the gun and aim and fire. You will have been shot several times by then.

Dude, I don't sleep 24 hours a day. There are myriads of scenarios in which being armed will be of benefit. Remember, I said, "LIFE IS FULL OF RISKS". There are no guarantees. Right? The only fool is the one who doesn't think these things out, consider the issues, plan conservatively and act as well as you can in the case you are boarded. But you have already concluded that I am incapable of thinking so why even bother responding to a moron?

But why you keep harping on the one scenario where a person could be caught flat footed is beyond me. You seem to then generalize that you shouldn't ever possess a weapon because of that ONE scenario. It boggles the mind.

If they come in with guns drawn, they mean me deadly harm. What makes you think they won't shoot me even if I am unarmed and with my hands up? Happens in Chicago quite frequently, unfortunately. That's life.
Old 25-02-2015, 09:14   #127

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenomac View Post
My wife's weapon of choice during an unannounced boarding-boat invasion is the "Spirit Knife" purchased from Walmart for $19.95. This knife when attached by screwing it onto the end of an extending type pole or standard broom handle, can be very effective when thrust from behind a closed cabin door as an assailant enters.

Legal everywhere.
Does it come in stainless steel? If not, according to MarkJ it'll be useless in no time === The gun on board, like every other bit of machined metal, is attacked but salt air ===

So, you may have to oil it or wax it and that'll be just too much work so you may as well just surrender to whomever wants to assault your wife, right? We don't want to piss off the natives with a rusty old knife stuck to a mop handle. (Major Sarcastic Snark for those who can't figure it out).

Actually, I like the idea. I picked up a SS Kukri for only a couple of bucks on Amazon. Maybe they have such a blade like what you pictured.

It's all about thinking it thru. But, according to rwidman, I am not capable of that, so I guess I'm screwed.
Old 25-02-2015, 17:22   #128

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenomac View Post
That's why I prefer a .357 revolver for carry. No safety, just an uncomplicated pocket holster so that no one can get hurt including me, heavy trigger pull. But when I practice, I always use the pocket holster pictured as a reminder of what can go wrong.
Same reason the Glock was invented. Works fine - lasts a long time - fewer moving parts.

And it holds more than 6. Though I think the accepted number needed (statistically) is only 2.3 right?
Old 25-02-2015, 17:29   #129

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazyoldboatguy View Post

Actually, I like the idea. I picked up a SS Kukri for only a couple of bucks on Amazon. Maybe they have such a blade like what you pictured.

:
Amazon is your friend.

http://www.amazon.com/SOG-Specialty-...s=spirit+knife

I wonder if it is an overpriced Wal Mart version?
Old 25-02-2015, 18:23   #130

Talking Re: Paint ball with pepper spray?

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwidman View Post
Dude! I'm not trying to take away your right to sleep with a gun under your pillow, but if you think that's protection from armed intruders you are a fool. They are awake, you are asleep. There are two or three of them with their guns drawn. Just one of you and you have to wake up, realize what is happening, reach under the pillow, pull out the gun and aim and fire. You will have been shot several times by then.
That's why you need a perimeter warning system of some type that will wake before in try into the Cabin. It's call about being prepared.
Old 25-02-2015, 18:25   #131

Quote:

Yeah, but that one isn't stainless steel either. Plain steel will rust away to nothing in a few minutes in the salty environment according to folks more learned that me who have posted earlier. I wonder how all those steel ships keep from rusting to nothing? I wonder how the US forces handled that issue during WW2?

Maintenance, of course.

I'd go with the cheap Walmart version myself.
Old 25-02-2015, 18:28   #132

Quote:
Originally Posted by Going Walkabout View Post
That's why you need a perimeter warning system of some type that will wake before in try into the Cabin. It's call about being prepared.

+1 +1 +1
Old 26-02-2015, 00:47   #133

Boat: Bieroc 36 foot Ketch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Going Walkabout View Post
You must be a very nervous sailor! Guns under pillows, perimeter warning systems.

And there I'm thinking I had to be worried about drowning.
Old 26-02-2015, 04:43   #134
CLOD

Boat: none

Quote:
Ouch!

Hey he left the gun laying on the ground after shooting himself. I thought gun owners would leave their women on the ground before their gun
Old 26-02-2015, 08:14   #135

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rustic Charm View Post
You must be a very nervous sailor! Guns under pillows, perimeter warning systems.

And there I'm thinking I had to be worried about drowning.

Yep, no middle ground for your type, is there? Either you leave yourself open to trouble or you are armed to the teeth. Sheesh.

Do you lock up your dinghy and motor? Why - that won't help you if you're drowning, will it? How about your personal items? Do you leave your boat open and unlocked dockside when you go to dinner, with your laptop sitting on the table in the saloon? Why, that won't help you if you're drowning, either, will it? Do you have an EPIRB? What is the likelihood you will ever have need of one?

What is YOUR plan if someone boards your vessel, like rwidman describes? Multiple bad guys all with guns out and bad intent, and all that?

I realize that this is a remote possibility but so, apparently, is the likelihood that you will EVER use your liferaft in an emergency situation - like if you're drowning. So, why do you have one?

Some folks think about these things. They don't fret or panic. They don't over do it - they consider risks as best they can, make a plan and accept that life is unpredictable - just like every other reasonable person who steps on board for the long passage into a different world.
Closed Thread

Tags
paint