Closed Thread

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 21-02-2015, 15:09   #16

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Camper & Nicholson58 Ketch - ROXY Traverse City, Michigan No.668283
Re: Paint ball with pepper spray?

Quote:
Originally Posted by toddedger View Post
I know carrying a firearm is just to big of a hassle these days, but what about a paintball gun that uses compressed gas and is non lethal? Would other countries consider this to be a firearm? I see it is now possible to fire balls loaded with pepper spray along with welt forming nylon balls at a range of two hundred feet. They can be loaded in clips like regular guns, or shoot semi auto from funnel shaped hoppers. I'm wondering what some of you more experience cruisers have to say about the idea.
Don't spit into the wind, don't pull the mask off the Lone Ranger Don't take water balloons to a gun fight.
Old 21-02-2015, 15:33   #17

I think one or two stun guns would be more effective than a paint ball gun or pepper spray. The following are the laws of carrying stun guns (tasers)

State

Laws At-a-Glance

California

In California, most people may purchase, posses, or use a stun gun, and they do not have to obtain a permit. However, you may not purchase, possess, or use a stun gun if you are a convicted felon, someone convicted of an assault under federal or any state’s laws or the laws of any country, or have a prior conviction for misusing a stun gun under Cal. Pen. Code §244.5, or addicted to any narcotic drug.

FloridaIn Florida, most people may purchase, posses (openly or concealed), or use a stun gun for self defense without obtaining a permit. However, you may not purchase, possess, or use a stun gun if you are a convicted felon, or someone convicted of a juvenile crime that would have been a felony had it been committed by an adult; or someone younger than 16 years old (except with parental consent and adult supervision).
Old 21-02-2015, 15:45   #18
cruiser

Stop playing with toys and forget about the advice from the anti-gun Zealots. Come visit us on the "Gun Owners" group forum on CF, a nice place inhabited by like-minded folks who welcome new members and enjoy friendly discussions about tomahawks, spears, machetes, big scary knives, security systems, self-defense and of course guns. Real Guns!

Ken
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	sexy_ak47.jpg
Views:	756
Size:	31.4 KB
ID:	97648  
Old 21-02-2015, 16:56   #19

Boat: Camano Troll

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reefmagnet View Post
Can't beat a good old machete. Legal everywhere and just waving a decent sized one around should deter the opportunists...........
Have you ever heard the expression about bringing a knife to a gunfight?
Old 21-02-2015, 17:02   #20

Boat: Nantucket Island 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwidman View Post
Have you ever heard the expression about bringing a knife to a gunfight?
Couldn't be sillier than packing a paintball gun.

Besides
Old 21-02-2015, 20:20   #21
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Hudson 50 and Formossa 51

An ordanary hand saw is Very effective ,,,,you try and take it off me !!! and i can do a lot of damage with it .
Old 21-02-2015, 20:33   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenomac View Post
Stop playing with toys and forget about the advice from the anti-gun Zealots. Come visit us on the "Gun Owners" group forum on CF, a nice place inhabited by like-minded folks who welcome new members and enjoy friendly discussions about tomahawks, spears, machetes, big scary knives, security systems, self-defense and of course guns. Real Guns!

Ken
Can you please provide the link. Thanks.
Old 21-02-2015, 21:23   #23
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Going Walkabout View Post
Can you please provide the link. Thanks.
There are several "social groups" on this forum site. You can find them by looking at the menu bar on each forum page for the "community" drop down menu.

http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/groups/

Cruisers & Sailing Forums - Gun owners
Old 22-02-2015, 06:17   #24

Boat: Camano Troll

Quote:
Originally Posted by bizzy View Post
An ordanary hand saw is Very effective ,,,,you try and take it off me !!! and i can do a lot of damage with it .
Not if I shoot you first!

rognvald said it best in his post:

Quote:
There is a difference between deferring an attack and stopping an attack. No civilized person wants to consider the possibility of being in a situation where your life or the lives of your loved ones are in imminent mortal danger. There are only two ways to avoid this situation: 1.) sail in areas where there is minimal or no real risk based upon statistics and hope you are not an anomaly, or 2.) Be prepared to use whatever force is necessary to stop the attack.
My choice would be #1. #2 requires standing guard 24/7 with some serious weapons (rifle, shotgun, AK-47, etc.). And don't bring out the weapons unless you are prepared to take a life and deal with the consequences.
Old 22-02-2015, 07:22   #25

Boat: Dragon

A flare in the face should probably buy you some time. No need to explain them.

I do know someone who has assembled a " shot gun' using pvc pipe, ball bearings, a rocket flare and a rag. All common items found on boats.

My personal preference is to surrender and cooperate...and live to have a few in the bar afterwards.
Old 22-02-2015, 08:04   #26

Two schools of thought with guns, have one or not, but if I shoot at someone I don't want them to get up.

Greg S/V Sweet Dreams
Pearson P385 out of Racine Wisconsin
Old 22-02-2015, 08:19   #27

Boat: Taswell 43

Unless you are willing to pull the gun AND shot first-to kill-don't bother to carry it! No matter what you arm yourself with (shotgun, AR-15. or??) the bad guys will always have something bigger-and more of them. And they ARE willing to shoot first to kill. We carried for many years, realized the folly of it-unless you ARE willing to shoot first to kill... and as an American in a foreign country you are guilty until proved innocent. I don't care if you've got a Z-23-4 mounted on the foredeck...it isn't enough!
Old 22-02-2015, 08:43   #28

Boat: Cape Dory 300 MS 30'

Never bring a knife to a gun fight. And equally valid, never bring a small gun (or anything that looks like one) to one where the opposition may have automatic weapons. Peter Blake made that mistake;(see Renowned New Zealand Yachtsman Killed in Amazon - NYTimes.com) Keep some hornet spray on a shelf for a surprise attack when you are sure what you are up against, and good luck.
Old 22-02-2015, 08:44   #29
Marine Service Provider

Roger that! Carrying a something that looks like a gun will get you shot real quick by the guys who have real guns.
Old 22-02-2015, 09:27   #30

Boat: Viking Sportfish, 40'

This may be a mean little item but it's legal or at least not regulated. Wasp & Hornet spray, the stuff that shoots a big blast 20' or more, is basically a nerve agent also extremely irritating to eyes, lungs, etc., and is debilitating. Keep in mind that unlike pepper spray you'll be causing damage and there's no telling how severe. The bad guy you spray with this will be seeking medical treatment (if they get that far) which may well identify them as your attacker to law enforcement. Food for thought is they might be enraged about what you did to them and have their buddies go after you.

Defending yourself against an attacker isn't a game and there's no reason to give the bad guy a chance. You'll live with your decisions.

Whatever you decide, don't test this stuff on anyone to judge effects for yourself, like those pepper spray videos on human subjects. The effects are quite different.

*Clarification: It may be legal/unregulated to carry so you won't get in trouble for that. How you use it is a separate determination.
Closed Thread

Tags
paint