Cruisers Forum

Closed Thread

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 23-02-2015, 09:49   #61

Re: Paint ball with pepper spray?

Quote:
Originally Posted by toddedger View Post
...what about a paintball gun that uses compressed gas and is non lethal?
You still have to know the laws everywhere you go, and be very careful about them. There are places where a gun is a gun is a gun. Your paintball gun could be just as illegal as any assault rifle.
Old 23-02-2015, 15:42   #62

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rustic Charm View Post
As a former cop myself I'd agree with this. BUT with a slight difference. When someone is dealing with 'police' or carrying out a heightened illegal activity their adrenalin is high. It's this boost in adrenalin that makes the spray ineffective and I've even seen someone sprayed who was resisting arrest go right off after being hit with spray. Also if someone is on speed or ice, it seems to have little impact. Keep in mind it's illegal to even have the stuff in Australia.
Thank you for your service and your first hand experience says it all. you are definitely making me lean to Close Quarter Combat defense and offense. Thank you.
Old 23-02-2015, 16:21   #63

Boat: Bieroc 36 foot Ketch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crosis View Post
I have never heard a more left wing statement in my life. Do you have locks on your doors? How do you sleep at night if you have to be that careful? Do you have a fire extinguisher on board? How do you sleep at night being so afraid of fire???

How myopic and unrealistic. Being on guard is part of life with humans and having a gun to protect loved ones is not even remotely like looking over your shoulder all the time. Its no different than having a fire extinguisher in case of fire. I am sure you have a few of those.
Crosis, living like this may be an American thing, I don't know. But from a non American perspective he's entirely right. I'm 53 years old and I've never felt that I've had to be on guard.

I don't think anyone knows the real statistics, but frankly I'd be surprised if any real fraction of world sailors actually feel the need to carry guns, or weapons of any kind. Other than if your American, as most of those who are 'pro gun on cruising boats' that respond on other threads do seem to be American.

I agree with him, I'd avoid those known trouble spots and then exercise verbal judo to avoid the other.
Old 23-02-2015, 16:24   #64

Quote:
Crosis, living like this may be an American thing, I don't know. But from a non American perspective he's entirely right. I'm 53 years old and I've never felt that I've had to be on guard.

I don't think anyone knows the real statistics, but frankly I'd be surprised if any real fraction of world sailors actually feel the need to carry guns, or weapons of any kind. Other than if your American, as most of those who are 'pro gun on cruising boats' that respond on other threads do seem to be American.

I agree with him, I'd avoid those known trouble spots and then exercise verbal judo to avoid the other.
You good Sir obviously have not had a gun pointed at you by a hostile.
Old 23-02-2015, 16:27   #65

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoingWalkabout View Post
don't go assuming things. not wise without knowledge.
Old 23-02-2015, 16:36   #66

Boat: Still have the 33yo Jon boat. But now a CATAMARAN. Nice little 18' Bay Cat.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steady Hand View Post
There are several "social groups" on this forum site. You can find them by looking at the menu bar on each forum page for the "community" drop down menu.

Cruisers & Sailing Forums - Social Groups

Cruisers & Sailing Forums - Gun owners
I see this:

You need to be a member of this group to view its contents

That is like insurance. You pay for it and then they send you a policy to read.

What's in there??
Old 23-02-2015, 16:46   #67

Quote:
Originally Posted by Therapy View Post
I see this:

What's in there??
You have to be a member of Cruising Forum to comment too. It's easy to join if your into that sort of stuff.
Old 23-02-2015, 16:57   #68

Boat: Corbin 39

While I don't have any guns in my American home I am comforted by the fact that criminals don't know if I do or do not have any guns. Statistically its the gun free zones and liberal cities with over reaching gun laws that have more crime. That's why we Americans feel a bit insecure when we go to a country where only the bad guys are aloud to have guns. It sure was sad watching that French cop get executed on the sidewalk not to long ago.
Old 23-02-2015, 17:12   #69

Boat: Still have the 33yo Jon boat. But now a CATAMARAN. Nice little 18' Bay Cat.

Quote:
While I don't have any guns in my American home I am comforted by the fact that criminals don't know if I do or do not have any guns. Statistically its the gun free zones and liberal cities with over reaching gun laws that have more crime. That's why we Americans feel a bit insecure when we go to a country where only the bad guys are aloud to have guns. It sure was sad watching that French cop get executed on the sidewalk not to long ago.
Heh....
Attached Images

Old 23-02-2015, 17:35   #70

Quote:
don't go assuming things. not wise without knowledge.
Point taken
Old 23-02-2015, 17:44   #71

Boat: Camano Troll

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoingWalkabout View Post
Let me point out what should be obvious - If a "hostile" is pointing a gun at you, that gun you have in a drawer or even in your pocket is not going to do you a bit of good.
Old 23-02-2015, 18:24   #72

Boat: Corbin 39

yah if a boat pulls up with a fifty cal. mounted on the deck there's not much that can be done. It's that thug that jumps on your boat with a machete. It would be nice to be protected from him without having to wast away in a foreign prison for doing it.
Old 23-02-2015, 18:53   #73

Quote:
47.9% of statistics are made up (that's a joke by the way)

"Statistically its the gun free zones and liberal cities with over reaching gun laws that have more crime" - well, that's debatable. I've provide the link for a Harvard study into it but the the NRA uses the same study to argue your point, despite the figures.

No civilised country permits 'badguys to have guns'. They actually have them unlawfully. And of course they get them from?
Old 23-02-2015, 19:10   #74

Boat: Alden auxiliary ketch 48'

As has been posted elsewhere on CF, hornet spray can be quite noxious, and illegal. Pepper spray has its limitations, spear guns (except the Hawaiian sling type) are illegal in many places, as well as are flare guns.

It takes some time to wade thru all the "all ya gotta do is….." posts before we can get down to business.

It is possible to carry firearms legally - declare them when you enter. Hope that the port authorities accept your on board lock box, carry weapons that look non-military (no AR15s, AK47s, etc). A major exception is Mexico. Under NO circumstances carry a firearm into that country, declared or otherwise.

I'm sure I missed something. Oh, I forgot - "anyone who carries a firearm is an idiot".
Old 23-02-2015, 20:04   #75
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Therapy View Post
I see this:

What's in there??
What's in there?

Not much. Or, not as much discussion as you will find in the "open to the public" threads on "guns on boats" that are found in the forum archives (just do a Google Custom Search).

Some of the "gun threads" on this forum have hundreds if not thousands of comments, arguments for and against, and lots of opinion. They usually get closed down due to political statements and some diatribes.

The "gun social group" is simply a small group of folks. Because it does not have as much exposure, the threads are shorter and fewer.

If you are curious, simply join the social group, view the threads, read, decide whether to remain a member of that group or drop out. It is easy to enter or exit or drop out.
Closed Thread

Tags
paint