Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 21-11-2012, 07:29   #16

Boat: 36' solaris sunrise catamaran
Cool Re: OMG I Am Being Eaten Alive!

Eat lots of MARMITE!! the little critters just do not like the smell. However it does take a few days for it to work. Do NOT use any type of scented soap. Use NO perfume. Become a local, smell like the locals.

When we were in the Jungle (army days) we never washed and then the only bites were Snakes .

Good luck

Peter
rivonia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-11-2012, 07:37   #17

Re: OMG I Am Being Eaten Alive!

Mosquitoes use sight to get close enough to smell the CO. They look for a dark shape, which is the reason dark clothing attracts them. Wear white and beige, you will get bitten a lot less.
MarkSF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-11-2012, 07:40   #18

Boat: Beneteau 473
Quote:
Originally Posted by GordMay
Greetings and welcome aboard the CF, Amanda (Sea Eagle).

The death, earlier this year in Thailand of two sisters from Quebec, was caused by drinking a cocktail that contained the insect repellent DEET (N,N-diethyl-m-toluamide).
Quebec sisters died in Thailand from drinking DEET - Health - CBC News
Yikes!!!
Time is a companion that goes with us on a journey. It reminds us to cherish each moment, because it will never come again. What we leave behind is not as important as how we have lived. JEAN LUC PICARD, Captain of the Starship Enterprise
SmartMove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-11-2012, 07:45   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by denverd0n
This. You need to dump all of the perfumed soaps and skin creams. Then my suggestion would be to start eating a lot of garlic and onions. Seriously. That stuff gets into your system and comes out through your sweat. And don't revert to sweet-smelling deodorant to try to control the stink. You may repel your husband in the process, but I'm willing to bet the bugs will leave you alone as well.
Didn't bring any perfumed stuff with me. Added lots of garlic the the burgers we made last night! Didn't bring deodorant either -- OMG, I'm going feral!
Time is a companion that goes with us on a journey. It reminds us to cherish each moment, because it will never come again. What we leave behind is not as important as how we have lived. JEAN LUC PICARD, Captain of the Starship Enterprise
Old 21-11-2012, 07:46   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by rtbates
I've discovered that pipe and cigar smoke works better than anything...
That's probably not going to work for us, but thanks for the suggestion.
Old 21-11-2012, 07:47   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by rivonia
Eat lots of MARMITE!! the little critters just do not like the smell. However it does take a few days for it to work. Do NOT use any type of scented soap. Use NO perfume. Become a local, smell like the locals.

When we were in the Jungle (army days) we never washed and then the only bites were Snakes .

Good luck

Peter
What's marmite?
Old 21-11-2012, 07:49   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkSF
Mosquitoes use sight to get close enough to smell the CO. They look for a dark shape, which is the reason dark clothing attracts them. Wear white and beige, you will get bitten a lot less.
I thought I read Mosquitos were attracted to bright colors. Anyway, I must be too sweet to pass up as yesterday I had tan shorts, white shirt, and Deep Woods Off on.
Old 21-11-2012, 08:19   #23

I second Thermacell. I used it the last several years hunting and it is FANTASTIC.. They make one that is small and covers about a 15 sq ft area. They also make one that is like a little table light.
This is one of the very few products that work as advertised. All of the hunters I know will not go into the deep woods without it.
gcaskew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-11-2012, 09:12   #24

Boat: OEM, proportional

Marmite is a yeast extract, rich in vitamin B. A poor attempt by ignorant foreigners to achieve the perfection of Vegemite. We let them win the cricket from time to time to cheer them up.
Old 21-11-2012, 09:57   #25

I have heard, but don't know if it is true. Irish Spring soap deters many biting insects. I know it helps on dogs with fleas.

James L
Old 21-11-2012, 10:05   #26

Boat: Prout Snowgoose 37

A couple things I found during a summer in the jungle in Papua New Guinea:

1. B-Vitamin supplement and garlic pills help greatly, but will make your sweat stink something fierce (takes 1-2 weeks to work)
2. Some sunscreen actually helps repel mosquitos, especially the alcohol based types that absorb quickly
3. NEVER eat bananas unless you want to be eaten yourself. For some reason, after eating bananas, you would get eaten no matter what you had on.
4. DEET is good stuff, but you can spray it on your clothes instead of on your skin, it is at least a bit better this way, and keeps you from direct contact with the toxic stuff. Just don't wear your sunday best.
5. Wear long-sleeve baggy cotton shirts and pants, this will help greatly as it minimizes the skin exposed. If they are light material and baggy, they are not hot as well, even in the tropics.
Excalibur5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-11-2012, 10:13   #27
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41

i use a mexican substance called autan... works. deet didnt work on me, nor did off, nor does that bs by avon..that stuff ATTRACTS em....so i just use autan. might just buy a case before i leave mexico....
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-11-2012, 11:33   #28

Boat: Skookum 53'

I know this will get me pilloried and burned at the cross, but if there a puddles of water in the yard, you could put a few drops of diesel on them and that will kill the mosquito larva population.
Old 21-11-2012, 11:38   #29
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41

Quote:
Originally Posted by captain58sailin View Post
I know this will get me pilloried and burned at the cross, but if there a puddles of water in the yard, you could put a few drops of diesel on them and that will kill the mosquito larva population.

one of the most intelligent answers to date---diesel and bug poison....
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-11-2012, 12:07   #30

Boat: Skookum 53'

I believe that diesel has a far lower environmental impact than DDT, and it does evaporate.