Old 21-11-2012, 12:08   #31
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sunmaid 20, John Welsford Navigator
Re: OMG I Am Being Eaten Alive!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmartMove View Post
What's marmite?
A quite disgusting substance which looks like concentrated pteradactyl poo and tastes like a cat's bum. Not telling you how i know the second.

PS Vegemite is a yeast extract, Marmite is a beef extract, both have the same appalling taste though.

Coops.
Old 21-11-2012, 12:21   #32

Boat: OEM, proportional

Oops...sry about the marmite mistake. So, what heinous act does one do to a beef to make it look like that? And what is Promite made of then?....or shouldn't I ask...

An Aussie that doesn't like Vegemite....hmmm. This could be a call for the Ministry of Ockerism to investigate your fairdinkumness. As a precaution, I'm confiscating your Navigator. I'll build a decent stern on it and call it Whaler-mini. Be a good chap and sail it round here for me?
Old 21-11-2012, 12:47   #33
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sunmaid 20, John Welsford Navigator

I am Pom living in Aus, and as i like neither i am a non discriminating anti loyalist obviously. The Navigator has a good chance of never leaving here for your place my friend.

Coops.
Old 21-11-2012, 13:02   #34

Boat: Nothing large at the moment

OK, here is one that no one mentioned. Try rubbing your exposed areas with a dryer sheet. maybe start on just one side and see how it compares to another protection on the other side.
Tingum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-11-2012, 13:13   #35
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41

skin so soft is spozed to work-- it does for most everyone except me.
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-11-2012, 13:33   #36

Boat: 41' Sail

Quote:
OK, maybe that is an over statement, but if you are with me nothing will bite you! Part of this is in jest, but, seriously, can a person overdose on Deet and Benedryl?

Our boat was finally hauled last week, and no amount of Deet (15% to 40%) keeps all of the bitie things away. Between the mosquitos, small black flying (I think) things and sand fleas, I am a literal insect smogasborg! I don't know what it is about me, my husband seems to do alright. I started with a 15% Deet spray, graduated to a 40% (Deep Woods Off) spray and still they keep coming. I have 100% Deet (Jungle Juice) on the boat but have been reluctant to use it when I discovered it melted the paint off my phone cover and the polish on my toes!

Is there something else I can do that will work (protect me)? Or do I just have to suck it up and buy lots of Benedryl?

Signed, Itchy in PR
I have found the AVON product: I think it's called 'Skin so soft'??? is a wonderful insect repellant. Anyone know the excat name? Works like a champ!!!
Old 21-11-2012, 13:34   #37

Boat: 41' Sail

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeehag View Post

There ya go! I should have read all the posts. Worked great for me in the BVIs!
Old 21-11-2012, 16:41   #38

Boat: Skookum 53'

Post#5, Nivea - Skin So Soft, Avon Product
Old 22-11-2012, 03:18   #39

Boat: Beneteau 473
Quote:
Originally Posted by gcaskew
I second Thermacell. I used it the last several years hunting and it is FANTASTIC.. They make one that is small and covers about a 15 sq ft area. They also make one that is like a little table light.
This is one of the very few products that work as advertised. All of the hunters I know will not go into the deep woods without it.
The hubby was intrigued by this one. I think it is going to be my Christmas present!
Time is a companion that goes with us on a journey. It reminds us to cherish each moment, because it will never come again. What we leave behind is not as important as how we have lived. JEAN LUC PICARD, Captain of the Starship Enterprise
SmartMove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-11-2012, 03:24   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Excalibur5
A couple things I found during a summer in the jungle in Papua New Guinea:

1. B-Vitamin supplement and garlic pills help greatly, but will make your sweat stink something fierce (takes 1-2 weeks to work)
2. Some sunscreen actually helps repel mosquitos, especially the alcohol based types that absorb quickly
3. NEVER eat bananas unless you want to be eaten yourself. For some reason, after eating bananas, you would get eaten no matter what you had on.
4. DEET is good stuff, but you can spray it on your clothes instead of on your skin, it is at least a bit better this way, and keeps you from direct contact with the toxic stuff. Just don't wear your sunday best.
5. Wear long-sleeve baggy cotton shirts and pants, this will help greatly as it minimizes the skin exposed. If they are light material and baggy, they are not hot as well, even in the tropics.
Well #3 is going to help. I have not been any thing I traditionally think of as sweet. But I have been eating a lot of bananas, pineapple and papaya. Geez, I really like bananas too. I will put them on hold until we get the boat back in the water.

Before we left Utah the county health nurse told us about a product you can soak your clothes in and it would repel mosquitos and the like for up to 6-7 washings. I found it at the local REI, but in all of the craziness of the those last weeks never got back to pick any up. I thought it could be usual for the sheets as well. Now I can't remember the name.
Time is a companion that goes with us on a journey. It reminds us to cherish each moment, because it will never come again. What we leave behind is not as important as how we have lived. JEAN LUC PICARD, Captain of the Starship Enterprise
Old 22-11-2012, 03:26   #41

Quote:
Originally Posted by captain58sailin
I know this will get me pilloried and burned at the cross, but if there a puddles of water in the yard, you could put a few drops of diesel on them and that will kill the mosquito larva population.
There are so many puddles these days, I would probably pollute the entire area! I think for now I will leave the idea on the back burner, but thanks.
Old 22-11-2012, 03:28   #42

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coops

A quite disgusting substance which looks like concentrated pteradactyl poo and tastes like a cat's bum. Not telling you how i know the second.

PS Vegemite is a yeast extract, Marmite is a beef extract, both have the same appalling taste though.

Coops.
Hmmmm .... OK I definitely passing on this idea too! Thanks for the clarification.
Old 22-11-2012, 03:34   #43

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Bestevaer 49

Quote:
Before we left Utah the county health nurse told us about a product you can soak your clothes in and it would repel mosquitos and the like for up to 6-7 washings. I found it at the local REI, but in all of the craziness of the those last weeks never got back to pick any up. I thought it could be usual for the sheets as well. Now I can't remember the name.
The product is called Permethrin. I have used it on a trip to Sri Lanka.

Unveiling Bullseye strops for low friction rings
Seaworthy Lass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-11-2012, 03:40   #44

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeehag
I have heard that about Skin So Soft too, years ago, but had forgotten it.

One thing I remember while reading these posts yesterday, was one of our winter trips to the BVIs a year or so ago. Utah's 10-12% average relative humidity is not kind to skin -- my dries out so bad I look like a lizard. Any way, I brought with me coconut body butter from The Body Shop and slathered it on everyday. I don't remember if we ran out of bug spray or ran out, but my husband and sister-in-law had numerous bites and I had none.

I did pack a brand new jar of that down here with me, so today I am going to try that and see if it really does work or whether I was just lucky. I'll let you know how it goes.

Robyn

P.S. Thanks everyone for the ideas!
Old 22-11-2012, 03:46   #45

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seaworthy Lass

The product is called Permethrin. I have used it on a trip to Sri Lanka.
Were you happy with how it worked?