Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-07-2013, 13:27   #46

Re: Old Flare Disposal

So what if I take a sharpie and relable them as fireworks? They recently allowed some pretty hefty areial fireworks in Michigna that make flares look like fire flys.

It's impossible to follow every law on the books (there are many that conflict with each other). Use some common sense to avoid scaring people or drawing unwanted wrath and you should be fine. (Yes, legally, you should call in the hazmat folks to dispose of them but no one is going to do that in real life).
valhalla360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 15:03   #47

Boat: Carver 3207 Aft Cabin, 32'
It's not just flares. I manage a state judicial district. We've collected a roomful of old ammunition from criminal cases, seizures, etc. since the 1980's. Law enforcement won't take it, feds won't take it, state won't take it, city won't take it. We found a company out of state that will take it, but the shipping permits and costs are astronomical, so high that storage for another 25 years would be cheaper. It's ridiculous, it's like all the regulators think old flares and ammo just magically disappear like a Star Trek transporter made them dematerialize.
kthoennes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 15:41   #48

Boat: Still have the 33yo Jon boat. But now a CATAMARAN. Nice little 18' Bay Cat.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kthoennes View Post
It's not just flares. I manage a state judicial district. We've collected a roomful of old ammunition from criminal cases, seizures, etc. since the 1980's. Law enforcement won't take it, feds won't take it, state won't take it, city won't take it. We found a company out of state that will take it, but the shipping permits and costs are astronomical, so high that storage for another 25 years would be cheaper. It's ridiculous, it's like all the regulators think old flares and ammo just magically disappear like a Star Trek transporter made them dematerialize.
I would like to come and get it.
Old 07-07-2013, 18:07   #49

Boat: Now we need to get her to Louisiana !! she's ours

Gosh, we still have a couple of full box's of 2nd world war 10 gauge flares!! I guess I will keep them tho, because by accident of course, I know they still work !! And boy do they light up the sky !! LOL Some old things are still good !!
Old 08-07-2013, 00:38   #50
Marine Service Provider

Boat: 37' Oyster Heritage

I'm a firm believer in the " practice makes perfect" school of pyrotechnic disposal. The other way is to sail out to an ammunition disposal area, and float test them. This doesn't work for orange smokes, as they'll pass the float test!
sestina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2013, 08:04   #51
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41

old flares can be very useful in times of dire need. save em in a safe place for emergency. do not allow uscg to see them or tey will fine ye for the act of keeping old ones..lol aux is a lil anal about their policing job, as they see it..lol
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2013, 08:06   #52
Hull Diver

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Under a boat, in a marina, in the San Francisco Bay

I have been cleaning out a recently deceased relative's home and have made several trips to my local household hazardous waste disposal facility. They were happy to take the old road flares I brought them.
fstbttms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2013, 08:08   #53

road flares are useless in cruising.
Old 08-07-2013, 08:11   #54
Hull Diver

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeehag View Post
road flares are useless in cruising.
I guess you probably don't understand that this thread is about how to dispose of old, outdated flares, not which flares are useful in cruising.
Old 08-07-2013, 08:17   #55

Quote:
Originally Posted by fstbttms View Post
I guess you probably don't understand that this thread is about how to dispose of old, outdated flares, not which flares are useful in cruising.
if you are a boater there wil be no road flares on board--sorry , road flares are not at all usefull in boating unless you wish to burn down someones boat. .this is not a car forum. mebbe you missed got z somewhere along the line--i can see use if you are a trailor sailor, but then the uscg doesnt approve road flares, so is moot.
Old 08-07-2013, 08:19   #56
Hull Diver

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
if you are a boater there wil be no road flares on board--sorry , road flares are not at all usefull in boating unless you wish to burn down someones boat. .this is not a car forum. mebbe you missed got z somewhere along the line--i can see use if you are a trailor sailor, but then the uscg doesnt approve road flares, so is moot.
The point is that you can dispose of old flares at a household hazardous waste facility.
Old 08-07-2013, 19:21   #57

the real point is that old outdated boating flares could save your life.
they are not dead.
they are merely outdated per uscg guidelines. they are still usable for emergencies.
Old 08-07-2013, 20:07   #58

Boat: Prior boats: Transpac 49; DeFever 54

When we purchased our old Transpac 49, she was loaded with all kinds of flares and assorted incendiary devices along with a life raft seriously out of certification. We took our new home down to Ensenada, Mexico and had the raft repacked, inflated, checked out and bought new up to date flares for both the boat and the raft, less than half the US price. The 'Bomberos' (firemen) who moonlighted in their own raft repacking business just north of town suggested we have a beach party where we could invite their families and set off the expired flares so we knew how they worked as well as familiarizing ourselves with the repacked raft contents. We brought the Cervesas and picnic food and got instruction in handling every kind of flare we had aboard. What a great party with a bunch of wonderful people! The more stuff we set off under the firefighters supervision, the more folks showed up on the beach... I had to go and get more food and beer! It is unfortunate that Americanos don't know how to entertain like our friends south of the border... it was an afternoon and evening to remember... I can see that happening on San Francisco Bay or in Florida... I'd still be in jail! Phil
Capt Phil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2013, 05:42   #59

Boat: Prairie 36 Coastal Cruiser

Quote:
old flares can be very useful in times of dire need. save em in a safe place for emergency. do not allow uscg to see them or tey will fine ye for the act of keeping old ones..lol aux is a lil anal about their policing job, as they see it..lol
If the USCG, USCG Aux or USPS try to tell you that you can't keep expired flares, politely ask them to show you where it says that in the regulations.

It's not there. Not in the Aux or USPS job aid, not in their manual, not on their web site, and not in the more detailed manual which is still in use for Aux facility inspections.

And the USCG is going to have a hard time citing a regulation that doesn't exist in the CFR.

If they persist, ask politely that they elevate that question to their supervision. They are a "rogue" unit inventing their own rules and they will be stopped, if you go high enough.
CaptTom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2013, 05:50   #60

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptTom View Post
If the USCG, USCG Aux or USPS try to tell you that you can't keep expired flares, politely ask them to show you where it says that in the regulations.

It's not there. Not in the Aux or USPS job aid, not in their manual, not on their web site, and not in the more detailed manual which is still in use for Aux facility inspections.

And the USCG is going to have a hard time citing a regulation that doesn't exist in the CFR.

If they persist, ask politely that they elevate that question to their supervision. They are a "rogue" unit inventing their own rules and they will be stopped, if you go high enough.
thankyou very much for htis backup--i had problems in san diego with uscg , aux--the good guy was the instructor of the inspectors, and the idjits were the guys he taught who came on hard and strong saying we could not use or possess old flares.
the instructor said keep old flares for dire emergencies.
i keep mine.
never know when you may need them and the vsc drill includes only a few flares. when you need flares you neeeeeed flares. lots of em, not just one or three.