Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-06-2011, 10:24   #16
always in motion is the future

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sundeer 64
Re: Okay it's Hurricane season Again!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Johnson View Post
The above advice of "going south" to avoid the situation, is good. It is my first choice!
Hold on, I wrote to the equator, *not* "to south". If you're in the southern hemisphere you have to go north. Towards the equator is always correct no matter where you are.

ciao!
Nick.
s/v Jedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2011, 10:48   #17
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41

MARINA MAZATLAN in mzatlan for summer--will be safe unless gods hurl a cat 5 at me.....and i HATE marinas...LOL
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2011, 15:49   #18

Boat: 1972 Contest 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by s/v Jedi View Post
Hold on, I wrote to the equator, *not* "to south". If you're in the southern hemisphere you have to go north. Towards the equator is always correct no matter where you are.

ciao!
Nick.

Understood, Jeeeze Loiuse !
Old 08-06-2011, 16:39   #19

Re: Okay it's Hurricane Season Again!

Besides better track forecasting, the weather guys are also better at forecasting wind strength. A majority of hurricanes strikes are category 1 wind speeds. You should be able to handle this with reasonable gear and preparation. It's those category 3 and above storms that require firm clenching of the buttocks. With these monsters good luck, fate, and karma are required.

Besides going south to get to the doldrums it also increases your odds of being to the left of the track. With the counterclockwise rotation (yea - in the northern hemisphere!) the forward speed of the storm subtracts 20 or 30 knots from the wind speed on the left side. Don't ever find yourself on the north east side of a northern hemisphere hurricane.

Carl
CarlF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-06-2011, 13:15   #20

Re: Okay it's Hurricane Season Again!

First, it is a big risk to think you can predict how a hurricane is going to react and think you can play with nature. Like mentioned in one of the posts unless you are willing to loose your boat and not to say your life don't chance it. If hurricanes tear up all kinds of things on land do you really think that you can anchor a boat enough to stay in place? I don't think so.
Boatinglifeaway is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
hurricane