Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 22-03-2010, 19:48   #1

Boat: Shannon Pilothouse 38
Offshore Jackets - Is this Musto Real or Fake?

Hello all,

I am looking to buy a nice offshore sailing jacket for all the cruising I have planned this summer (I'm going up the coast of Maine).

I keep seeing jackets from this vendor on ebay. He's out of Hong Kong and he tends to have Musto Offshore jackets at pretty damn good prices. I would like to pick one up, seeing as it is a third of the price elsewhere, but I am worried they might be knock offs. One finally came up in the size and color I'm looking for, and he has great reviews on ebay, which is usually a good indicator. Something about that pic doesn't look quite right to me, though. Can anyone help me figure this one out?

http://cgi.ebay.com/Musto-HPX-Gorete...item1e5af10bdf

Alternatively, what is the best foul weather jacket I can get for around $250? The only Offshore jacket I see in that range is really the Gill OS2, but I am unimpressed by the look of that one. Anyone have a recommendation?

Thanks,
Jack
OrangeCrush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-03-2010, 03:00   #2
Moderator and Certifiable Refitter

Boat: C.L.O.D.
No way to tell really. If it is a knock off, I am sure he would still be putting a "real" picture.

You pays yer money and yer take yer chances.
All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangereous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. T.E. Lawrence
Wotname is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 23-03-2010, 04:07   #3

Well said, and I thought the same thing about the picture. When I looked up other HPX jackets online, however, they are all a slightly different design. I'm wondering if this is last years model (which would be fine with me as long as it's authentic).

Any other good jackets out there?

Opinions, anyone?

Thanks
Old 23-03-2010, 16:41   #4
Moderator and Certifiable Refitter

Boat: C.L.O.D.
Just to be the devil's advocate; it could mean the seller hasn't caught up with the latest models for his pictures of his knock offs.

If you go ahead, can you please post back here with your results? There is nothing like real experience to compare to internet opinion.
All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangereous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. T.E. Lawrence
Wotname is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 23-03-2010, 17:15   #5

Boat: Island Packet 349
I have Gill Atlantic jacket/trousers and love them. Looked at Key West/OS2 and was not impressed as much, although they are decent choices as well, particularly if you don't need all-day comfort in tropical environment.
Lost Horizons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-03-2010, 18:41   #6

Boat: Island Packet 27, BLISS
Why not contact the manufacturer and ask if this seller is legit?
Gracias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-03-2010, 18:55   #7

You don't really think it costs $250.00 to make a high quality jacket?
SeattleBaba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-03-2010, 19:11   #8

Boat: a sailing boat
Nothing beats a HQ Gore-Tex sailing jacket. The best one I have ever had was my old G-Tex from Mammut! (climbing stuff) - about USD 300(+)

Now I have a Gill that is not G-thing, still it is good enough.

So far, I have failed to find good trousers other than the Musto HPX/MPX ones. Except yello ollies. The things mid-range simply fall apart (the membrane coming off).

If you sail a lot or in demanding conditions - wet and cold - a good outfit is a great investment IMHO. This applies to G-Tex long boots too - they are warmer and more comfortable than rubber boots.

b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2010, 08:31   #9

Hey all,

I went ahead and bought the jacket, having found out from the seller that it was a slightly older model and being assured that it was legit. I got it today and it is a beautiful jacket, clearly authentic. Heavyweight but comfortable with lots of features and clearly well built and durable. I don't mind having last year's model in the slightest. I can't wait to put it to the test!
Old 07-04-2010, 08:33   #10

What exactly are the yellow ollies you're talking about?
Old 07-04-2010, 10:21   #11

Boat: Pacific Seacraft 25 "Turtle"
I've worn the old style HellyHansen rubberized canvas suits on and off for years. Not much for stylin' but they will keep you dry. Look at what the guys on the workboats use. I have a nice set of Gill(Ithink)my wife gave me for Christmas and have only worn them for piddling around in town this last winter for fear of getting them dirty and having to face the wrath of SWMBO.

I've never been accused of being in style so I see no need to try now......m
Old 07-04-2010, 11:26   #12

Boat: Pearson 281
I also use the standard issue yellow rubber bibs (making sure they have a poly skin on the inside rather than cotton). Under that I use light fleece pants so that the trapped moisture ends up between that and the shell... helps with the clamminess.
For a top I use a West Winds Ventile shell Westwinds Ventile clothing by Snugpak that I got for alpining and I love it. Quite pricey but...there is plenty of room for layering, the hood is really deep and offers a lot of adjustment and there is a tightener for the waist and a strap that passes between the legs to hold the 'skirt" down. They come in single layer and double and are flexible since they are light enough to work as a wind shell and have kept me dry w/o the claminess under a range of extreme conditions. I ordered mine w/o the kangaroo pocket as I wanted as few seams as possible and have been sorry for it... would have been convenient on deck.
Butler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2010, 16:09   #13

The yellows are much better than the 'cheap' breathable stuff. The good G-tex things ARE good but man they are pricey.

How good are the G-tex boots?

I use leather shoes when it is nice and neoprene sailing boots when it is wet and cold. What do you people use?

barnie
Old 07-04-2010, 16:30   #14

Boat: Pearson 281
rubber boots with wool socks under the bib when nasty and synth avias which somebody gave me when nice... water runs right through them and they dry quickly... they are running shoes but have wonderful grip.
When working in the outdoors biz I got a pair of Vibram Five Fingers vibram at REI.com They have the razor cut soles, have been handy as "reef walkers" and have been useful on deck though they don't provide much protection from raming toes on fittings etc.
I hear Keene sandals are handy for that... supposedly invented by a sailor.
Butler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2010, 16:41   #15

Yep, seen the Five Fingers, nice thing. But I have found the normal grade Vibram (like in mountain shoes) too hard for the deck and marking. Is the grade used in Five Fingers softer perhaps?

b.