Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-06-2013, 17:44   #1

No-see-um and Mosquito Repellent (Florida)?

I live at a marina in Florida, and mosqiutoes and no-see-ums are quite the nuisance. "Off! Deep Woods" seems to work well enough against mosquitoes, but not always, and it does not seem to work at all against no-see-ums. I tried the "OFF! botanicals" as well and it's effectiveness seemed the same - fine for mosquitos (if you apply a ton of it) but nothing for no-see-ums.

Does anyone have any recommendations for some natural herbs and essential oils that are effective against no-see-ums?

I'm experimenting with a few things and read a few things. I'm going to try laying citronella sprouts around, for example, and see if that helps against mosquitos. And I've read a few other things like lavender(?) might be good for mosquitoes, but what about no-see-ums???

The only thing I've found so far is this "No no see um" spray which claims to be good and use essential oils, but it's pricy. It's main ingredient appears be germanium oil, I think, for the no-see-ums in particular. Has anyone used this product or germanium oil? Cedar oil? Lemongrass? Are any of these things effective?

Thanks!
MrAntigone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013, 18:08   #2

Boat: Twin Otter de Havilland Floatplane
Re: No-see-um and mosquito repellent (Florida)?

Use a can of "RAID - Ants and Roaches" no scent spray. It will also kill no-see-um on-contact. Take care! Mauritz
Teknav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013, 18:17   #3

Boat: Finnsailer 38

You can find various "natural" repellants at hiking and fishing shops. Most of them seem to have a strong citronella scent. I've tried some of them, and they do work, but they don't last as long as DEET-based repellants. They sweat off rapidly too. However, I don't like to use DEET for daily use--not certain what the chemicals will do to you long-term. Some people use Skin-so-Soft, but I have never found it to be that effective. In order of effectiveness: DEET (various strengths are available), natural repellants, Skin-so-Soft. You might want to read up on potential dangers of DEET. One thing I do is choose one old hat to be my "bug hat." That hat always gets a very liberal dousing with repellant on the outside, and it seems to help keep bugs away from my head pretty effectively without having to put the repellant directly on my skin. And then there are bug hats, for when things are bad. I never go anywhere without one in the Adirondacks.
Old 04-06-2013, 18:26   #4

Boat: Seafarer36c

After spending a few months in the no seeums capital of the world, Bocas Del Toro, we found just about anything oily works. They mostly bite your legs down there. Sweat, the oil and beer help.
On a side note we stopped at an island the Columbian Army held and they raked the entire island every week to kill sand flea eggs.
model 10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013, 18:37   #5
CF Adviser

Boat: 14 meter sloop

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrAntigone View Post
Does anyone have any recommendations for some natural herbs and essential oils that are effective against no-see-ums?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teknav View Post
Use a can of "RAID - Ants and Roaches" no scent spray. It will also kill no-see-um on-contact.
So, is RAID a "natural herb" or an "essential oil?"
Old 04-06-2013, 18:42   #6

Boat: 22' Westerly Nomad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bash View Post
So, is RAID a "natural herb" or an "essential oil?"
Down South, Raid is an "essential"... period!
Old 04-06-2013, 18:46   #7
CF Adviser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Travelnik View Post
Down South, Raid is an "essential"... period!
I'll take your word for it. Here in California, I just snuggle close to Wonderblond, 'cause the skeeters prefer her.
Old 04-06-2013, 18:52   #8
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: No-see-um and mosquito repellent (Florida)?

They hate Tanquerray and Tonic....
mind... only saying that coz they never bothered me in Panama or the Marquesas... or most other places come to that...
then again... could have been the company I kept tasted sweeter...

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
boatman61 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013, 18:54   #9

Boat: Island Packet 380 - Delta Blues

We stayed in a Florida marina next to a swamp for six months and the no-see-ums were intense. Liveaboard next to us gave us a bottle of Juniper Breeze body lotion and it worked great. I bought a case and still use it. Not sure if it works for mosquitos.

https://sailingdeltablues.com/
dennisjay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013, 18:54   #10

Boat: 22' Westerly Nomad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bash View Post
I'll take your word for it. Here in California, I just snuggle close to Wonderblond, 'cause the skeeters prefer her.
When I was out West (AZ), bugs weren't really a problem, but here...there are roaches, no-see-ums, mosquitoes, fleas, ticks, chiggers...I got bit by chiggers a few times, and it takes me a good 6 months to heal up from their bites!

Tarantulas and scorpions weren't so bad after all...
Old 04-06-2013, 18:56   #11

Boat: Valiant 40

Citronella candles have always worked well for me against no se-ums particularly in small places like cockpits.
Suijin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013, 18:57   #12

Boat: Twin Otter de Havilland Floatplane

Hi Bash! All that matters is that RAID will kill no-see-um. If you want to go for technicalities...oil...natural products...Raid's "death therapy". Mauritz
Teknav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013, 19:14   #13
CF Adviser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Travelnik View Post
Tarantulas and scorpions weren't so bad after all...
I've been stung by scorpions twice now. I'll take a mosquito or no-see-um any day.

(Down in Baja we call the no-see-ums "jejenes." Their teeth are no bigger, but they're twice as thirsty.)
Old 04-06-2013, 19:30   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by dennisjay View Post
We stayed in a Florida marina next to a swamp for six months and the no-see-ums were intense. Liveaboard next to us gave us a bottle of Juniper Breeze body lotion and it worked great. I bought a case and still use it. Not sure if it works for mosquitos.
From what I've read and seen there are different species of mosquitoes and no-see-ums (jejenes in Mexico) and they are repelled by different kinds of things. In one particularly brutal place, San Blas, dried coconut husks are left to smoke and that does a pretty good job but nothing for the mosquitoes.

Where there are jejenes we anchor far enough out to avoid them. A mesh netting over the forward hatch and a mosquito coil in the cockpit under the dodger keeps most everything out of the boat.

When we burned coconut shells I'd put them in the cast iron pan up on the bowsprit with some bolts underneath to keep the heat off the wood.
rebel heart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013, 19:50   #15

Boat: Now we need to get her to Louisiana !! she's ours

Down here on the Bayou, we get at least 3 or 4 months of intense no-see-ems. What we use for them is Amber Romance sold by Victoria Secret stores!! Sometimes down here we have trouble getting it because the inland oil rig workers buy it up by the case ! It smells a little fru-fru, but it sure works !! Sorta reminds me of some of the places in Cuba I went to in the mid 50s LOL So if your wives are not with ya when ya use it be sure to show her the stuff so she don't give ya a hard time LOL But all kidding aside ! it works !! Just our 2 cents

Tags
florida