Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 10-07-2013, 16:25   #16

Boat: Islander Freeport 41' Ketch
Re: Need good dentist in ...?

Quote:
Originally Posted by belizesailor View Post
Of course, you can find poor medical care anywhere (including the USA). Go with known good references.

Excellent care at reasonable prices is widely available outside the USA. Mostly by USA and European trained doctors in Guate. For example, my primary Doc is a Stanford graduate.

Note that the US Embassies usually keep a list of recommended docs and hospitals so that is another source to check.

I'm currently in Panama and hear lots of good feeback about medical care here too. Had a friend who went to Panama City recently for extensive dental work, good experience, but I don't have contact info for his DDS (he's Canadian and chose to have the work done here).
Great ideas, and comments, Belizesailor! I will contact the Panamanian US Consulate. I did email the Pacific Medical Clinic in Panama City. I think I am going to make that my first stop, though I have not heard back from them yet, which is never a very good sign. I do want to do some of the work in Thailand, just because I want to see Thailand. I might have a good source there, but for many reasons, I want to get most of the preliminary work done before I go there. Anyway, thanks B! By the way, how's the weather down there?

“If you end up with a boring miserable life because you listened to your mom, your dad, your teacher, your priest, or some guy on television telling you how to do your ****, then you deserve it.” ― Frank Zappa
ty.gregory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2013, 17:23   #17

Boat: Ingrid
Re: Need Good Dentist in ...?

Dr Rosy Pena, San Jose del Cabo, Baja California Sur
Angel's Touch Dental Clinic - San Jose del Cabo, Los Cabos, Mexico

I have been going to Rosy for 9 years now. My third periodontics surgery here in the states was quoted at 38K. The pain and financial hardship for a third time was unbearable to me. The same work performed to better standards than I got in te states and it costs me 12K. No brainer.

Rosy and her staff are outrageous. NO Pain..... I was surfing the day after surgery. I go every year now, my children and THEIR children go there now.

PM me with any questions or concerns. The lady is flat out excellent. Tell her John from Seattle sent you.

I do medical in Singapore for the same reasons.

Old 10-07-2013, 19:34   #18

Boat: Hallberg Rassy 35. and 14ft.Whitehall pulling skiff.

It's interesting to note that those who have actually had the work done in other countries rave about it opposed to those who have not and give warning. I'm off to Mx. this fall on my boat for some major work.
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"

http://wwwjolielle.blogspot.com/
Celestialsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2013, 20:13   #19
Marine Service Provider

Boat: command yachtsdouglas32

Quote:
Originally Posted by Celestialsailor View Post
It's interesting to note that those who have actually had the work done in other countries rave about it opposed to those who have not and give warning. I'm off to Mx. this fall on my boat for some major work.
Is not that you cant get good work done,its more like what you going to do when something goes wrong like a staff infection and you have complacations? You want have a chance to take um to court when you have to go back stateside and have half your jaw removed (god forbid),, I read a story about a lady went down south and had a face lift,they sent her back in a coffen,didnt wake up from the sleepy meds.,the girl that put her under was the office asst.!! I said the whole time I was getting ready to go to Mex. for dental work that everyone should do it,after getting in the chair ,I started wigging out when they pulled instruments out of a desk drawer and didnt sterilize them,just rinsed in alcohol "after" I complained..you takes your chances is all im saying,good luck..
Old 10-07-2013, 22:05   #20

Boat: Cal 29
pirate Re: Need Good Dentist in ...?

It's a total crap shoot without recommendations, Ty. I wish I had been as careful as you're being. I had a crown made in Brownsville. The dentist was outside reading the paper as I came bopping along. Cheap and no problem. I have to smile as I recall his air compressor came on. The Campbell kind from Walmart.

Next time I flew to Juarez to a spot with an Internet presence. It was as Trop described with lots of people coming and going. I had 3 bridges made. One fell out in a few months. Another a year. The third is still there after 5 years but it has been severely criticized by my local dentist who has repaired ($$$$$$) the other stuff. I didn't save a nickel.

I'm not a fan of dentures but several people I know seem to be happy with them. Waaaaaaaay cheaper than posts, and implants, and all of that.

Good luck.
Old 11-07-2013, 00:05   #21
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Elan 434

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Crab View Post
It's a total crap shoot without recommendations, Ty. I wish I had been as careful as you're being. I had a crown made in Brownsville. The dentist was outside reading the paper as I came bopping along. Cheap and no problem. I have to smile as I recall his air compressor came on. The Campbell kind from Walmart.

Next time I flew to Juarez to a spot with an Internet presence. It was as Trop described with lots of people coming and going. I had 3 bridges made. One fell out in a few months. Another a year. The third is still there after 5 years but it has been severely criticized by my local dentist who has repaired ($$$$$$) the other stuff. I didn't save a nickel.

I'm not a fan of dentures but several people I know seem to be happy with them. Waaaaaaaay cheaper than posts, and implants, and all of that.

Good luck.
Hi Blue Crab,

I hear exactly what your saying and I hope so does Ty.
I've seen it happen a lot from the OTHER dental places.
A word of warning though: Denture wearers are dental cripples.
Once you are a denture wearer you are at the mercy of dentists and denturists, everywhere. Believe me when I say "there is nothing like your own" and crowns and bridge work are the next best thing. Implants are the Titanium screws that are drilled into the bone and have NO feeling so are a little like real teeth.
When I start taking with Denture wearers, yeh they start off saying no problems but after a few beers latter you wonder how the hell they haven't paid the extra for implants.
I preach to those who want to know,'Shop around with cash"
Derek
Old 11-07-2013, 01:04   #22
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Privilege 37

Dental tourism is well known in UK and Norway. Warsaw is the favoured destination at the moment.
Old 11-07-2013, 01:27   #23

Boat: Islander Freeport 41' Ketch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Crab View Post

Good luck.
I thank you Blue Crab. I thank everybody. I need names, I need credentials, I need a drink.
“If you end up with a boring miserable life because you listened to your mom, your dad, your teacher, your priest, or some guy on television telling you how to do your ****, then you deserve it.” ― Frank Zappa
ty.gregory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2013, 08:02   #24

Boat: Hallberg Rassy 35. and 14ft.Whitehall pulling skiff.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tropicalescape View Post
Is not that you cant get good work done,its more like what you going to do when something goes wrong like a staff infection and you have complacations? You want have a chance to take um to court when you have to go back stateside and have half your jaw removed (god forbid),, I read a story about a lady went down south and had a face lift,they sent her back in a coffen,didnt wake up from the sleepy meds.,the girl that put her under was the office asst.!! I said the whole time I was getting ready to go to Mex. for dental work that everyone should do it,after getting in the chair ,I started wigging out when they pulled instruments out of a desk drawer and didnt sterilize them,just rinsed in alcohol "after" I complained..you takes your chances is all im saying,good luck..
That's like standing in front of an open window and ducking every other second in case a baseball might come through the window and hit you. I mean...staying where it's safe in "Nanny State" in case you get an infection is living a semi-death called coping. I went to a Chiropractor that adjusted me by pulling on my leg which they shouldn't do and tearing cartilage. I tried to at least get him reported (not in court, thanx) and there was no way of proving anything. So I feel that this country is a pro at avoiding law suits. I just spent 4 sessions here this year with a crappy dentist who's office was basically a converted house. I brought my own X-rays on a memory stick to save the insurance (and me) the cost. When I gave it to the office worker, she asked what it was...really? I showed her where to plug it in since she didn't know what a USB port was and asked her to send it to there display monitor. She just looked like a deer in headlights. The Dr. came out and printed it on paper. He didn't even have a back-light screen. During the 4 sessions, he did nothing of what I asked and then wanted to remove a bridge by cutting it out. That was going to cost me $6000! That's when I decided to go to Mx to get work done this next year. I have friend here in Ca. who go down to Mx on a regular bases for years now. It's easy to find Dentist there with good reputations via the internet.
Sure...you're always going to hear the horror stories about the bad dentist or doctor in another country who screwed up. Just like you hear about the guy that went under the knife here for the wrong operation in this country. You'll notice it's usually 2nd or 3rd. hand information.
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"

http://wwwjolielle.blogspot.com/
Celestialsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2013, 08:44   #25

Boat: Paper Tiger 14 foot, Gemini 105MC 34 foot Catamaran Hull no 825

I went skiing in Japan about six years ago, Broke my bottom plate, Dentists in Hokaido are every where,
Full upper and lower in a week for $750-00 AUD, which at the time was the same as USD,

Exceptionally clean, Very Professional, We conversed on a language translater, Looked like an Iphone,

The same teeth here started from $2000-00 UP.

I did have the pin and ball set up attachments done here in OZ, But they fell out soon after I had them done, They were excellent while they lasted,
Old 11-07-2013, 09:05   #26

Boat: Twin Otter de Havilland Floatplane

ummm...you guys, when you go for dental or parts replacement, make sure you ask for CRAFTSMAN teeth and parts; they are guaranteed for life!

Mauritz
Going to behave now!
Old 11-07-2013, 09:34   #27

Boat: Cal 29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teknav View Post
ummm...you guys, when you go for dental or parts replacement, make sure you ask for CRAFTSMAN teeth and parts; they are guaranteed for life! !
Yepper. An adder to my story: My instinct was to walk back out when I got to the Juarez clinic. But I had flown in from FL and was scheduled to be there for a week ... and la de dah ...then they wanted to recap my perfectly good Mexican crown which I was confident in, then I paid extra for temporary crowns so I could walk around for a couple of days.

The temps looked like those Dracula gizmos for Halloween. That was an extra $100 US wasted. Then I paid $200 US to have the lab work done on the US side of the border. A compleat ripoff, as the quality was so poor even I could tell. I will spare you all the story of my root canal.

All up, I was there from 9 to 5. They provide transportation. After waiting in rush hour traffic for half an hour at the border, I got out and walked back to the hotel with a stop in a cantina to wash down the pain pills, an extra $70 US.

As I recall the Juarez website had some testimonials. I managed to get a confirmation on one of them but it wasn't "due" diligence. This was a pretty big operation. Maybe I was just unlucky. There is certainly no good reason a Mexican dentist wouldn't be as capable as anyone else.
Old 11-07-2013, 11:27   #28

Caution: dentist speaks out.
I was trained at University of Toronto, Canada’s largest university. Who knows if it’s the best? I didn't bother to try any others after my 8 years of struggle.
I practiced for 35 years in small town Canada. During that time we had many ‘refugees’ flooding in via church groups from Central America. And, on a daily basis I saw former eastern European patients. Almost without exception the quality was below acceptable N. American standards.
There were poor quality dentists in my town. There were high quality dentists there, too.
Without doubt the highest quality dentistry came from Germany, Scandinavian and countries USA/Canada. Unfortunately, no patient knows what goes on during their dental work or how to interpret the actual result. If they like the price, in many cases they are happy, regardless of the ‘quality’.
I will complete my revolution of the globe in a few months (cowering here in Buenos Aires waiting to go south). When I hit Chile, it’s done.
I have had dental procedures (minor) done in Marshall Islands, Philippines and Thailand. Seemingly up to good standard and I am not afraid to seek care anywhere in the world. The key, as others have mentioned, is to get a referral from a trusted friend. This works in N. America and around the world. If you are headed for complete reconstruction-implant wise-you must seek the services of a board-certified prosthodontist, either in Canada, Germany or USA. Too much at stake, never mind money.
Free advice is what it’s worth.
Pete
Old 11-07-2013, 16:24   #29
Marine Service Provider

Boat: command yachtsdouglas32

Quote:
Originally Posted by rigormortis View Post
Caution: dentist speaks out.
I was trained at University of Toronto, Canada’s largest university. Who knows if it’s the best? I didn't bother to try any others after my 8 years of struggle.
I practiced for 35 years in small town Canada. During that time we had many ‘refugees’ flooding in via church groups from Central America. And, on a daily basis I saw former eastern European patients. Almost without exception the quality was below acceptable N. American standards.
There were poor quality dentists in my town. There were high quality dentists there, too.
Without doubt the highest quality dentistry came from Germany, Scandinavian and countries USA/Canada. Unfortunately, no patient knows what goes on during their dental work or how to interpret the actual result. If they like the price, in many cases they are happy, regardless of the ‘quality’.
I will complete my revolution of the globe in a few months (cowering here in Buenos Aires waiting to go south). When I hit Chile, it’s done.
I have had dental procedures (minor) done in Marshall Islands, Philippines and Thailand. Seemingly up to good standard and I am not afraid to seek care anywhere in the world. The key, as others have mentioned, is to get a referral from a trusted friend. This works in N. America and around the world. If you are headed for complete reconstruction-implant wise-you must seek the services of a board-certified prosthodontist, either in Canada, Germany or USA. Too much at stake, never mind money.
Free advice is what it’s worth.
Pete
Surprising that the medicine in Marshall islands is of decent quality..I have been thru there and everyone seemed to be healthy..nice part of the globe..
Old 11-07-2013, 17:48   #30

Boat: Wildcat 35, Hobie 33
Re: Need good dentist in ...?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ty.gregory View Post
Great ideas, and comments, Belizesailor! I will contact the Panamanian US Consulate. I did email the Pacific Medical Clinic in Panama City. I think I am going to make that my first stop, though I have not heard back from them yet, which is never a very good sign. I do want to do some of the work in Thailand, just because I want to see Thailand. I might have a good source there, but for many reasons, I want to get most of the preliminary work done before I go there. Anyway, thanks B! By the way, how's the weather down there?
I would not be put off by lack of an email response...Central America is not a "wired" kind of place. Phone calls or in person visits tend to work better.

Weather is pleasant in Panama and if you don't like it where you are then you can pick a whole other climate within a few hours....tropical Caribbean in Bocas del Toro...or cool highlands in Boquete.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: