Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 09-11-2015, 04:31   #16
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
Re: Need for Immersion Suits

We carried, and used, “Mustang” Insulated Flotation Coats, and Flotation Suits. Not true Immersion Suits, but warm “foulies”, with flotation.
Like these:
Classic Flotation Coat MC1505
Classic Flotation Suit MS-185

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2015, 06:19   #17
Writing Full-Time Since 2014

Boat: PDQ Altair, 32/34

Quote:
Originally Posted by UNCIVILIZED View Post
If you've got cold water experience, as you say you do, then why the questions? You know of their importance, & their relatively low cost (as compared to other items onboard). So then, you have your answer.
Why do I not carry enough dry suits? First, I do think they are a good idea, and my intention was simply a discussion starter.

a. I don't sail off-shore in the winter, only in the Chesapeake Bay. Summer trips go further. Within the Bay CG response times are quite fast, and CG regs do not require them on inland waters.

b. My catamaran is basically unsinkable. I know that is a bold statement, but there are 2 crash tanks forward and 2 aft in each hull (yes, 8 tanks) and only about 40% of the waterline is NOT bulk headed.

c. I carry a nice powered inflatable that would reach shore somewhere within 2 hours max.

For me the risk is very low. I carry the dry suits for kayaking, maintenance, and MOB protection, not for abandonment.

Writing full-time since 2014.
Bookstore:http://sail-delmarva.blogspot.com/20...ook-store.html
thinwater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2015, 09:02   #18

Boat: 1970 hinckley 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike OReilly View Post
You can never absolutely 100% guarantee anything. That is a silly statement ... or one made by an insurance seller.

Look ... as always, these are risk assessments. If resources (space, $$) are not an issue, sure, get an immersion suit. Heck, get a mini-sub while you're at it. An immersion suit is useful if you go in the water. It's far better NOT to go in the water. Put your efforts into staying warm, dry and floating.
suit yourself. personally, I like contingencies. if things go really pear shaped and I end up losing the vessel. I'll be much happier in my liferaft and survival suit waiting for the USCG to home in on my EPIRB. as opposed to bobbing in the water waiting to die of hypothermia or drown. not telling you how to conduct your business I've just never understood that mindset.
Old 09-11-2015, 10:44   #19

Boat: 39' Westerly Sealord

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muckle Flugga View Post
Hmmm. Reminiscent of Persimmon. Do you know Ian?
Yes, shared a few anchorages with him in 2012 but that is Northanger.

The thread has prompted me to try and find some of those TPA's for the grab bag. ....
El Pinguino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2015, 10:46   #20
Writing Full-Time Since 2014

Boat: PDQ Altair, 32/34

Quote:
Originally Posted by frozenhawaiian View Post
suit yourself. personally, I like contingencies. if things go really pear shaped and I end up losing the vessel. I'll be much happier in my liferaft and survival suit waiting for the USCG to home in on my EPIRB. as opposed to bobbing in the water waiting to die of hypothermia or drown. not telling you how to conduct your business I've just never understood that mindset.
Actually, we all do. Most people would ask why anyone would go sailing in the ocean in a small boat in cold water. They'd be right, you know. It's an expensive, hazardous, pointless hobby, and we all know that.

Re-read your next to last sentence and tell me, truly, that drinking cup of tea in front of a fireplace is not more rational. The average man on the street would fine the whole paragraph and argument highly ironic.

So we make choices.

Writing full-time since 2014.
Bookstore:http://sail-delmarva.blogspot.com/20...ook-store.html
thinwater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2015, 11:02   #21
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

I think a key question on small craft is : can you get the suit on before she sinks?

Cheechako is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2015, 14:40   #22

Boat: 1970 hinckley 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheechako View Post
I think a key question on small craft is : can you get the suit on before she sinks?
not really, you can put them on once you're in the water.
Old 09-11-2015, 14:46   #23
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by frozenhawaiian View Post
not really, you can put them on once you're in the water.
Yeah you can, if the water's rough, and you are trying to get your ditch bag, life raft deployed etc... hmmm... just sayin!

Cheechako is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2015, 09:37   #24

Boat: Pearson 34-II

As with PFDs', it is a personal choice. We sail late into the Fall on the Great Lakes where air temperatures are in the 40"s(or less) and water temperatures are 50 degrees Fahrenheit or less. We never have carried an immersion or wet/dry suit. Our reasoning is that if we fall overboard, we would have less than 5 minutes before going into shock or sinking and it is not practical to wear those items while sailing. The important thing is a quick retrieval. In the case of a sudden, catastrophic sinking, one needs to ask if it is possible to don your suit in all conditions especially if you have been injured. The immersion suits are very cumbersome and it could be wasted effort. However, there are some on this Forum who have already responded that have done some very serious cold water sailing and their opinions should be well-heeled. So, the bottom line still remains a personal choice. It has much to do with your personality and life view. Good luck and good sailing.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: