Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 23-09-2017, 05:56   #1

Nassau, Bahamas Crime?

Elsewhere on a recent thread several commenters suggested avoiding Nassau at all costs as being too dangerous and not worth it.

I disagree. I think Nassau is a cool place to check out with lot's of history, interesting things to see, and very nice people. These do not include going to the Straw Market near the cruise ship docks, dining at Senior Frogs, or going sightseeing up at Fox Hill.

My question as a New Yorker, which small town folk think is a scary big city that in reality actually quite safe, is simply this, has anyone themselves or someone they know personally been a victim of crime in Nassau?

That's right, you or someone you have actually met, not someone you have "heard" about. If so what were the circumstances? Thanks.
Delancey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-09-2017, 06:01   #2
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 422
Re: Nassau, Bahamas Crime?

I can report the opposite. Had a couple of friends that lived in Nassau for years, neither locals; one was Canadian the other South African. Neither ever had any personal experience with mugging, break-in or other criminal incidents. However both did highly recommend using common sense, keep your street radar on and avoid certain areas.
skipmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-09-2017, 06:16   #3

Boat: CS36Merlin, "La Belle Aurore"

We love Nassau too but you cannot dispute the fact that the crime rate there must be high. Just the fact that you have to be buzzed into most stores is a sign. But, if you want examples, here's a few.

We were boarded at 3 in the morning while anchored off Paradise Island. Luckily we scared him off. A good friend was boarded while at a marina and had cash and jewelry stolen. Another cruiser who was foolish enough to wear a gold chain had it snatched while walking along Bay St. East. He chased the snatcher and got it back. We were in Nassau at the time these cases happened and knew the cruisers.

My wife who used to travel all over Nassau by bus no longer feels safe going alone. But we do still go all over. Never had an incident ashore but we look like poor pickings as we dress like most cruisers. We are very vigilant when we go ashore. We do not go ashore at night.
Old 23-09-2017, 06:52   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vasco View Post
We were boarded at 3 in the morning while anchored off Paradise Island. Luckily we scared him off.
Where specifically were you anchored? How did the offending party gain access to your boat? What did you have to do to scare him off? Were your hatches wide open or did you have a MarkJ styled security gate on your companionway and the boat obviously secured?

Quote:
A good friend was boarded while at a marina and had cash and jewelry stolen.
Was your good friend on board during the incident? Or was the boat broken into while unoccupied? What marina? What kind of jewelry was stolen? Had your good friend been walking around wearing their jewelry? Either in town or at the marina?

Quote:
Another cruiser who was foolish enough to wear a gold chain had it snatched while walking along Bay St. East. He chased the snatcher and got it back.
Someone walking around wearing a gold chain on Bay Street? Yeah, well. Jewelry is by definition ostentatious. Why would someone take jewelry cruising anyway? Who are they trying to impress?
Old 23-09-2017, 07:13   #5

Boat: 31' homebuilt Michalak-designed Cormorant "Sea Fever"

Here's Vasco's original thread on the boarding:

http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...au-145534.html
Cormorant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-09-2017, 07:33   #6

Boat: Beneteau 32.5

I've personally talked to two cruisers that had their dingies stolen, and another couple that had their boat boarded. I didn't feel particularly unsafe when I was in Nassau, but I think there is no doubt crime is higher there than the out islands.

In addition to the crime risk, I don't like the anchoring options and commercialization, but to each their own. If you enjoy Nassau, then spend a lot of your time there.
nautical62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-09-2017, 08:16   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by nautical62 View Post
I've personally talked to two cruisers that had their dingies stolen, and another couple that had their boat boarded.
Do you know what kind of dinghies? Outboards? What size? Were the dinghies out of the water on davits or on deck? In the water? Were they locked?

The couple that was boarded, were they on board at the time? Were they at anchor? In a marina?
Old 23-09-2017, 08:25   #8

My sample size is small, but even with limited time there I have witnessed crime in Nassau in broad daylight. Ditto Mazatlan Mexico. My gut says much worse than most US cities, but not that bad if you keep your street smarts and limit travel to daytime mostly.

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-09-2017, 08:35   #9

Boat: Hunter 340

While we were docked at a marina in Nassau, thieves broke into 3 boats taking cash and valuables. The owners of one boat were onboard and slept through the break in. Security has been beefed up considerably since this incident.
We winter in the Bahamas every year. If we are forced to stop in Nassau, we do not go ashore at night. If you must stop at a marina in New Providence Is., Palm Cay marina is the best alternative!
bgallinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-09-2017, 09:14   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by bgallinger View Post
While we were docked at a marina in Nassau, thieves broke into 3 boats taking cash and valuables. The owners of one boat were onboard and slept through the break in. Security has been beefed up considerably since this incident.
Just to be clear, you say "broke in" and "break in", do you mean to say in all three of these instances there was forced entry involved? As in pry bars breaking companionways? Saws cutting locks?
Old 23-09-2017, 09:18   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheechako View Post
I have witnessed crime in Nassau in broad daylight.
What kind of crime?
Old 23-09-2017, 10:01   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delancey View Post
Where specifically were you anchored? How did the offending party gain access to your boat? What did you have to do to scare him off? Were your hatches wide open or did you have a MarkJ styled security gate on your companionway and the boat obviously secured?

Was your good friend on board during the incident? Or was the boat broken into while unoccupied? What marina? What kind of jewelry was stolen? Had your good friend been walking around wearing their jewelry? Either in town or at the marina?

Someone walking around wearing a gold chain on Bay Street? Yeah, well. Jewelry is by definition ostentatious. Why would someone take jewelry cruising anyway? Who are they trying to impress?
You seem pretty determined to explain away the crime examples that you asked for. Not sure why you asked since you have apparently already made up your mind. How could it possibly matter what kind of jewelry was stolen from a boat? Is it okay to have certain jewelry stolen from your boat but not other jewelry?

Enjoy your travels to Nassau. Be careful and best of luck to you.
marlin driver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-09-2017, 12:07   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by marlin driver View Post
You seem pretty determined to explain away the crime examples that you asked for. Not sure why you asked since you have apparently already made up your mind. How could it possibly matter what kind of jewelry was stolen from a boat?
It matters if they were targeted specifically for jewelry they were seen flashing about doesn't it? I am not explaining away crime. I haven't made up my mind about anything.

I am just looking to distinguish fact from conjecture and to do that specifics matter, there's a difference between opportunistic petty theft and violent crimes against individuals.

When someone says Nassau should be avoided at all costs. My question is why?

Are you a newbie cruiser who has never travelled outside of the US before who had a dinghy stolen that was carelessly tied to your boat instead of chained with a lock? Or are you a seasoned veteran who was threaten with a machete before someone raped your wife and stole all your money?
Old 23-09-2017, 12:59   #14

Boat: Chris White Voyager 48

Quote:
Originally Posted by marlin driver View Post
You seem pretty determined to explain away the crime examples that you asked for. Not sure why you asked since you have apparently already made up your mind. How could it possibly matter what kind of jewelry was stolen from a boat? Is it okay to have certain jewelry stolen from your boat but not other jewelry?

Enjoy your travels to Nassau. Be careful and best of luck to you.
Agreed. Lots of examples and he wants to quibble about them.
Old 23-09-2017, 13:06   #15

Nassau, Bahamas Crime?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdazey View Post
Agreed. Lots of examples and he wants to quibble about them.

+1 It matters if precautions were taken or not. Speaks to how determined the bad guys were and likelihood of a careful cruiser staying below the radar which is what we're trying to get to ...

What does Noonsite say? "The crime rate is high (not only for theft) ... take care where you walk especially at night ... lock your dinghy and outboard to both mothership and dinghy dock."

Based on trusted source Noonsite I'm gonna call this one in favor of the poster who was yeah a little light on the actual details.
SecondBase is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
Bahamas, nassau