Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 22-01-2011, 08:32   #1

Boat: Beneteau First 42
Mute Sailing

I have just learned that an old friend has put his boat on the market. It seems that he has a disease that will require a Laryngectomy to give him any chance of survival, after which he will be unable to speak if he does. He feels that without speach, he will be uable to sail (can't speak or give instructions to crew, no radio, etc.) Does anyone have any experience with this? I'm kind of at a loss....
"It is not so much for its beauty that the Sea makes a claim upon men's hearts, as for that subtle something, that quality of air, that emanation from the waves, that so wonderfully renews a weary spirit."
svHyLyte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-01-2011, 08:37   #2
cruiser

ikinda doubt this.. he may not be able to speak, but he can learn how to sign/communciate... whistles will work... one whistle for coming to, two whistles for coming about, etc...

or knocking on the deck...

my daughter is deaf, and she is pretty mainstream, but, I know other deaf and mute people who function well, own business', etc... I have seen them on TV on dance shows, everything.

tell the guy to not give up.. it aint the end of the world...
Bergovoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-01-2011, 08:59   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Cooper 416 Honeysuckle
They make computers that can be programmed with phrases for speaking on radios and phones. Keys are programmed for entire words and phrases.

hummingway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-01-2011, 09:07   #4
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate

He can work through it.... reckon he'll change his mind once he gets past the initial shock/depression mode... if he into sailing in a serious way this will be like a mast failure... initially....
"Oh S*#t.... I'm well stuffed...." then our natural stubborness takes over and starts working out ways around it....
Where there's a will..... there's always a way....

It was a dark and stormy night and the captain of the ship said.. "Hey Jim, spin us a yarn." and the yarn began like this.. "It was a dark and stormy night.."
boatman61 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 22-01-2011, 09:11   #5
Long Range Cruiser

Location: Australian living on "Sea Life" currently in England.
Boat: Beneteau 393 "Sea Life"
I just had a friend on board for 10 days. I explained to him why talking from the cockpit to the foredeck doesn't work. I think ignored him till he flew out.

Seriously, speach on a boat is not needed. I haven't needed it for ages

I think when people have a handicap put on them they react seeing only the difficulties.... But I read somewhere a totally BLIND sailor sailed round the world!

Somalia Pirates and our Convoy
MarkJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-01-2011, 13:07   #6

Boat: Nassau 42 SV Ceol Mor
It sounds as if your friend is in a bit of a state of schock and isn't thinking clearly just now. Its ok, that is an understandable reaction.

I would ask him to wait before making a decision. Wait at least 2-3 months after his surgery before deciding to do anything. It might be that he wants to go ahead and quit which might really de because he wants to focus on other things or he might decide to hang in there in which case heres a bit of encouragement.

I was a musician for many years and I have the hearing loss to prove it. I have about 15% hearing in my left ear and the midrange is totally shot. When the wind is blowing more than 10 knots, I really can not make out what is being said. Its not a problem because we use hand signals to communicate. I just know that I have to watch a bit more carefully than those who can hear well.
Mimsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-01-2011, 13:30   #7
Eternal Member

Boat: Cabo Rico 38
I can't say for certain since I'm not in his shoes BUT I think my boat would be more important to me after such a procedure. My wife calls the boat therapy. On a nice day I'll go down and putz about, make a repair or two, or perhaps just sit in the cockpit and watch the world go by. It certainly beats sitting around the house and is about the most relaxing thing I can think of.

I don't know how big his boat is, but perhaps after time he might want to downsize to something that he'd be comfortable single handing. The computer generated voice is also a great idea. Hey if it's good enough for Stephen Hawking. Besides, there aren't that many times I even use my radio besides calling TowBoat US.

Rich
cabo_sailor is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
sailing