Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 29-01-2009, 05:55   #1

Do Motion Sickness Bracelets Work ?

Hi,

Something I have been thinking about recently is 'Motion Sickness Bracelets'.

Do they actually work? Has anyone tried using them?

Thanks in advance.
infonote is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-01-2009, 06:23   #2

Boat: Catalina 387 - Magical Dreamer
I have had them on the boat for years, never had to use them. When my daughter was having morning sickness, she was begging for anything. I gave them to her.

They are thinking of having another child sometime and refuses to give them back untill that is no longer an option! I guess they worked for her.
Doghouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-01-2009, 06:36   #3

Thanks for the quick response. Seems they work.
Can someone recommend some manufacturers, so I will look around and maybe buy some using Ebay.

Thanks
infonote is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-01-2009, 06:40   #4

Here ya go

Sea-Band Ltd - natural relief for all types of nausea
Chuteman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-01-2009, 07:14   #5

Boat: Lagoon 440 Ainulindale
These work. My wife will not get on the boat without hers and is fine with it. Supposedly they will work after the nausea begins, although she won't test that theory. They are expensive but she feels they are worth the expense as no other band has worked for her. We keep 3 on the boat for guests. My mother ( not a boater) uses one for nausea and also swears by it.
They are susceptible to damge during panic maneuvers, though.
On the other hand, there are those who do not believe they work.
Keep in mind that different remedies work better for different people.
For me, they made it possible for Donna and I to enjoy sailing together and that is good enough for me.:cubalibre

Sea Sickness And Travel Sickness Relief Band

"The future ain't what it used to be"
Tom Petty
nodee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-01-2009, 08:13   #6

Boat: Bruce Roberts Spray, 36' Steel Junk-Rigged Schooner
I don't get sea-sick, but I'm told ginger works better than most over the counter remedies...
Old 29-01-2009, 08:27   #7

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: We're technically refugees from our home in Yemen now living in Lebenon
Boat: 1978 CT48
They dont work for me.
Ginger tablets have worked so far.
James S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-01-2009, 08:37   #8

Boat: Sunbeam, 37, Ziamar
I can't speak from personal experience but I did a bunch of research before buying one of these. My conclusion is: The "relief band" referenced by Nodee seems to work for most people. There are other wrist bands that go all the way from elastic straps to copper bracelets that don't work. There are lower powered devices than the relief band that might work for some people but probably not for most. So I bought one, they ain't dirt cheap. I've tried it out at home and it's a little uncomfortable when you crank the power up. But, barfing over the rail is pretty uncomfortable too!!

I've also read a lot of good things about ginger. It seems that the thing that is most popular is a very thin slice of ginger root held under the tongue. Other things that apparently also work are: scopolamine patches (only by prescription) and Sturgeron, a drug that isn't available in the US but is available in Britain and in the Bahamas.

Bill
Bill_E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-01-2009, 08:51   #9

Seasickness: Kill or Cure

The MythBusters tested various seasickness cures. They wanted to see if any non-pharmaceutical, no-side-effect remedy would work.
Motion sickness is caused by your brain being unable to process conflicting signals from your sense: your eyes tell you that your surroundings are still, but your inner ear and your fine muscle controls are telling you that things are moving.
Test setup

They built a chair modeled after NASA's seasick chair. The chair spun around at 7 rpm while the person in the chair was ordered to move their head to touch tennis balls positioned in front, behind, and to the sides.
Finding the test subject

They had to figure out who in the MythBusters crew was susceptible to seasickness. Adam was a sure bet because of previous seasickness during the Jaws Special. Sure enough, Adam got quesy within 3 and half minutes on the chair. After a half an hour in the chair, Jamie was still fine. Kari and Tory were both fine as well. Grant became the final test subject. He lasted longer than Adam, but he got sick as well.
Remedy Testing

• Homoepathic tongue tingler. They used a unnamed spray that you squirt under the tongue as often as needed. Grant was sick within 10 minutes and vomited some small chunks. Adam was sick within 4 minutes.
  • Wrist straps:They wore little gray wristbands that are 'Barry Manilow's choice.' Adam was sick within 90 seconds. Grant got sick as well. They've gotten pretty quick with bringing a bucket to Grant.
  • *Ginger pills: It worked! Adam and Grant were both fine.
  • Small shocks on the P6 Accupunture point (on the wrist): Both Adam and Grant got sick.
  • Placebo: They told Grant and Adam they were getting an over-the-counter pharmaceutical remedy, but they actually gave them vitamins. Adam's reponse: "I hate this [bleeping] chair" after three and a half minutes. Grant: "This is among the most effective, if not the most effective."
  • Over-the-counter pharmaceutical drug: Worked on Adam and Grant, but it made them both a little loopy.
Only thing that worked without any side effects was the ginger pill.
Ginger pills: plausible

Source - Annotated Mythbusters: Episode 43: Seasickness Cures, Finger in the Gun Barrel, Tailgate Gas Efficiency
Old 29-01-2009, 18:21   #10

Boat: Privilege 39
Personally I think these bracelets are all in your head - if you believe it then maybe they will work. I seriously doubt they would work if you are a natural-born skeptic.
scotte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-01-2009, 18:30   #11

Boat: Lagoon 440 Ainulindale
ergo, even if it is all in your head, if it works, it works. still beats barfing.

"The future ain't what it used to be"
Tom Petty
nodee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-01-2009, 18:33   #12
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: Gozzard 36
Send a message via Skype™ to Pblais
Quote:
Do they actually work? Has anyone tried using them?
The Admiral swears by them at the same time she swears at me when it's rough out there. Never used them myself but you can get them on the Internet for under $100 us. Being sick when it's rough out there gets pretty bad after even a few hours. Just ask me and I don't get sick. FWIW, it's one of the few things that are really FDA approved as having benefit. I have seen it work for passengers that get sick thinking about it.
Pblais is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-01-2009, 18:55   #13

Boat: 34 Sabre Tempest
I purchased a product called Motion-ez (sp) it's an all natural Ginger oil, I believe.
I wanted something to keep on board for guests who might get sick. It's been used successfully 3 times so far. ( after the motion sickness arrived) a few drops applied behind the ears, like perfume.

Have no experience with the bands.
Old 29-01-2009, 21:10   #14
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Research vessel for a university, retired now.
I think its psychology affecting physiology. The mind can and does affect the body. If you think it could work, then it just may work. If you think that wearing a chain around your neck might work, then it just may. Same goes for wearing a purple jacket or size 10 black boots.

If it works, then it works, regardless of the true reason.

Life begins where land ends.
David M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-01-2009, 21:13   #15

Lol... true, true... but there is a fair bit of evidence in favour of the ginger.... but then taking it and BELIEVING it will work has gotta help too!