Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 16-12-2011, 07:01   #16

Boat: Hallberg Rassy 35. and 14ft.Whitehall pulling skiff.
Re: Mold infestation & "Odor Watch Vapour"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan_78 View Post
Question, out of curiosity...

Could having a dehumidifier onboard help limit the growth?

Absolutly....Dry air, sunshine (UV) and air flow are the enemies of mold. I'm sure there are a few more things mold does not like.

"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"

http://wwwjolielle.blogspot.com/
Celestialsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-12-2011, 11:28   #17
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Modified Choate 40

The first thing is you have to get the boat dried out of fresh water. Any surface in contact with salt water should be OK (bilges & external joints). Until then your wasting your time.

Unprepared boaters, end up as floatsum!.......
delmarrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-12-2011, 11:37   #18
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41
Send a message via Yahoo to zeehag Send a message via Skype™ to zeehag

i like the simple methods, myself---- vinegar and air movement..i never close my boat completely, i always leave a way for air to gain entry and i havent any problem with mold inside.
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-12-2011, 11:43   #19
cruiser

Boat: Morgan 33 OutIsland, Magic and 33' offshore scott design "Cutting Edge"

Im with zeehag on the vinegar. I have an air purifier with ozone generator I use on occasion. On the rare occasion Im in marinas I do a surface scrub with chlorine, hydrogen peroxide and vinegar mixed, Got that mixture from a mold remediation company. Followed by ozone treatment followed by straight vinegar that I let dry on. It has an inhibitory effect.
Old 16-12-2011, 11:52   #20

Boat: Pearson 281

I'm with Z and aboard Molly B I installed a woodburning stove for the cooler and damper periods to provide drying heat. I have also been increasing ventilation everywhere I can including replacing a solid sleeping platform above some storage with slats, holes cut into cabinet doors as needed and will be installing two large passive ventilators w Dorade boxes. I love the solar powered vents as well and am looking at where I can add those. Ventilation ventilation ventilation! Nothing new in that eh?
Old 16-12-2011, 11:56   #21
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Cooper 416 Honeysuckle

I'm going to repeat vinegar because it bears repeating. Places I've had mildew and then treated with vinegar resist it's return. The trick is to wash the area clean and then apply the vinegar and leave it to dry. It only smells for a day or two but I've had mildew grow beside a treated area so that you could actually see the wipe mark of the cloth; mildew beside where it had been wiped and none where the vinegar had been applied.

I'm a big fan of the stuff.

hummingway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-12-2011, 12:09   #22
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

White Vinegar is what we use to use in the old days on wooden boats in/around the above decks joints to prevent dry rot. Like the bow stem, transom corners, cockpit corners,house joints and decking. The old river boats use to put bags of rock salt in their bilges to cure the wood that was always wet.

Old 16-12-2011, 12:19   #23

Boat: 19' Flying Scot

Quote:
Originally Posted by four winds View Post
The unit listed above on Amazon is for "shock treatment" only.

Not that it's a bad deal. And shocking is needed before a lower daily setting is used, according to Air Zone. The continuous use setting bursts for a few seconds a minute and is adjustable for the space.
Shock treatment is whats going to actually kill the molds. I cant really recommend getting an "ozone" airfilters/airpurifiers. Ozone is not meant for that. Anything below 800mg/h isnt going to whole lot killing mold. Just maybe getting rid of the smell but not the underlying problem.

Well... at least thats what the internet says. I have no personal experience with mold killing using ozone.

But I highly do NOT recommend getting an ozone airfilters. Ozone is NOT good for you in anyway and does nothing to clean the air. The EPA even has a warning out for ozone generator airfilters.
Old 16-12-2011, 12:28   #24
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Ozone is just oxygen to the power of three. Ozone - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

It's also what's in the upper atmosphere. And it dissipates once exposed to circulating air.

Quote:
Most people can detect about 0.01 μmol/mol of ozone in air where it has a very specific sharp odor somewhat resembling chlorine bleach. Exposure of 0.1 to 1 μmol/mol produces headaches, burning eyes, and irritation to the respiratory passages.[8] Even low concentrations of ozone in air are very destructive to organic materials such as latex, plastics, and animal lung tissue.

Old 16-12-2011, 13:22   #25

Boat: 78 Pearson323 Four Winds

Yes, the Air Zone site says shocking is the needed first step to kill bacteria and mold spores. This at levels beyond what can be tolerated by humans, so it's done in unoccupied spaces at a high parts per million level.

The cheapest Air Zone unit will do this on a boat the size of mine. And the same unit can be used in burst mode at a low level of .01ppm to keep the air smelling fresh. They compare it to the smell of a rain shower.

Apparently ozone breaks down to oxygen in less than a hour. So the low level burst mode keeps things smelling fresh without a build up of ozone.

Seems reasonable to me. I'm still interested.
Old 16-12-2011, 14:04   #26

Boat: C&C Landfall 38

Hydrogen Peroxide and lots of elbow grease, unlike bleach or vinegar, there won’t be any residual chemicals in the areas treated. Becareful mixing it with other liquids like bleach the resulting gases will kill you in a confined space.
Old 16-12-2011, 14:10   #27

Boat: C&C Landfall 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by four winds View Post
Yes, the Air Zone site says shocking is the needed first step to kill bacteria and mold spores. This at levels beyond what can be tolerated by humans, so it's done in unoccupied spaces at a high parts per million level.

The cheapest Air Zone unit will do this on a boat the size of mine. And the same unit can be used in burst mode at a low level of .01ppm to keep the air smelling fresh. They compare it to the smell of a rain shower.

Apparently ozone breaks down to oxygen in less than a hour. So the low level burst mode keeps things smelling fresh without a build up of ozone.

Seems reasonable to me. I'm still interested.

Yes Ozone is O3 it’s very unstable and wants to be O2 real bad so it is a nasty oxidizing agent for a short time then become happy O2 again. Be careful near your engine room, as the hoses on the throughhulls might not like the Ozone and this may manifest itself at the worst possible time when your engine intake hose and bilge pump hose both die in the same 10 minute period.
Old 18-12-2011, 14:57   #28

Boat: Endeavour 43

I’m currently using an air purifier from Dometic which uses ultraviolet light to clean the air. A small muffin fan blows air across the lamp which cleans it up. I installed the unit on a shelf in the engine room which is open to the bilge. In about 3 to 4 days all bilge odor was eliminated and remains so. Of course if there’s a fuel leak or some other issue it would need to be eliminated or it would just overpower this small unit. Dometic makes larger units intended for air ducts, here’s the link. Breathe Easy Air Purifiers - Dometic
Old 18-12-2011, 16:03   #29
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

Cruisers Forum Supporter

The chlorine dioxide will apparently kill any mildew or mold on the boat if it is used properly. But then in order to prevent ew crud from literally growing on the debris of the dead crud, you need to thoroughly clean out the boat, i.e. wash down the entire interior, scrub it out clean, and then start running proper ventilation to prevent it from happening again.

Folks who use the solar vents seem very happy with them, no matter what passive airflow you have, these add to it and that seems to be enough to stop most crud attacks, if you also keep the boat reasonably dry.

But just killing the crud once, won't cure it. You need to kill, clean, and prevent the recurrence, all part of one plan.
Old 22-01-2012, 17:26   #30

Boat: Camper & Nicholson58 Ketch - ROXY Traverse City, Michigan No.668283

I don't care what the guy in the video clip says. I have used STRIGHT UNDILUTED clorox applied by all plastic pump sprayer on hard surfaces, in the bilge, in the lazerette. Black fuzzy stuff turns yellow-green and rinses off with absolutely no scrubbing. Last time I checked, there was no drywall in my boat. To gas the entire vessel, I tip up all deck boards & stand all cushions on edge (or remove them from the boat). Don the respirator and spray away. Close it up and wait a few hours before rinse and dry-out. The boat we imported from Florida had inch thick fuzz in many enclosed spaces. We have had no re-occurances. (5 seasons in Michigan) I also treated all lines (also black) in a 55 gallon plastic barrel with strong bleach solution followed by three days in the pool. (about a quart per 55 gallons of water) No more mold. I consider this the nuclear attack and don't care to repeat unless necessary.

I have been following posts on Kanberra Gel and don't find anyone with bad stuff to say about it. If this is a good maintenance treatment for a clean boat that would be nice. I'm always surprised to find products hyped like this that live up to the claims. Anyone try it?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC04059.jpg
Views:	83
Size:	406.4 KB
ID:	36350  

Tags
mold

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: