Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 24-06-2007, 12:37   #1

Post MODERN HIGH SEAS PIRACY

To anyone who plans, or have dreams of sailing. Sailing off to certain locales throughout the world. May find this site worth reading.

Modern High Seas Piracy

This other site gives you up-to-date detailed information on recent pirate attacks. Something you do not hear about on the daily evening news.

ICC Commercial Crime Services

"Those who desire to give up Freedom in order to gain security, will not have, nor do they deserve, either one." - Benjamin Franklin
CaptainK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-06-2007, 13:26   #2
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Hartley Tahitian 45ft. Leisure Lady
Before this turns into yet another "Chicken little" thread of Piracy on the high seas, please note one very important word used on the site. "COMMERCIAL"

For God so loved the world..........He didn't send a committee.
Alan Wheeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-06-2007, 13:41   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan Wheeler
Before this turns into yet another "Chicken little" thread of Piracy on the high seas, please note one very important word used on the site. "COMMERCIAL"
Oh really?

Jumping to conculsions already, Alan!!

Apparently, you did not read through all the listings. Including all the pin points on the map on the second link.

Yes. 99.9% where "commerical". BUT, a few where private. Listed as yachts!!

Just providing my 2 cents here Alan.

"Those who desire to give up Freedom in order to gain security, will not have, nor do they deserve, either one." - Benjamin Franklin
Old 24-06-2007, 13:57   #4

These are the general regions of all the pirate attacks. Past and present.

The pirates are attacking mostly commerical vessels. And private yachts!!

The maps does not show the Bangladesh area. They have warnings for day light sailing only. And warn do not sail at night, in that area.

This site has the maps here: Yacht Piracy - Info-Center für Blauwassersegler
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	weltkarte.gif
Views:	264
Size:	17.1 KB
ID:	1416   Click image for larger version

Name:	karibikkarte.gif
Views:	263
Size:	15.1 KB
ID:	1417  

Old 24-06-2007, 14:41   #5

Boat: Stevens 47

Scaremongering at it's worst....both those sites are COMMERCIAL sites offering protection services!..what else are they going to say except Piracy is gonna get you in the dark while you sleep...DUH!....Noonsite.com has all the info you need to avoid certain areas...One must keep all this in perspective...like the odds of piracy at sea for a PRIVATE sailboat versus the odds of getting killed on the freeway etc etc......Go sailing!!!!!!...forget all the reasons why not! especially the hyped-up nonsense ones.
Old 24-06-2007, 14:50   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rangiroo
Scaremongering at it's worst....both those sites are COMMERCIAL sites offering protection services!..what else are they going to say except Piracy is gonna get you in the dark while you sleep...DUH!....Noonsite.com has all the info you need to avoid certain areas...One must keep all this in perspective...like the odds of piracy at sea for a PRIVATE sailboat versus the odds of getting killed on the freeway etc etc......Go sailing!!!!!!...forget all the reasons why not! especially the hyped-up nonsense ones.
I couldn't agree with you more. Nor am I trying to freighten off people on not going sailing. Am just saying that the potential "is there".

I totally agree. Just go sailing!! Which is why we are all here on this forum. To gain knowledge. And news about the cruising life style. Right?

Old 24-06-2007, 17:15   #7
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Marine Trader 34DC
The potential "is there" in downtown Phoenix.

The Trawler Beach House
Voyages Of Sea Trek
AnchorageGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-06-2007, 17:35   #8

Boat: 50ft powercat, light,long and low powered
A copy of my post from the other thread.

I would like to point out that I believe that the risk to actual attack on yacht's in Asian water's is negligable, yet have heard of intimidating action's in Indonesia'n water's.

I would also like to point out that some feel that Australian Custom's have been known to use intimidating tactic's on yacht's as well.

After wading through most of these site's recently it would seem that commercial shipping is the target in most cases though.

Saying that, there are cases in the Red Sea area where yachties are targeted.

I am hoping the Malacca Straight's are still safe for non-comercial boat's as after holidaying in Langkawi and Penang areas for 3 week's we are more than keen on baseing our boat up here for an indefinite period.

We spoke to quite a few yachties while there, and eventualy asked the question [ felt like a goose for doing it ] about any attack's heard of.

They all reckoned that they had heard of none that were actual attack's, but a few pannicky types had been approached by boat's, but mostly you are left totally alone by everyone.

A map I got from the ICC site ICC Commercial Crime Services show's a couple of attempted attack flag's up near Langkawi which is a cause for concern though

They also said that Indonesia was a totally different story and to get through that part of town as far out and as fast as possible as official looking characters in official looking boat's have behaved in a not very official way and did make one feel quite uncomfortable at times.

There's no way that i'd consider pulling gun's on any of these guy's though.

I think it's best just to avoid the hotspot's that affect yachties which as mentioned earlier seem to mainly be the Red Sea area and arguably Indonesia.

Dave
Attached Thumbnails
Old 24-06-2007, 18:57   #9
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Maxi 77 - Relax Lah!
"I am hoping the Malacca Straight's are still safe for non-comercial boat's"

The biggest risk in the Mallaca straits is running into floating crap in the water. Logs, nets, trash, you name it.

I have lot's of friends who travel the straits at least once or twice a year on teh way to Thailand, Langkawi and Penang. Your chances of getting struck by lightning are probably higher.

Having said that you do need to be aware of the geo-political situation wherever you travel.

There are parts of the Philippines where as a westerner I am wary to travel and I am married to a Filipina. Insurgencies are up at record level is the south of Thailand. Parts of Indonesia should be visited with caution.

However - the majority of piracy acts are against commercial boats. They realize that the average pleasure boat is not worth robbing and stealing and selling boats is risky. Commercial boats are a fat target.

If by some remote chance you did get stopped in the Straits I am 100% certain it would be a matter of handing over your valuables and you would be on your way.

We did get stopped in the Philippines on a road trip.

Guys with M-16s, "Welcome to our village! Would you like to contribute to our town fiesta?"
Me, "Of course I'd like to contribute to your town fiesta! How much would I like to contribute, do you think?"
Guys with M-16s, "About 5000 pesos would be a generous contribution."
Me, "OK. Here you go! Have a great Fiesta."
Ex-Calif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-06-2007, 20:16   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ex-Calif
"

The biggest risk in the Mallaca straits is running into floating crap in the water. Logs, nets, trash, you name it.

I have lot's of friends who travel the straits at least once or twice a year on teh way to Thailand, Langkawi and Penang. Your chances of getting struck by lightning are probably higher.

."
Totally agree with you.

Saw all sort's of stuff on the ferry ride from Penang to Langkawi and wouldnt like to run into it at night as apparently it's mostly unlit.

Saw and endless supply of these fishing structures in the water but I'm sure the fishermen who own it don't think it's crap though.

Daytime stinkboating for me I think.

Dave
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Malaysia 1 042 (Large).jpg
Views:	225
Size:	112.7 KB
ID:	1420  
Old 24-06-2007, 20:59   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck Baier
The potential "is there" in downtown Phoenix.
Chuck. Sounds like you know Phoenix? Not all of downtown is bad. But then again. It's hit and miss in some spots here in this growing city in the desert.

Old 24-06-2007, 21:17   #12

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Steel Roberts Offshore 44
Grain of salt...

Without wanting to downplay the importance of anti piracy warnings I was concerned when the map showed the Visayas in the Philippines as a hotbed of piracy.

I tried to get more accurate information from the International Maritime Bureau website but the best I could manage was that there had been three attacks on fishing boats.

This was a concern as I have spent a small amount of time in the area and had never heard of a pirate attack.

I would suggest that the person putting the pins in the map may not have a strong grasp of the geography of the region. I would suspect the attacks may have taken place further south in the region around the south of Mindanao. This area is not subject to rigorous law enforcement and should be avoided.
Old 24-06-2007, 21:22   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boracay
Without wanting to downplay the importance of anti piracy warnings I was concerned when the map showed the Visayas in the Philippines as a hotbed of piracy.

I tried to get more accurate information from the International Maritime Bureau website but the best I could manage was that there had been three attacks on fishing boats.

This was a concern as I have spent a small amount of time in the area and had never heard of a pirate attack.

I would suggest that the person putting the pins in the map may not have a strong grasp of the geography of the region. I would suspect the attacks may have taken place further south in the region around the south of Mindanao. This area is not subject to rigorous law enforcement and should be avoided.
I agree.

I have some friends on Mindanao. And they told me that they still are fighting rebel insurgents there. So that is probably what those pins meant in the first place.

Old 24-06-2007, 21:32   #14

This map show's a few more than the 3 in the Phillipines, and from the same sight is this desciption of who the ICC is.

Modern High Seas Piracy

To be more specific, in 1981 theInternational Chamber of Commerce established the London based "International Maritime Bureau." The IMB is headed by Eric Ellen who with a dedicated staff has led an almost single handed war against piracy over the last 20 years. As a former Chief Constable of the Port of London Police, Mr. Ellen's staff is the central coordinating agency for reporting International Piracy.

In 1992, the IMB established a special "Piracy Reporting Center" under the direction of Captain Pottengal Mukundan at Kuala Lumpur. Rapid reporting by these agencies has been credited with many foiled piracy attempts and multiple victim vessels recovered.

The IMB has moved forward to create a variety of public and private programs designed to combat piracy. One program about to be launched is the "Rapid Response Investigative Service." Teams of trained anti-pirate investigators will move within hours to complete criminal investigations often requiring many days on the part of poorly trained port officials. The program is not only designed to bring more of the criminals to justice, but also will hopefully address the problem of under-reporting.

But at the end of the day it is undoubtadly mainly commercial shipping, though I reckon something shiny, pretty and sleek like I am building may attract a second look.

The Financier would'nt fund the relatively unatractive handpainted trawlerish powercat that I wanted to build originaly, but would fund what we are doing now.

Hope the choice doesnt come back and bite us on the arse.

Dave

Old 24-06-2007, 23:16   #15
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Hartley Tahitian 45ft. Leisure Lady
Quote:
Oh really?

Jumping to conculsions already, Alan!!
OK, so....you comment like this when I make a view opposed to yours and then when many others post a similar point of view like mine, you take the other side of the argument??

For God so loved the world..........He didn't send a committee.
Alan Wheeler is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
piracy

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: