Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 16-08-2015, 05:00   #1
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
MOB Search Abandoned

The Queen Mary 2 has abandoned the search for a crewmember who went overboard Saturday off the coast of Newfoundland.
Queen Mary 2 abandons search for missing crewmember - Newfoundland & Labrador - CBC News

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-08-2015, 17:33   #2

Re: MOB Search Abandoned

Ya, I thought about posting this one too. Not a whole lot of info on the crewman. Kind of sounds like he disappeared off shift maybe.

Sent from my XP7700 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
FamilyVan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-08-2015, 18:26   #3

Extremely spotty reporting, at best.

"Passenger Allan Bonner said there were numerous on-board announcements for a man called Favio Ordenes, believed to be a 26-year-old chef, before the search began."

Announcements? Like, "Attention ... Favio Ordenes please report to the kitchen, you are late for the red-eye shift." So, they were unsure where he was? Maybe he's sleeping off a bender somewhere deep in the bowels of the liner.

"It has been clearly established that the crew member went overboard earlier this morning"

Clearly established? How? Visual sighting of a swan dive? Suicide note? Murder confession?

"The rocking of the usually calm ship was a signal that something abnormal was going on."

Rocking? What does that mean? Heavy seas? Just turning the boat around?

Anyway, North Atlantic waters mighty chilly, even in August.

Lots missing from this story.

Queen Mary 2 crew member feared drowned after falling overboard*near Newfoundland | Daily Mail Online
PortClydeMe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-08-2015, 04:10   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by PortClydeMe View Post
Extremely spotty reporting, at best.

"Passenger Allan Bonner said there were numerous on-board announcements for a man called Favio Ordenes, believed to be a 26-year-old chef, before the search began."

Announcements? Like, "Attention ... Favio Ordenes please report to the kitchen, you are late for the red-eye shift." So, they were unsure where he was? Maybe he's sleeping off a bender somewhere deep in the bowels of the liner.

"It has been clearly established that the crew member went overboard earlier this morning"

Clearly established? How? Visual sighting of a swan dive? Suicide note? Murder confession?

"The rocking of the usually calm ship was a signal that something abnormal was going on."

Rocking? What does that mean? Heavy seas? Just turning the boat around?

Anyway, North Atlantic waters mighty chilly, even in August.

Lots missing from this story.

Queen Mary 2 crew member feared drowned after falling overboard*near Newfoundland | Daily Mail Online
Clearly established probably means review of CCTV material on a passenger vessel.

Old 17-08-2015, 04:44   #5
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Murray 33-Chouette & Pape Steelmaid-44-Safara-both steel cutters

A bit more here, but still not much.

Queen Mary 2 abandons search for missing crewmember - Newfoundland & Labrador - CBC News

Back in mid 70's while I was stations at Elizabeth City we had a search for a guy off a freighter. Off Virginia IIRC. One of our planes actually found him and they got a hell out to pick him up.

Bloody lucky chap. We were amazed. Seeing a head in the ocean is remarkable.
hpeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-08-2015, 04:47   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by FamilyVan View Post
Clearly established probably means review of CCTV material on a passenger vessel.

I thought about that, yet why the numerous "announcements"? CCTV too grainy for positive ID? I'd think any MOB footage should instigate a full stop / prompt double-back.

Gap-laden investigative reporting annoys me to no end.
Old 17-08-2015, 04:56   #7

Well, I'm guessing he didn't show up for work, his supervisor eventually called the bridge, first step in the procedures would be to try to locate the guy on board using announcements, it wouldn't be unusual in a situation like that to find the guy passed out drunk in a buddies cabin or under the sheets in a lady friends cabin. Not that this ever happened to me in my sailing days of course

When the announcements failed to produce results they likely would have reviewed the CCTV footage, which would take quite some time on a vessel that size.

Old 17-08-2015, 05:15   #8

Quote:
Well, I'm guessing he didn't show up for work, his supervisor eventually called the bridge, first step in the procedures would be to try to locate the guy on board using announcements, it wouldn't be unusual in a situation like that to find the guy passed out drunk in a buddies cabin or under the sheets in a lady friends cabin. Not that this ever happened to me in my sailing days of course

When the announcements failed to produce results they likely would have reviewed the CCTV footage, which would take quite some time on a vessel that size.

Good points. However, in any cruise-liner MOB, "How?" is the obvious first question. The jurisdictional fogginess off NB helps Cunard implement damage control, I suppose. What do they say? Loose lips sink ships?

Something that I found odd was that the liner spent time communicating with "experts on shore" (paraphrasing) to ascertain whether of not the seas were survivable. What? Cunard doesn't have a basic understanding of North Atlantic water temps in August?
Old 17-08-2015, 05:35   #9

If in Canadian Jurisdiction the Search would have been under the direction of a JRCC in Canada, likely Halifax in this case. Department of National Defence, with assistance from the CCG.

I'm afraid the how should be obvious, but I would rather not say it out of respect or in case my best guess is wrong.

Old 17-08-2015, 05:39   #10

Quote:
If in Canadian Jurisdiction the Search would have been under the direction of a JRCC in Canada, likely Halifax in this case. Department of National Defence, with assistance from the CCG.

I'm afraid the how should be obvious, there are only a couple of likely possibilities, but I would rather not say them out of respect or in case my best guess is wrong.

Tags
arc, mob