Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Seamanship, Navigation & Boat Handling > Health, Safety & Related Gear
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 15-06-2016, 14:26   #76

Boat: Bieroc 36 foot Ketch
Re: Merged Thread: New Zealand Yacht with One Deceased and Another Missing

Quote:
Originally Posted by reed1v View Post
Hum, one person says its not the wind, its the seas; another says its not the seas, its the wind. Ok, guess you both have been in more hurricanes at sea than us; so we must defer to your superior experience. Our humble experiences in three oceans: Indian, South Pacific, and North Atlantic were strangely different than yours.
High winds, massive seas and you are relatively protected except when you crest a sea. Never saw part of a wave flying through the air. That is a good one.
You can however drown from the spindrift, its thick and leaves little room for air to breath. FYI, at least for our tub of a boat, letting it assume its natural position worked, so did lying ahull with just a bit of tri sail, and so did going downhill with bare poles.
I think part of the problem is the lack of humility

Can I remind you that in 1998 (S2H) six very experienced sailors and five very well equipped boats were lost in winds reaching 60 knotts. Waves were reported to be as high as ever seen in the race.

Something about your experience doesn't add up.
Rustic Charm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-06-2016, 14:32   #77

Quote:
Originally Posted by reed1v View Post
Yes, happened on the Ranger when a sea broke clean across the forward deck. Lost two planes in that one. But naval ships act like breakwaters, not like a floating duck. Dont get too carried away with the photoshopped youtube stuff. The spectacular stuff usually occurs when there is either a strong counter current to the storm surge or the ocean bottom suddenly rises up. We were more afraid of holes opening up in the sea. Notorious ones occur off the west coast of southern Africa. Then even ducks can get swallowed up.
Wow, that yacht going over is the best Photoshopping I've ever seen.
Old 15-06-2016, 14:39   #78

Boat: Outbound 44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul L View Post
Local news reports a tug enroute to the Platino to recover the body onboard. Recent position here https://www.yit.nz/yacht/platino
Fixed position link
Old 15-06-2016, 14:42   #79

The route between Fiiji and New Zealand can be a notoriously dangerous one. On record as one of, if not the worst is the 1984 Queens Birthday storm. Thus the reason I've elected to sail the route to Australia twice, bypassing New Zealand. My suggestion is to FLY from Australia for a visit to New Zealand..
Wrong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-06-2016, 14:43   #80

Boat: Westerly Sealord

Just hope it doesn't happen to you when you get old(er) Rusty.... as you can see its not pretty.

I've probably been out in 150 knots lots and lots of times but I find that when the wind gets above 70/80 knots my wind instruments blow away.. so above that its just a guesstimate anyway.....

That is honest about the wind instruments... happened once when tied to trees... other time half a mile off a weather shore so flatish water...
Old 15-06-2016, 15:02   #81

Boat: 45ft Ketch

Seems like the poster with no profile has no boat and no experience.
DumnMad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-06-2016, 15:50   #82

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Pinguino View Post
Just hope it doesn't happen to you when you get old(er) Rusty.... as you can see its not pretty.

I've probably been out in 150 knots lots and lots of times but I find that when the wind gets above 70/80 knots my wind instruments blow away.. so above that its just a guesstimate anyway.....

That is honest about the wind instruments... happened once when tied to trees... other time half a mile off a weather shore so flatish water...
I have no intentions of being out in anything beyond 30 knotts if I can help it. Though I've been out in 45 knotts a couple of times and I really didn't like that either. Even after I went under bare poles I was still doing 6 knotts through the water.

150 knotts I'd probably be hugging the epirb
Old 15-06-2016, 16:09   #83

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rustic Charm View Post
I have no intentions of being out in anything beyond 30 knotts if I can help it. Though I've been out in 45 knotts a couple of times and I really didn't like that either. Even after I went under bare poles I was still doing 6 knotts through the water.

My tongue was in my cheek... but I have had wind instruments blown away as described.

!50 knots is all bollocks.... but you know how it goes... the closer your bum is to the water the stronger the wind and higher the seas... just like the early reports in this case of 100 knot winds..... which was all non sense.

Back on track.. if a tug has been dispatched I imagine they shall try and salvage her.
Old 15-06-2016, 16:16   #84

I'm a little surprised a 'tug' would go out that far to salvage an abandoned vessel Is it likely ?
Old 15-06-2016, 16:20   #85

Boat: Vagabond 14

Quote:
I'm a little surprised a 'tug' would go out that far to salvage an abandoned vessel Is it likely ?
Depends on the potential profit from salvage.

That boat was worth doing a >$1 mill refit recently... Salvage can be 5% to 50% of total value of the vessel.

A potential >$1 million salvage fee is a strong incentive to take some risk and spend a few days at sea.

There are some pretty large seagoing tugs capable of easily transiting from San Francisco to Hawaii while towing an aircraft carrier.
TurninTurtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-06-2016, 16:27   #86

Other than mast and rigging, I wonder what other systems were knocked out. After such an expensive refit I suppose that it is now just an insurance claim.

Sad for all involved.
PortClydeMe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-06-2016, 17:13   #87

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurninTurtle View Post
Depends on the potential profit from salvage.

That boat was worth doing a >$1 mill refit recently... Salvage can be 5% to 50% of total value of the vessel.

A potential >$1 million salvage fee is a strong incentive to take some risk and spend a few days at sea.

There are some pretty large seagoing tugs capable of easily transiting from San Francisco to Hawaii while towing an aircraft carrier. didn't know that. Ta.
So at most the value of the vessel would be $2m I can't see it. I really can't see it. I'd doubt an insurance company would pay anyone $1m or anywhere near it for a vessel like this. How much could it be worth?
Old 15-06-2016, 17:14   #88

Quote:
I am relying on a previous post that said a 'tug' had been sent to recover Nick Saull's body.

If that is so it may be that the same tug has been 'contracted' by either the underwriters or the owners to try and salvage the yacht which I imagine has quite a high insured value.

There are a couple of other things at play here which I don't think it would be right or proper for me to mention. They would, however, mean that people may be going the extra mile on this one at various levels.
Old 15-06-2016, 17:23   #89

Quote:

the Hiscocks use to say in their various presentations they only hit bad weather twice in their four times around the world. Always waited for good weather windows. Obviously the way to go. Some of us kept screwing up.
reed1v is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-06-2016, 17:25   #90

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Pinguino View Post
I am relying on a previous post that said a 'tug' had been sent to recover Nick Saull's body.

If that is so it may be that the same tug has been 'contracted' by either the underwriters or the owners to try and salvage the yacht which I imagine has quite a high insured value.

There are a couple of other things at play here which I don't think it would be right or proper for me to mention. They would, however, mean that people may be going the extra mile on this one at various levels.

Tags
arc, New Zealand, overboard, yacht