Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 14-06-2016, 13:51   #46

Re: Merged Thread: New Zealand Yacht with One Deceased and Another Missing

Quote:
Originally Posted by alansmith View Post
No matter how we look at extrapolations and nit pick over this and that...two experienced sailors are claimed by Davey Jones. Over the years I can't keep track of how many fatalities and rescues occurred in that area of the world. I am so sorry for these men who lost their lives and the families who must go it alone without them. What a mess for all concerned. RIP.

Boats break in big seas all the time. They fall off of waves. They get stuffed and stopped suddenly. It doesn't take a hurricane. You also have to factor in fatigue and sea sickness affecting the crews. Things flaying around in even a forty mph wind can be lethal. The boom breaks at the goose neck on a large boat like this...the shizzle is on. I got hit in the head with a shackle many years ago in just beer can racing in 20 knots of wind and went slack in the knees. It happened so quickly. These poor guys lost their lives due to gear failure. Horrific.
Yet in this case, it was a failure of the rigging, not the boat. Sounds like old rigging.And boats do not break in big seas ALL THE TIME. Majority of boats breaking up from navigational errors, poor maintenance, and drunkenness.
reed1v is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-06-2016, 14:08   #47

Boat: Westerly Sealord

Quote:
Originally Posted by reed1v View Post
Yet in this case, it was a failure of the rigging, not the boat. Sounds like old rigging.And boats do not break in big seas ALL THE TIME. Majority of boats breaking up from navigational errors, poor maintenance, and drunkenness.
What a truly remarkable and very tasteless statement from the man who sails in 160 knot winds.

Did you miss the bit about the $1M NZ refit...completed just 12 months ago?

Please do share some of your tales about sailing through the eye of these many named storms that you been out in.

And also... do try and keep up with the herd... there's a good chap.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	P1190584.jpg
Views:	299
Size:	40.0 KB
ID:	126185  
Old 14-06-2016, 14:22   #48

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Pinguino View Post
What a truly remarkable and very tasteless statement from the man who sails in 160 knot winds.

Did you miss the bit about the $1M NZ refit...completed just 12 months ago?

Please do share some of your tales about sailing through the eye of these many named storms that you been out in.

And also... do try and keep up with the herd... there's a good chap.
Your obsequious naivete probably reflects your lack of sea going experience. The story did say specifically it was a rigging failure. Rigging failures do not occur unless faulty materials were used, maintenance was not carried out(hey, gee, what is this pin for), or the handling of it(lets screw down real tight these shrouds) is messed up. So perhaps when you do go to sea you will remember to check the rigging each day.
reed1v is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-06-2016, 14:38   #49

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

Quote:
Your obsequious naivete probably reflects your lack of sea going experience. The story did say specifically it was a rigging failure. Rigging failures do not occur unless faulty materials were used, maintenance was not carried out(hey, gee, what is this pin for), or the handling of it(lets screw down real tight these shrouds) is messed up. So perhaps when you do go to sea you will remember to check the rigging each day.
Reed, you might just want to do a quick bit of research about the guy that you are slanging... before you make an even bigger ass out of yourself.

Oh... you are too busy to do so? Just a hint, then: retired master mariner, with many years of high latitude cruising in his yacht.

Jim
Old 14-06-2016, 14:59   #50

Boat: a sailing boat

Material failures happen even in brand new components, and not just in nowadays Chinese made items of unknown testing procedures and without proven and trusty quality control specs. One example is is out and out racing boats with 'no budget limit' equipment that can lose a stick just like fingers snap. New rigging, new mast, top notch riggers and top grade sailors.

Inspecting the rigging daily ... assumes the requesting party has not sailed a maxi. Esp a maxi in heavy going.

So we will wait and listen and maybe learn what failed and how this new piece of knowledge may help us avoid similar trouble in our own boats.

As for 160 mhp (omg) winds, waves, hurricanes and sailors who sailed named storms: IRRELEVANT. As with equipment failures, both experienced sailors and rookies make small mistakes or else end up knocked down or overboard with zero respect for their shades and grades. Pure bad luck. Ask anyone who sailed enough.

People who trust in rigging that does not snap and sailors that are so experienced that they never end up washed overboard ... should best stay in their armchairs.

Too bad lives were lost. Let's hope we can each learn something that will make our sailing safer and better.

Have a fine evening,
b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-06-2016, 15:12   #51

Don't worry about him ,Jim, I'm not.

The 'rig failure' is from the same papers as brought us the '100/160 knot winds'.. nuff said.
As Alan said above it takes a nano second for things to go pearshaped in the conditions she was in.. and the simplest thing can turn lethal very quickly.

A bit more about the yacht...
Bought in Sydney with fire damage caused by an adjacent boat catching fire. Shipped to NZ. Lady who owns her has more than a few ocean miles under her belt.
Money was not a concern in the refit.
Mast and rigging were overhauled/renewed 'off site' ,i.e. not at Gulf Harbour , and I don't think it was done in someone's back yard...
Phil Ash, of GHR -another top bloke, fitted the rig back on the boat.
You don't live next to a project like that for almost a year without knowing something about it.

By the way , the weather in the Strait a few weeks back was why I gave up the day job... that was a once in a decade event that was well overdue... and I don't do 'rough' anymore...if I can avoid it
Old 14-06-2016, 15:25   #52
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: FP Belize Maestro 43 and OPBs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Cate View Post
Reed, you might just want to do a quick bit of research about the guy that you are slanging... before you make an even bigger ass out of yourself.
Sorry Jim, that's impossible.
StuM is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 14-06-2016, 15:29   #53

Boat: Bieroc 36 foot Ketch

Quote:
seriously, you want to go after el capitan

This is going to be fun to watch
Rustic Charm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-06-2016, 15:35   #54

Quote:
Don't worry about him ,Jim, I'm not.

ahh Ping, I just made myself a cup of coffee and sat back down to watch the entertainment . Now I'm going to have to do some work
Old 14-06-2016, 15:47   #55

Sorry to disappoint you there Rusty, but I fear he is a one trick pony from Bum****, Nebraska, and not really worth the effort.
I'm too busy knocking up a big thick bit of Lomo Vetado for dins which I shall wash down with a nice Carménère..
Old 14-06-2016, 16:00   #56

Quote:
Sorry to disappoint you there Rusty, but I fear he is a one trick pony from Bum****, Nebraska, and not really worth the effort.
I'm too busy knocking up a big thick bit of Lomo Vetado for dins which I shall wash down with a nice Carménère..
I had to google 'Lomo Vetado'

Rare I trust I like mine just dehorded and slap it's but so it runs past the candle.
Old 15-06-2016, 02:42   #57

Update.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpeg
Views:	261
Size:	67.7 KB
ID:	126200  
Old 15-06-2016, 03:15   #58

Boat: Alloy Peterson 40

I see no mast...

Sent from my SM-G930F using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
Old 15-06-2016, 04:19   #59

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowpetrel View Post
I see no mast...

Sent from my SM-G930F using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
I understand the mast came down and fatally injured him.
Old 15-06-2016, 05:05   #60

So the first photo published was pre-incident then?

Strange that she was carrying no sail, strange that the RNZAF was taking pics of her.

I'm sure we will hear what happened in the fullness of time.

Tags
arc, New Zealand, overboard, yacht