Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-06-2015, 10:54   #1

Boat: gulfstar ketch 41 Surya
Medical Marijuana

I am thinking of taking on a crew member when I head south in October on the ICW. The crew from California has a prescription for medical Marijuana for blood pressure control. Is this a bad idea, as the chance of getting boarded by Coasties or other law enforcement is pretty good.
Thanks
S/V_Surya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2015, 11:02   #2

Boat: 46' custom cat "Rum Doxy", Roughwater 41"Abreojos"
Re: Medical Marijuana

Looks like once you get south of Maryland it could be an issue.

State Marijuana Laws Map

I've not been to the ICW, but is there really a good chance you will be boarded and searched? I've not heard of this being an issue since 'Zero Intelligence' was abolished.

www.sailblogs.com/member/rumdoxy

Come to the dark side. We have donuts.
mikereed100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2015, 11:03   #3

Boat: islandpacket

As long as he's in California,
I don't see a problem.

Sent from my SM-G860P using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
Old 01-06-2015, 11:06   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: 1976 Sabre 28-2
Send a message via Yahoo to roverhi

Almost anyone can get a Medical Marajuana prescription in states that allow it. If MJ is illegal where you'll be sailing, the boat is open to being confiscated and probably in a state where it's legal if the CG and Fed's get involved. Do you want to risk your boat??. All you need is a Coast Guard boat with a drug sniffing dog to get within hailing distance of your boat to get you boarded. In any case, the CG doesn't need anything to board a boat.

Why smoke a mind altering drug to treat blood pressure when there are a ton of legal drugs that do the job very well and also a lot of non hallucinogenic natural treatments as well?? Think your prospective crewman just wants to smoke dope and get high. To me, that will be a BIG issue when my boat will be at risk if he indulges especially while on watch. Do you have enough storage for all the brownies that he'll want to consume.
roverhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2015, 11:26   #5
cruiser

You don't need to risk loosing your boat over some pothead ********. Weed for blood pressure control.... is ********.

Federal law does not recognize his dumbass prescription, and the last time I checked.... The coast guard and Homeland Security are federal government. So if you're boarded.... You will loose your boat, period.

Taking on a pothead as crew is probably one of the stupidest ideas I've heard in a long time.
Kenomac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2015, 11:27   #6

Boat: ‘01 Catana 401

Federal laws will confiscate your boat.....state laws might.

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Sailmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2015, 11:40   #7

Boat: Chris-Craft Carribean 35'

Any mind altering drug such as coffee and chocolate have no place on the water.
Capt. Fisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2015, 11:50   #8

Boat: Seafarer36c

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenomac View Post
You don't need to risk loosing your boat over some pothead ********. Weed for blood pressure control.... is ********.

Federal law does not recognize his dumbass prescription, and the last time I checked.... The coast guard and Homeland Security are federal government. So if you're boarded.... You will loose your boat, period.

Taking on a pothead as crew is probably one of the stupidest ideas I've heard in a long time.
You must be a doctor, a lawyer and a blow hard. Wow!
model 10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2015, 11:50   #9
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 63 custom alloy sloop,macwester26,prout snowgoose 37 elite catamaran!

tell him to make tea with it and administer by enama..............
atoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2015, 12:05   #10
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guy View Post
You must be a doctor, a lawyer and a blow hard. Wow!
No... But I'm a registered nurse who knows the law and who's heard all the excuses.
Old 01-06-2015, 12:11   #11
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41

remember the saga of bergy(bill bergavoy) how he was arrested in teejass with a medical marijuana card and product .... take that as a warning an da lesson.
federal govt has NOT lifted th eschedule 2 ban onm arijuana. it is still a bad no no for use...even tho it isnt ...is such a problem for others who transport the people who have the card as uscg doesnt recognize it, nor does fed govt. otherwise known as say good bye to your federally documented boat.
advice-- get other crew. or wait until marijuana has been approved in federal courts.
it has not yet been so.
good luck.

btw--exactly as kenomac sed, only different wordings.
btw--- marijuana does NOT ease blood pressure--in fact, the immediate reaction your body has is ELEVATION of blood pressure.
be smart.

sail dry and without contraband.
yes i am a multispecialty critical care rn. last known area of work--emergency triage and forensics.
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2015, 12:19   #12
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

Peter-
"Why smoke a mind altering drug to treat blood pressure when there are a ton of legal drugs that do the job very well and also a lot of non hallucinogenic natural treatments as well??"
You destroy your own argument. First, because pot is NOT a hallucinogen. Unlike an acid trip or psilocybin, it will not give you hallucinations, although "street" pot may have hallucinogens mixed in. That you don't know the difference, says that you don't know the drug, or the real effects and issues involved.
Second, there are MANY strains of pot today. It has had more selective breeding done on it than possible any other crop. Some of those strains will blow you away in two tokes. Others, like the "Charlotte's Web" that is so prominent in the news as a medicine for children, will give you less of a buzz than a double espresso.

Reefer madness always was a lie. Coupla regular jugs of vodka for two weeks can give you some nasty dt's, and that's hallucinating. Coupla stone ponies stay toasted for two weeks...and they won't be seeing any spiders when they come down.

Every presidential commission, congressional study, anything that has looked objectively at legalizing pot over the last 40-50 years, has said the same thing. Legalize it, tax it, the criminal problems go away, the adulterants go away, the myths go away, and you've basically got more liquor sales, with less drunk driving.

Now, if you want hallucinogens, just take a walk in the southwest and pick some 'shrooms.

zeehag-
Those untrained, inexperienced, and generally non-credible quacks at the Mayo Clinic strongly disagree with your field research on pot. They say:
"Marijuana may cause low blood pressure. Caution is advised in people who have blood pressure disorders or those taking drugs or herbs and supplements that lower blood pressure"
http://www.mayoclinic.org/drugs-supp...y/HRB-20059701

I would suggest that their information is based on research wil UNadulterated pot, while your experience in the ER is with pot, and pot users, that may have any number of other issues distorting the picture. Causality and simultaneity and two very different animals. You experience with pot users is, probably, only from the latter.
hellosailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2015, 12:30   #13

Boat: Olson 40

Maybe if we elect a President who has experience with pot, it will no longer be illegal. Oh, we tried that a few times. Well, I guess I am an optimist.

Pot is a very, very effective blood pressure medicine. Its like Zanex without the addiction risk.
u4ea32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2015, 12:42   #14
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellosailor View Post
zeehag-
Those untrained, inexperienced, and generally non-credible quacks at the Mayo Clinic strongly disagree with your field research on pot. They say:
"Marijuana may cause low blood pressure. Caution is advised in people who have blood pressure disorders or those taking drugs or herbs and supplements that lower blood pressure"
Marijuana (Cannabis sativa) Safety - Mayo Clinic

I would suggest that their information is based on research wil UNadulterated pot, while your experience in the ER is with pot, and pot users, that may have any number of other issues distorting the picture. Causality and simultaneity and two very different animals. You experience with pot users is, probably, only from the latter.
The question presented was whether or not pot and a pothead belong on a boat. Neither one belongs.

But if anyone thinks it does.... Then go for it Dude and Dudette! But I doubt you'll get past the first port where it's not legal and then be crying about loosing your boat and how to come up with legal fees to get out of jail.
Old 01-06-2015, 12:50   #15
CLOD

Boat: none

Quote:
Originally Posted by S/V_Surya View Post
I am thinking of taking on a crew member when I head south in October on the ICW. The crew from California has a prescription for medical Marijuana for blood pressure control. Is this a bad idea, as the chance of getting boarded by Coasties or other law enforcement is pretty good.
Thanks
Bet you knew the safe answer when you posted the question.

Tags
cal, medical