Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 30-11-2016, 21:42   #91

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop
Re: Medical Marijuana

@denverd0n,

It is not that it cannot be prescribed by a doc for a patient, it is that the skipper of the boat with a crew who is using it, if he goes to somewhere marijuana use isn't legal, the skipper faces a whole lot of potential trouble, up to and including loss of the boat and jail time. That is why it is an issue here. If the destination country prohibits it, it is proscribed, period.

Ann
Old 30-11-2016, 22:09   #92

Quote:
Originally Posted by denverd0n View Post
The thing that really amazes me is that in those states where medical use of marijuana is still illegal, a doctor can prescribe LSD, morphine, heroin, and cocaine if he wants to. Hoops to jump through, and paperwork to fill out, of course, but those are all drugs that are recognized, by the FDA, as having legitimate medical uses. So they can be prescribed.

But marijuana CANNOT!?! That's just crazy.
In most East Asian/southeast Asian countries you risk serious penalties including possibility of death for having those narcotics. Script doesn't override import border controls.
SV DestinyAscen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-11-2016, 22:52   #93

Boat: crowther trimaran 33

In my experience the authorities tend to confiscate it without paperwork.
seandepagnier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2016, 08:15   #94

Boat: 1980 Morgan 415

Quote:
Originally Posted by SV DestinyAscen View Post
In most East Asian/southeast Asian countries you risk serious penalties including possibility of death for having those narcotics. Script doesn't override import border controls.

I was proscribed OxyContin in S Korea for broken ribs. Flushed them after the second dose. Serious hallucinations.

Having a clear headed crew on a passage is a no brainer. Legal or not.
Old 01-12-2016, 09:05   #95

Boat: Cal 44
Send a message via ICQ to barboak

Love this type of thread as the replies usually follow along closely with members political philosophies either conservative or more open-minded! That being said I would accept a crew member on med pot depending on where I was cruising, probably not in SE Asia and the Middle East or anyplace the authorities had a crazy draconian system of laws. In 15 years spent cruising on both the western and eastern Caribbean and parts of South America we have never been boarded with dogs sniffing about though I don't think it is impossible for it to happen. I have talked to some coastles in PUerto Rico and they say that it is not a focus of their patrol boats (such as in the Anegada passage to SXM) to be looking for small personal use pot! Though I am sure it always pays to be discreet
barboak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2016, 09:12   #96

Boat: SAnta Cruz 27

The marijuana I'm using daily is CBD oil, which is packaged as a 'food supplement'. It doesn't get me high at all, but it really helps my arthritis and has no side effects for me.

OTOH, when we cruised we had heavy narcotics on board because my wife is a nurse. The only place I tried to declare them was Australia, where the customs guy said, "let's not go there".
donradcliffe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2016, 10:38   #97

Boat: 1985 Canadian Sailcraft CS30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cap Erict3 View Post
I was proscribed OxyContin in S Korea for broken ribs. Flushed them after the second dose. Serious hallucinations.

Having a clear headed crew on a passage is a no brainer. Legal or not.
FLUSHED THEM ??????

Hallucinating fish

Perhaps next time you can bring them back to the pharmacy for proper disposal.
mottseng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2016, 13:15   #98

Boat: Big brick box and a '62 Airstream Ambassador. Formerly Pacific Seacraft

Steer clear Duterte in the Philippines! But if you're cruising the Philippines I doubt you need my guidance....
cheoah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2017, 20:03   #99

Boat: Hunter 25, Santana 20, Hallberg RASSY 33 " Mistral" San Juan 21 MKI

I would not allow crew to possess, cannibis on my boat. I might possess it, but it's my boat to loose. I'm a retired cop, I've taken literally 500/700 drunk drivers over 25 years, and you all think cannibis is a problem. Wow.

I also have a medical card for cannibis for pain. I've "found nothing that blocks my pain like cannibis. I don't use it, CBD or THC, it all makes me high, and I'm not interested in going thru life stoned.

I grow my legal limit every season and I provide it to older people who can no longer afford script meds. Most make tinctures out of the cannibis, some smoke and some eat it. I give it away, I don't market it.

I've got three patients with Parkinson's, they use to take a boat load of pills a day. They shake like crazy. I've personally witnessed all three at least 50 times after they've injested cannibis. No shaking, no speech issues, their steadier then I am. A miracle, in my mind.

I was amused by the post above noting generational, and political lines, I think he/ she's onto something.

Bottom line Cannibis is here to stay, the Feds, are only looking out for big Pharma best interests. When big Pharma, i.e. Special interests have growing dialed, you will see a shift in federal policy.

For what it's worth, here in Oregon each county was allowed to vote for recreational cannibis, medical is by law. I did not support recreational marijuana.

To much research points to medical quality, surprisingly, even my VA doctors are in agreement, in fact congress pass legislation in the past six months allowing the VA prescribe if cannibis, is legal within the specific state.

Oregon is medical mostly and rec in many counties, I'm not aware of the va actually providing recommendations for patients.

Dirk
Dirk Williams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2017, 06:11   #100

Boat: 2018 Senesco 110'

I thought this thread was going to die so I didn't respond earlier. I'm staying out of the medical side and speaking only to the legal side. The USCG recently (August) asked the Merchant Mariner Medical Advisory Committee (Medmac) on the usage of medical marijuana, this is the just of their answer.

Quote:
Mindful of the buzz about medical marijuana and the efforts to change its drug classification, the Coast Guard sought guidance on how to evaluate mariners who use it.

The Coast Guard asked the Merchant Mariner Medical Advisory Committee (MEDMAC) for help on everything from a working definition of medical marijuana to safety concerns posed by merchant mariner users.

MEDMAC’s advice: No matter what anyone else does, the Coast Guard should keep in place its ban on medical use of hallucinogens. Such use, “even if legalized by a state, is not waiverable under any circumstances,” stated Navigation and Vessel Inspection Circular (NVIC) 04-08, which lays out medical and physical evaluation guidelines.

Mariners who now test positive for marijuana are subject to a penalty and applicants who use medical marijuana will be denied credentials.

“Performing shipboard duties under the influence of marijuana, medical marijuana or medications containing marijuana poses a significant safety risk,” the committee said in documents from its recent meeting in St. Louis. “There is insufficient research on the safe use of marijuana in maritime work environments,” MEDMAC said.

Its use would also raise concerns internationally since it’s illegal in some countries.

The Drug Enforcement Administration (DEA) in August denied a petition to change marijuana’s classification from Schedule I to Schedule II. Use of Schedule II drugs, which have accepted medical applications, is legal with a prescription. DEA said marijuana “has a high potential for abuse” and has no currently accepted medical use in treatment.

“The Coast Guard will give MEDMAC’s recommendations full consideration in determining how best to proceed on the issue,” Dr. Adrienne Buggs, physician advisor/medical certification, said via e-mail. The committee’s advice that the Coast Guard not pursue a rulemaking on marijuana and stick with the NVIC “is certainly a viable option at present, since marijuana is a prohibited Schedule I substance.”

Asked how prevalent marijuana use is, she said, “The Coast Guard does not track positive drug tests, specific to marijuana. However, it is important to note that individuals who test positive for illegal use of any controlled substance are handled through enforcement action, and not through the medical certification review process.”

Likewise, the Coast Guard doesn’t track the number of applicants who have applied for a merchant mariner credential with a request to use medical marijuana, Dr. Buggs said. Medical officers surveyed “have no recollection of receiving any such application requests for use of medical marijuana.”

If the classification were changed, the committee agenda noted, “Mariners with a valid prescription for medical marijuana, who are found to have marijuana in their system during drug testing, would not have their results reported to the Coast Guard as a positive drug test. Additionally, applicants for merchant mariner medical certification who use medical marijuana would be evaluated in the same manner as applicants on any other medication.”

Source: https://www.workboat.com/news/govern...cal-marijuana/

This reflects the USCGs current policy towards marijuana use by commercial sailors. I'm not sure how interested they are in recreational sailors unless there's an incident.
Old 02-01-2017, 08:16   #101

Boat: Hunter 25, Santana 20, Hallberg RASSY 33 " Mistral" San Juan 21 MKI

think the coast guard got it right.

In fact they didn't go far enough. If crew or officers are allowed to run machinery or vessels under the influence of ANY narcotics, or psychosomatic, problems will follow.

Happy New Uears.

Dirk
Dirk Williams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2017, 08:23   #102

Boat: Camano Troll

Quote:
Originally Posted by S/V_Surya View Post
I am thinking of taking on a crew member when I head south in October on the ICW. The crew from California has a prescription for medical Marijuana for blood pressure control. Is this a bad idea, as the chance of getting boarded by Coasties or other law enforcement is pretty good.
Thanks
I would say it is a really bad idea because even though this marijuana may be legal in California, it is not legal in most other states and is not legal by federal law.

The risk is pretty great, they could seize your boat as well as fine you or lock you up.

That's only my opinion of course, but if you don't believe it, I suggest consulting an attorney before leaving CA with drugs on board.
Old 02-01-2017, 08:26   #103
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

USCG tests for drugs? How? Military did urinalysis and that took weeks to get an answer, how does the USCG do it?
Do they test just for accidents and major violations?

I always assumed the only concern was the boat being searched.
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2017, 08:34   #104
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Medical Marijuana

Quote:
Originally Posted by a64pilot View Post
USCG tests for drugs? How? Military did urinalysis and that took weeks to get an answer, how does the USCG do it?
Do they test just for accidents and major violations?

Big Pharma's pouring $$$$$$$'s into research to combat/neutralise the competition..
Scientists develop CANNABIS breathalyser and could be tested in spring 2015 | Daily Mail Online

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' still dance to the beat of the drums.
boatman61 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2017, 08:54   #105

Boat: Camano Troll

Quote:
Originally Posted by a64pilot View Post

That would be a pretty big concern for me.

Tags
cal, medical