Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-06-2015, 18:57   #31

Boat: Chris-Craft Carribean 35'
Re: Medical Marijuana

Modern doctors are not schooled in natural health remedies. Good thing aspirin from the bark of trees is not banned since it's been used for many hundreds of years.
Capt. Fisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2015, 19:01   #32

Boat: Bruce Roberts 44' Steel Mauritius

Absolutely not. Federal offense & lose your boat and it's legal in our state.
Mithril Bham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2015, 19:02   #33
Marine Service Provider

Boat: 1984 Catalina 22, 2005 Carolina Skiff 24, 1989 BW Outrage 19, BW SS 15

About four years ago a GF invited me to visit her uncle's lake house to go water skiing for a few days. It turned out he was a marijuana prescriber which meant he could have 12 plants for each of his six "patients." He was a good skier at age 70 and it seemed he was very popular, as he made numerous stops at docks around the lake to visit briefly.

He went to seminars on how to grow the highest THC plants and IMO was just a hard to catch high volume drug dealer. He was allowed to have six pounds in his possession at any given time. None of his patients were actually sick, they were just potheads.

The highlight of the weekend was making hashish from plant trimmings that couldn't be otherwise sold with a sophisticated filtering system. Not legal even for him but he wasn't afraid of the police because they knew he could legally possess a huge stash.

Medical marijuana, what a crock. Apologies to the rare nauseated cancer patient that might benefit a little.
Azul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2015, 19:10   #34
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Jay Kantola - Trimaran 65 ft by 40 ft beam

And six months from now when a sniffer dog barks, is the stuffing of your cushions torn out and checked?
pbmaise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2015, 20:08   #35

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: None at this time

Quote:
Medical marajuana users are mostly using the 'Medical' part to legalize getting high.
Not so. The most research done on Marijuana has been done in Israel because the US declared it a Type 1 drug. They have found it to be a very useful medical drug. I had a friend with Crone's disease long before there was such a thing as Medical Marijuana and MJ was the only thing he could use to decrease his pain. He was also quite brilliant, a good co-worker and a great friend.

Here is what WebMD says about it.

Quote:
Dustin Sulak, DO, is a doctor on the front lines of medical marijuana.

Sulak has recommended various forms of marijuana to his patients and has seen striking results. Patients with chronic pain needed fewer prescription pain meds. Patients with multiple sclerosis had less painful muscle spasms. Patients with severe inflammatory bowel disease began to eat again.

“These responses are the most impressive to me,” says Sulak, who practices at Maine Integrative Healthcare in Manchester. Maine is one of 20 states, along with the District of Columbia, where medical marijuana is legal. “With inflammatory bowel disease, we’ll see patients who were at death’s door turn around dramatically.”

Sulak’s experience is powerful and adds to the large body of personal stories -- dating from 5,000 years ago -- about the therapeutic value of marijuana.
Drug laws being what they are in the US the OP should not take his friend on board. Although I think the zero tolerance law that saw many boats and vehicles impounded during the Reagan era has been repealed, if memory serves.

Here is a link to more information on the research done in Israel.
http://www.jns.org/latest-articles/2...#.VW0fEEZQQlA=
DeepFrz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2015, 08:20   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeepFrz View Post
...I think the zero tolerance law that saw many boats and vehicles impounded during the Reagan era has been repealed, if memory serves.
"Zero tolerance" is not, and never was, a law. It was just an enforcement policy. Still is in some jurisdictions, though the feds are not quite as adamant about it as they once were.

Nonetheless, to the OP, as others have made quite clear, you do NOT want to allow any marijuana on your boat. Despite the legalities of it in some jurisdictions, it is still illegal as far as all federal laws--and therefore all federal law-enforcement agencies--are concerned.
denverd0n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2015, 10:32   #37

Boat: Tayana 58 DS

While the safe thing to do is not to have any cannabis on board, Congress has passed the Hinchey-Rohrbacher aka Rohrabacher-Farr amendment (included in the omnibus bill passed in December in Sec 538 ) which prohibits the use of federal funds to prosecute medical cannabis patients or providers who are operating legally under state laws.

There has been some concern that the federal government is not following its own laws in this respect, but that is clearly the intent.

If you're in one of the states which still hasn't decriminalized medical cannabis, you could still have problems.
accomplice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2015, 11:56   #38

Two things here

1 -- on a boat

2 -- advantages & disadvantages of the material

1 not so good because of the laws and potential for issues with enforcement folk

2 time to get over the reefer madness stupidity
Catalina 34 #224 (1986) C34IA Secretary
Cowichan Bay, BC, SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)
Stu Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2015, 12:02   #39

Boat: Bruce Roberts 44' Steel Mauritius

So many misconceptions about how strong pot is compared with the past and how it effects you mainly by people with no experience. I lived through the 60's as well and there was stuff available that was just as strong mainly out of Thailand. I don't smoke it because I prefer to be lucid (at my age have enough trouble keeping my energy level up) but I would take someone smoking pot over someone drinking any day. I can't tell you how many athletes I knew who smoked all the time and performed well in college sports (while they were playing on nationally rated teams). I know high powered lawyers who still smoke all the time and don't lack motivation. I am by no means recommending it but, at least, lets get the facts straight. It effects people differently.
Don't take any pot on a boat. There are too many unknown variables to take a chance. Neither the Feds nor the State know what is going on in this area. Everyone is confused.
Bellingham Herald recently published an article stating that smoking pot had absolutely no effect on driving skills.
Seriously have no idea if that is correct but definitely better than a drunk.
Mithril Bham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2015, 12:28   #40

Boat: Seafarer36c

So much hyperbole about what might happen here in the US but maybe not so much if you travel to other countries. The idea of getting thrown into a third world jail scares the crap out of me.
model 10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2015, 12:32   #41
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Send a message via Skype™ to weavis

So:

All personal viewpoints aside, Its a dangerous thing to have substances on board for lots of legal reasons.

Dont do it.

weavis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2015, 12:34   #42
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by magellanyachts View Post
...but I would take someone smoking pot over someone drinking any day......
Bellingham Herald recently published an article stating that smoking pot had absolutely no effect on driving skills.
Seriously have no idea if that is correct but definitely better than a drunk.
That's like saying you'd rather be around someone glassy-eyed and stupid... Instead of someone who pisses and craps their pants.
Kenomac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2015, 12:35   #43

Boat: Vancouver 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeepFrz View Post
Not so. The most research done on Marijuana has been done in Israel because the US declared it a Type 1 drug. They have found it to be a very useful medical drug. I had a friend with Crone's disease long before there was such a thing as Medical Marijuana and MJ was the only thing he could use to decrease his pain. He was also quite brilliant, a good co-worker and a great friend.

Here is what WebMD says about it.

Drug laws being what they are in the US the OP should not take his friend on board. Although I think the zero tolerance law that saw many boats and vehicles impounded during the Reagan era has been repealed, if memory serves.

Here is a link to more information on the research done in Israel.
In Israel, medical marijuana research far from stuck in the weeds — JNS.org
+1

I've got a dog with epilepsy and CBD hemp pills have greatly limited the severity and frequency of his seizures.

Also many documented cases where certain strands of low THC mj were lifesavers to the families of young children with severe forms of epilepsy.

The OP might have his crew look into hemp pills as a questionably legal alternative to actually holding.
laika is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2015, 12:38   #44
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 422

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guy View Post
The idea of getting thrown into a third world jail scares the crap out of me.
Knew a guy years ago that got caught in Nassau with a few joints and spent a week in the jail on Fox Hill. He said it was a very unpleasant experience.

A few years later the same guy was caught in Jamaica and spent a couple of weeks in a jail in some small town on the north coast that was much worse.

Seems he was a slow learner.

Bottom line, county jail in the states would be a luxury hotel compared to the third world. You don't want to try it.
skipmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2015, 12:24   #45

Boat: gulfstar ketch 41 Surya

Wow, thanks for all the replies. I have contacted the person who is a 63 year old grandmother and advised her to find another medication for this trip.

When I visited California a few weeks ago and she told me I was kinda shocked. Now lets get one thing clear. I smoked (I did not inhale) a lot of pot in the late sixties and seventies and even have a photo of me at the Canadian border with my ticket for for bringing it into US. I looked like rumple-stilskin with my beard. Who would think of checking a guy in a yellow volkswagon for dope. Although, I did not inhale. Anyway, I stopped smoking along time ago.
S/V_Surya is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cal, medical