Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-02-2015, 08:03   #1
cruiser

Medical Equipment AED Onboard

Since I'm once again working in the Medical biz as an RN, it occurred to me that while out cruising the Med, we're usually too far from the reach of emergency medical personnel if and when the need arises, therefore... we need to be self sufficient. So I recently purchased a Cardiac Science AED Powerheart G3 just in case. The two of us and our guests aren't getting any younger, and with scuba equipment onboard along with power tools and the other many ways to hurt ourselves, it seemed like a good investment and addition to our medical equipment.

If someone's heart stops, in most cases CPR alone only works on TV or in the movies... it usually requires an electrical jump start in real life to revive someone.
Kenomac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2015, 08:26   #2

Boat: Tayana Vancouver 42
Re: Medical Equipment AED Onboard

I have a friend who is an ER nurse and is also buying one for her boat before going cruising. She says she would feel horrible knowing how to use one and not having one if needed. She says anyone can use one and thinks all cruisers should have one.

I wonder what actually happens though if you are more than a day from emergency room services. What is the prognosis in a cruising situation?

S/V B'Shert
Tayana42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2015, 08:32   #3
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tayana42 View Post
I wonder what actually happens though if you are more than a day from emergency room services. What is the prognosis in a cruising situation?
A better chance of saving a life than if you don't have an AED; and definitely a better prognosis than certain death.

See this post for more information

http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...ml#post1755479
Old 11-02-2015, 08:36   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenomac View Post
Since I'm once again working in the Medical biz as an RN, it occurred to me that while out cruising the Med, we're usually too far from the reach of emergency medical personnel if and when the need arises, therefore... we need to be self sufficient. So I recently purchased a Cardiac Science AED Powerheart G3 just in case. The two of us and our guests aren't getting any younger, and with scuba equipment onboard along with power tools and the other many ways to hurt ourselves, it seemed like a good investment and addition to our medical equipment.

If someone's heart stops, in most cases CPR alone only works on TV or in the movies... it usually requires an electrical jump start in real life to revive someone.
I think that's a great idea!

Was that one significantly better or cheaper than others, or are they pretty much all very similar?
socaldmax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2015, 08:47   #5
cruiser

Believe it or not... I purchased ours brand new on ebay for around $250. So I'd say the price range is between $250-$1600 depending on the age of the unit and how much instruction and automation is wanted. The more expensive units will even give CPR instructions during the actual emergency along with administering the shocks.
Old 11-02-2015, 08:51   #6

Quote:
Believe it or not... I purchased ours brand new on ebay for around $250. So I'd say the price range is between $250-$1600 depending on the age of the unit and how much instruction and automation is wanted. The more expensive units will even give CPR instructions during the actual emergency along with administering the shocks.
That's an amazing price! I thought they all started at over $1,000! That's very affordable!
socaldmax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2015, 09:02   #7

Boat: Bristol 41.1

As an emergency first responder I have trained in their use. Dumfounded to hear they are only $250!

Thanks for the post.
redsky49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2015, 09:10   #8
cruiser

I was very patient and waited for the Cardiac Science Powerheart G3 model at the right price. Was first considering a used model which would require battery replacement for $185 bringing the total price to around $485. But the patience paid off, and I found the new one for $250.
Old 11-02-2015, 09:32   #9

I'm much younger and healthier than you Ken but even though I'm in such superb condition I still carry an AED onboard but that price, yikes thats a good deal. Carla tells me ours gives her voice instructions and is sort of automatic although our cost a couple of years ago was a little over a grand.
robert sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2015, 10:26   #10

Boat: Outbound 44

Have you looked at the odds of an AED applied in a remote situation without easy access to an ER and follow on drugs in the next hour or so? It is exceeding unlikely after the patient gets to the delayed hospital that they will walk out with their mental capacities.
Old 11-02-2015, 10:38   #11
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul L View Post
Have you looked at the odds of an AED applied in a remote situation without easy access to an ER and follow on drugs in the next hour or so? It is exceeding unlikely after the patient gets to the delayed hospital that they will walk out with their mental capacities.
So.... you're suggesting that it's useless to even try to save someone's life? Cardiac stoppage can also be caused by accidents, electrical shock and drowning; these sorts of mishaps don't require immediate ER follow up if you can get the heart started again.

I believe what you're referring to is someone experiencing a heart attack which includes death to a portion of the cardiac muscle... where the person requires more than what just an AED can provide, and even in the best of situations, there's a very low probability of survival.

In my view, some chance is better than no chance of survival.
Old 11-02-2015, 10:40   #12

Boat: Tayana Vancouver 42

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul L View Post

That is what I was asking about.

S/V B'Shert
Tayana42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2015, 10:50   #13
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tayana42 View Post
That is what I was asking about.

S/V B'Shert
Following a true heart attack where a large enough portion of the cardiac muscle is damaged or has died, very few if any people can survive this situation... only in the movies. But cardiac stoppage due to an accident, arrhythmia, electrical shock, drowning etc., really in most cases just requires CPR, artificial respiration and a jump start... as long as the heart has not been damaged.
Old 11-02-2015, 10:58   #14
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 422

Quote:
So.... you're suggesting that it's useless to even try to save someone's life? Cardiac stoppage can also be caused by accidents, electrical shock and drowning; these sorts of mishaps don't require immediate ER follow up if you can get the heart started again.

I believe what you're referring to is someone experiencing a heart attack which includes death to a portion of the cardiac muscle... where the person requires more than what just an AED can provide, and even in the best of situations, there's a very low probability of survival.

In my view, some chance is better than no chance of survival.
Last time this question came up I asked my daughter who is an EM doctor her opinion. In the case of serious MI resulting in heart stoppage, if you aren't within very close reach of an ER then even if you can restart the heart with an AED the odds of dying anyway are pretty much 100%.

Read the same opinion in an article by an expert in wilderness medicine. Their recommendation was to spend your time and resources in other areas of medical assistance.

In the case of heart stoppage due to electric shock, drowning or other trauma that may be entirely different. I didn't ask that question but will.
skipmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2015, 11:12   #15

Boat: Jeanneau SO 43 DS

What are the power requirements Ken? How often does it need to be charged, etc?

I'd been thinking about investing in the same thing but had no idea of the costs.
Prairie Chicken is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cal, equipment, medical, men