Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Seamanship, Navigation & Boat Handling > Health, Safety & Related Gear
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-04-2012, 15:07   #1

Boat: CSY 44 W/O
Material used to ventilate under mattress/cushions?

Hello all,

I have a nice custom mattress in the aft stateroom of an older, uninsulated frp boat that seems to be turning into a sponge for all the condensate in the cabin. I've been leaving a heater on low to minimize moisture, but maybe I am creating more condensation? Had been a couple of weeks since getting on boat and this last time everything on underside was soaked. We have had some foggy and moist weather, one night of rain, but no sign of leak and can't remember it ever being this bad in several years.
I have carpet non-skid thin foam mat under v-berth and cushions which have naugahyde on their underside which seem to stay dry with just a round dehumidifier on in main cabin.
Does anybody know of a thicker loosely woven material, (almost like 3m brown scotch brite but thicker with looser weave or furnace filter material) that would be good to put under mattress for airflow?

Any suggestions would be appreciated!

Steve
yourtruenorth1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2012, 15:18   #2

Re: Material used to ventilate under mattress/cushions?

I have used Dri Deck tiles. They cut easy and allow about a 1/2" gap. I'm surprised you're getting that much wetness if you aren't sleeping on it though..... I think it's usually the body heat that causes so much condensation.....

Cheechako is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2012, 15:33   #3

Boat: 43 ft Selene/Solo

Google "Hypervent".....it is a material that is specifically made for undr mattress ventilation........not cheep, but it does work. Been using it for over 10 years on my boat.
Ralph Waldo Emerson
captain465 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2012, 17:13   #4

Boat: Seaward 22

hmmm. looked at hypervent. wondering if you could use the material designed for home airfilters?

BettyMills: Permalast® Air Filter Media Rolls - Purolator 1050141
ohdrinkboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2012, 23:14   #5

Boat: sold our IP, now motoring along on the dark side in a Heritage East Sundeck 36

We installed hypervent last year and it really made a difference. I don't think that airfilter media is nearly strong enough (compression-wise).
Old 05-04-2012, 07:11   #6

Boat: Dragonfly 1000 trimaran

+1 on Hypervent.
I didn't think it would make that much difference in a V berth, but it worked like a charm.

Ayn Rand
senormechanico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012, 07:42   #7

Boat: Hans Christian 33

Look at Froli mattress systems.
ReMetau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012, 08:07   #8

Boat: It’s in French Polynesia now

One thing one needs to know about boats is the air needs to be moving around whether it be cold or hot. This creates a vacuum inside the boat and keeps moisture from being absorbed or settling. It keeps out the mold, as well.

But no matter what you do in the tropics (80%+ humidity), it's hard to keep out unless it's sealed off before hand. I've seen walls sweat in P.I. Wool is my best friend at night.

If one could, slats or screen with a blower under the mattress would be ideal.
Old 05-04-2012, 09:23   #9

Good idea! Dri Dek under the matress and put a large computer fan in the panels under the mattress....ducted out to the cabin. The worst we had was the PNW in the winter. The underside of the mattress would be soaking wet in the am.... not just damp but dripping wet. The Dri Dek helped a lot but wasnt a complete cure...

Old 05-04-2012, 09:53   #10

Boat: Marine Trader 34DC

Steve, I would suggest that you begin by venting the area under the berth to get good air movement. The Trawler Beach House: Adding Some Ventilation Inside The Boat . We used a 1 inch hole saw and drilled additional ventilation holes in the plywood under the mattress. Then add fans to keep the air moving in the cabin as much as possible. In very damp areas we have added computer muffin fans inside some compartments that pretty much run all the time. We have also used a hole saw to drill holes in bulkheads between compartments to further circulation. In our last boat and in our trawler, we have no moisture issues inside the boat. Chuck

The Trawler Beach House
Voyages Of Sea Trek
AnchorageGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012, 10:00   #11

My wife makes our cushions and uses a breathable fabric on the undersides. Additionally we drill holes in the boards that they sit on so it's pretty much swiss cheese between the cushion and the lockers underneath.
rebel heart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012, 10:12   #12

Boat: Lagoon 410 ELECTRIC!

I also use the Froli mattress system and have had great luck with it. Modular and can be fitted to any form is about 1 1/2" tall for plenty of ventalation. If you need more you could add holes in the frame. Big question is where all the moisture is coming from.

Steve in Solomons MD
Lagoon 410 SE
Hyprdrv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012, 10:18   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hyprdrv View Post
I also use the Froli mattress system and have had great luck with it. Modular and can be fitted to any form is about 1 1/2" tall for plenty of ventalation. If you need more you could add holes in the frame. Big question is where all the moisture is coming from.

Steve in Solomons MD
Lagoon 410 SE
On a boat, salty clothes always finding a way onboard, food cooking in the galley, and people sleeping onboard, where is the moisture not coming from.
rebel heart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012, 11:14   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waterwayguy View Post
Steve, I would suggest that you begin by venting the area under the berth to get good air movement. The Trawler Beach House: Adding Some Ventilation Inside The Boat . We used a 1 inch hole saw and drilled additional ventilation holes in the plywood under the mattress. Then add fans to keep the air moving in the cabin as much as possible. In very damp areas we have added computer muffin fans inside some compartments that pretty much run all the time. We have also used a hole saw to drill holes in bulkheads between compartments to further circulation. In our last boat and in our trawler, we have no moisture issues inside the boat. Chuck
Yes, I hole sawed many holes under the V mattress too. In the PNW, the wood was still wet in the am.... so added the Dri Dek in addition... wish I'd have thought of the fans back then....

Old 05-04-2012, 11:16   #15

Boat: Morgan Out Island 415

+1 on the Dri-Dek tiles. We use the boat year-round in Florida and haven't needed to add fans so far.

Tags
cushions