Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-09-2011, 18:32   #1
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: CyberYacht 43
Man Overboard Gear ?

I was looking at the MOB horseshoe lifebuoy on Boracay and realized that it was a bit tatty. In fact it wasn't a bit tatty, it was very tatty. The rope had frayed away to nothing in the sun and the PVC had gone all grotty.

I asked my local chandler, and the their stock had been redesigned. It wasn't really possible to attach a rope anymore, and it didn't look easy to make sure it was throwable and still attached to the boat firmly enough.

So I checked the regulations. Not required any more.

But I like the idea of having one. See someone in the water, throw them a lifebuoy sort of thing. Some people can't swim very well and rescue isn't something I'm really trained in so I'd planned to throw a lifebuoy while I worked out what else to do if push came to shove.

So does anyone have any good ideas on what to do about a lifebuoy? Has anyone ever used one in anger? Or should I forget about one and concentrate on lifejackets and harnesses?
Boracay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2011, 18:36   #2

Boat: Currently boatless
Re: Man overboard gear?

Get a Lifesling (TSF - Lifesling)
Old 07-09-2011, 18:36   #3

Re: Man overboard gear?

We have a lifesling. If you keep the lines in the bag when not underway you don't really have any sunlight damage except for the case which isn't too expensive and lasts for several years. On top of the lifesling, in the bag, we have a water activated strobe, some chem lights, and a dye thingy. The idea is you pop it open and toss all that crap in the water (including the life ring).

There are more elaborate setups.
rebel heart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2011, 13:25   #4

Boat: Gib'Sea 302, 30' - Hydra
Re: Man Overboard Gear ?

Boracay,
You might be interested in this:
http://www.seimi.com/UK/PAGE_SECU_SI...wp#BTN_ACCUEIL

I have no affiliation with this company. I met the inventor (French navy officer) once when he was awarded a prize for his invention.

Alain
Hydra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2011, 13:41   #5

Boat: a sailing boat
Re: Man Overboard Gear ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boracay View Post
So does anyone have any good ideas on what to do about a lifebuoy? Has anyone ever used one in anger? Or should I forget about one and concentrate on lifejackets and harnesses?
There is a throwable inflatable that I like a lot - sort of like an inflatable PFD that has its own UV stabilised orange case. You grab it, you throw it, it inflates and stays put as the covers serve as a sea-anchor.

I think the best policy is to concentrate on NOT going overboard - harness, leash, etc..

Next, I would seriously consider one of the newer AIS SART personal beacons - as long as the MOB is in VHF sight you will know exactly where they are and how to get there.

Last, I would look for something as the device described above. There is also a bigger device - where the MOB can climb in and get some sort of realistic support while being well lit and marked by an inflatable arch.

1. Do NOT go overboard,
2. Do NOT lose contact with the MOB,
3. Throw markers and support overboard.

Sure thing - HAVE something onboard to haul the MOB up onboard - and mock/try it out in iffy conditions at least once.

Also, exercise the MOB situation - it will help you build a routine and you will be aware of your own and your boat´s limitations in a MOB case.

b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
gear, overboard