Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 16-03-2014, 11:15   #1

Boat: Lagoon 420
Major theft

Recently, I experienced a major theft on my boat. I'm sure it was a boater. Among items stolen were: Spectra watermaker, Lithionics lithium ion batteries, Never Die controller, Midnite Classic solar controller, Raymarine tridata display and wind display, mic for Raymarine VHF, Eno 3 burner stove parts, electric and cordless tools, Vitrifrigo compressor for both fridge and freezer, Fujinon binoculars, salon table for Lagoon, Jabsco fresh water pump, Sharp tv/dvd, inflatable vests, Iridium 9555 phone, Kenwood stereo and a lot of other stuff.

Please announce this on your local net and anywhere else. If any of these items appear, please contact me by Private message. My phone is 473-458-6225. The boat was on the hook in Prickly Bay, Grenada.
Bradley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-03-2014, 12:04   #2
Long Range Cruiser

Location: Australian living on "Sea Life" currently in England.
Boat: Beneteau 393 "Sea Life"
Re: Major theft

Hell!

You must have been off for a while.

I hope you are insured for that loss.

Sounds like they cleared you right out

Somalia Pirates and our Convoy
MarkJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-03-2014, 13:04   #3
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

"Iridium 9555 phone"
I'd contact them to ask if you can have the phone's serial numbers flagged, so that whoever tries to use it or activate it is reported to law enforcement. I don't know if Iridium has any policies on that, but it should be possible.
hellosailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-03-2014, 13:07   #4

Boat: 1995 hunter 430

thats awfull and I hope your covered............they might as well taken the kitchen sink.....you would think someone would have seen alot of activity going on
Navicula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-03-2014, 13:12   #5

Boat: Gulfstar 43 ketch

Ouch! Sounds like you commute to your boat like us. We were robbed in our boatyard last winter but not as bad as yours. Hope you get at least some of your stuff back.
kbudd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-03-2014, 16:36   #6

Boat: Dragonfly 1000 trimaran

That really sucks. Keep an eye on eBay and such.

Ayn Rand
senormechanico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-03-2014, 17:44   #7

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

If you are insured, perhaps the insurance company will have some advice for you on finding your stuff.

I don't think a yachtie did it, perhaps more likely to sell to other people, hence the recommendation above to check Craig's list and e-bay. If you have a record of the serial numbers of especially the large ticket items, you will be able to prove they were yours.

I hope you are able to retrieve all of it. Good luck.

Ann
Old 16-03-2014, 18:02   #8

Boat: Chrysler 22

Sorry to hear of your loss... Serious bummer. Did you have any theft preventatives rigged up?
Sea_Green is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-03-2014, 22:47   #9

Boat: Pearson 365 Sloop and 9' Fatty Knees.

Bummer. I would think a non-boating thief wouldn't know what a Spectra R/O unit is. So I think you might be right with a boater doing it. Bad Karma.
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"
Celestialsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-03-2014, 05:15   #10

Boat: Frers, Pilothouse, 72ft

Damn...Prickley Bay eh?
I will be dropping the hook there in around a Month, security net states that you were away for 4 days...? But, regardless some fellow Cruisers parked nearby should have noticed something unusual going on...?
Prickly Bay isn't exactly an isolated anchorage......
Old 18-03-2014, 05:40   #11
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 48 Wauquiez Pilot Saloon

I'm with Celestial on this one....

Look for a boat run up on a reef and go get your stuff back...

Unacceptable .....

Mai Tai's fix everything...
HappyMdRSailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-03-2014, 10:24   #12

Boat: Pearson 34-II

Brad,
You have a beautiful "high profile" boat that was obviously unattended for a period of time. You were in a "yachty" area and several of the items would only be useable/marketable to other sailors. It was probably a theft by another yachtie who wanted the items for himself or by a local with an order placed by a yachtie with a fast sale in the making. Your chances of finding the items are slim and it's best to chalk it up to experience. It is my opinion, based upon personal experience,that the Caribbean , like most places, is home to some unsavory characters and you were unfortunately the victim of one of them. Beneath the surface of many tropical paradises lies the underbelly of drugs, robbery, theft, mayhem and worse. I'm sorry for your loss and hope it does not affect your cruising plans in the future.
Old 18-03-2014, 10:55   #13

Boat: Roughwater, pilot house, 58 ft

Might want to invest in a cellular security system. The one we plan on installing is the Boatnany that can call three phone number. Has high water, AC/DC electric, low temp, high temp, and motion. You can also install a sound and light alarm and I think you can check/view by internet. When we are gone we notify the marina and have our general boat service to check on the boat a couple of timers per week. When we do leave for a couple of days we leave lights and the TV on so it looks like we might be/come home. It also helps if you are not the biggest/fanciest/newest boat around.
rw58ph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-03-2014, 11:11   #14

Boat: 1987 Cabo Rico 38 #117 (sold) & 2008 Manta 42 #124

They are testing a technology called "Cop Dots" here in Florida. I have started putting them on my equipment.

CopDotsâ„¢ Anti-theft tools | Theft deterrent | Technology for Law enforcement
zboss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-03-2014, 12:22   #15

Boat: Morgan Out Island 415

We were cleaned out about 10 months ago. Took everything he thought he could sell (destroyed much of it in the process). We reported our serial numbers to the local PD as soon as we discovered the break in. Thief made the mistake of pawning our portable generator. Pawn shop checked PD database and he was arrested a few weeks later when he was pulled over for somthing else. He got 5 years prison plus five years probation for four felony charges. We're not the newest or fanciest boat in the harbor and we take all the usual precautions. Kudos to the marina staff and local PD for their support and assistance. We got the generator back, but lost everything else. I think the big plus is that word is likely out on the street that the boats in the harbor are not safe targets. Additional measures have been put in place to hopefully prevent a repeat.