Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 18-03-2014, 13:26   #16

Re: Major theft

This is very sad. I hope karma does work for you. I'm convinced it's very powerful for cruisers.

I also use a GSM alarm bought off ebay. In the US, I use a Tmobile SIM that costs about $50/yr ($0.10 a text) Bahamas the sim was even cheaper.

Never had a break in but the voltage monitor has saved my butt a few times when the battery charger had problems. One time someone had unplugged the shore power cord.

Mine has the option for a daily report besides the alarm conditions. I enjoy getting these "I'm OK" texts from my boat.
CarlF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-03-2014, 05:31   #17
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 48 Wauquiez Pilot Saloon

Quote:
Originally Posted by zboss View Post
They are testing a technology called "Cop Dots" here in Florida. I have started putting them on my equipment.

CopDotsâ„¢ Anti-theft tools | Theft deterrent | Technology for Law enforcement
That's some pretty cool technology for $26 right there! Any maintenance/ongoing fee??? Or just the one time pop???

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarlF View Post
This is very sad. I hope karma does work for you. I'm convinced it's very powerful for cruisers.

I also use a GSM alarm bought off ebay. In the US, I use a Tmobile SIM that costs about $50/yr ($0.10 a text) Bahamas the sim was even cheaper.

Never had a break in but the voltage monitor has saved my butt a few times when the battery charger had problems. One time someone had unplugged the shore power cord.

Mine has the option for a daily report besides the alarm conditions. I enjoy getting these "I'm OK" texts from my boat.
Carl... Would you mind posting a link to similar item as your GSM alarm you bought???

THANKS!

Mai Tai's fix everything...
HappyMdRSailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-03-2014, 07:47   #18
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 422

Hi Robyn,

Have never been to Prickly Bay so no idea how difficult it would be to remove so much equipment from a boat without attracting attention from the neighbors but certainly based on the things listed this was not a quick smash and grab.

To remove things like a stove or water maker would take a good bit of time to do without damage. If Prickly Bay is that populous and the boaters aware of their neighbors then transport of such large and obvious items would likely draw a good bit of attention.
skipmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-03-2014, 08:06   #19

Boat: 1981 Irwin 37

Where is there any mention of a stove being stolen. All I see is "Eno 3 burner stove parts" not a stove. Also a water maker could be broken down very quickly, not like installing it where you worry about fit and finish.
irwin37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-03-2014, 19:52   #20
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 422

Quote:
Originally Posted by irwin37 View Post
Where is there any mention of a stove being stolen. All I see is "Eno 3 burner stove parts" not a stove. Also a water maker could be broken down very quickly, not like installing it where you worry about fit and finish.
Disclaimer: I know none of the parties, nothing about the situation in Prickly Bay and am making no judgment about any parties. Just observations about the theft.

Assuming the watermaker was installed it would at the bare minimum take several minutes to remove screws and cut hoses for a quick and dirty grab. But then add batteries (assuming this is the house and/or starting battery bank), salon table, fridge compressor? This is not something that could be done in a few minutes and tossed in a backpack to sneak ashore.

If done by a smart, well organized group of thieves (like most petty crooks are smart and well organized)? in an area where there are many nearby boats that might be watching their neighbors then it might be accomplished. One theory, one or two of the thieves could board the boat quietly (swim out maybe), spend a couple of hours stripping the boat and laying stuff in the cockpit, signal their partners to meet them with a small boat, quickly load all the stuff and leave. However the stuff went away, it was not a typical boat theft; grab a few valuable, portable goodies and run away.
skipmac is offline   Reply With Quote