Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 18-07-2012, 10:03   #106

Boat: It’s in French Polynesia now
Re: Lower Back Muscle Spasms

Ya all got it made. Today, here, it's 60º over cast and windy. Sure'd be nice to have some of that "mediocre" weather.
Old 18-07-2012, 10:45   #107

Boat: 15 foot Canoe

Celestial,
Yes, to more ocean adventures. Mexico (Zeehag) has been throwing a few low pressure spots our way but no high winds or excessive moisture has made landfall yet. I'd say that this time of year is not the best for sailing on the Mexican coast (understatement).
kind regards,
Old 18-07-2012, 13:35   #108
Boating writer, book author

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Various

Hit me once and I find best way to calm spasms is a ibuprofen plus 20 minutes off, 20 on, a vibrating heating pad. Pads are available in 12-volt models so I try never to be without one. Beware muscle relaxer drugs. The muscle ithat got relaxed in my friend was the heart and her husband found her unconscious.
Old 18-07-2012, 13:51   #109

Boat: Heritage East 40

I am one that also suufers from DJD on lower back and it is often a mechanical spasm that knocks me to my knees or my back. Usually I have ignored the smaller spasms and I should have been to the Chiro long before it got acute.. I use Flexoril and Vitamin M.. I also am mindful of crossing my legs and sitting posture. A body in motion stays in motion.
The Blue Heron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-07-2012, 02:01   #110

My back "went out" once and I could not get off the floor for four days. In Boulder, Colorado, medical marijuanna was legal. Honestly, I don 't like to smoke pot. Someone had left a little pot at my place after a party, and I thought it might work as a muscle relaxer, so I smoked it. I was back at work the next day! After that I went to see a doctor about arranging a "pain management" regimen for the lower back pain I'd suffered with for 20 years. He recommended medical marijuanna and I was up for that, considering the fact that 92 MMJ dispensaries had opened in Boulder since medical marijuanna was legalized! I soon found that I preferred to use the edible forms over smoking it.
Two and a half years later, 90% of my back problems are GONE! I used a bit of Perkoset (less than half as effective as MMJ) and I think that Flexeril is a miracle drug in a bad situation, but the best results I've experienced are from medical marijuanna edibles. If you can get a prescription for flexeril, keep a bottle of those handy on the boat. In my experience, they can release a spasm in an hour or less. But they are a short-term solution to an immediate problem. You can't spend 4 days on the floor of a boat. MMJ is a long-term solution, but it's a violation of federal law, and a violation of most states' laws. But it's an option. Um, if you consume edible MMJ products, make sure you don't have any plans for about 6-10 hours. Not going to happen. But the full body deep muscle relaxation has been worth it for me. I can't recommend it legally, but, y'know... it's out there.
Old 31-07-2012, 04:20   #111
cruiser

Boat: Morgan 33 OutIsland, Magic and 33' offshore scott design "Cutting Edge"

Glucosamine with msm does wonders for chronic joint pain. Horse racers have been using it for a long time. Needs to be taken regularly and starts working in around 10 days.
forsailbyowner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-07-2012, 04:31   #112

Boat: 2017 Leopard 40

medical marijuana? No cure, no cares.

Treating symptoms is never better than curing the cause. Other than injury, previous posts have described ways to AVOID back problems by staying fit. Controlling weight is also important. We're fighting gravity. As we age we need to take an active role in deferring degeneration, as much as possible. No medication can compensate for that.
SailFastTri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-07-2012, 12:41   #113

Boat: 15 foot Canoe

Quote:
Originally Posted by SailFastTri View Post
medical marijuana? No cure, no cares.

Treating symptoms is never better than curing the cause. Other than injury, previous posts have described ways to AVOID back problems by staying fit. Controlling weight is also important. We're fighting gravity. As we age we need to take an active role in deferring degeneration, as much as possible. No medication can compensate for that.
Yes, agreed!!

Only used the meds when absolutely needed. Now I'm back up to snuff and careful to not injure again. Will make it!

kind regards,