Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-02-2012, 11:18   #1

Locking your Outboard - What is your Technique ?

My Out board was recently stolen and I was curious as to how everyone goes about locking the O.B.. I am located on Oahu so Ob theft is pretty common.

Pura Vida
dofthesea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 11:21   #2

Community Sponsor

Boat: Mahe 36, Helia 44 Evo, MY 37
Re: Locking your Outboard.....what is your technique?

Outboard Motor Lock

Outboard Motor Lock
Cotemar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 11:30   #3
RDW

Boat: Morris 1996 46' Lexington

I have a regular size lock that I put thru the two holes in the handles that tighten the clamps that hold the outboard to the transome or the mounting on the rail. When ashore I have a cable attached to a D ring of the dinghy, thru the outboard, thru the gas tank handle and then around the dock or something on land. The only problem is one good cable cutter gets everything. A good idea is hoisting the dinghy up well out of the water and along side your boat at night. The theory is that it would make a lot of noise to get it.
Hope this might be helpful.
RDW
RDW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 11:35   #4

When it's on the sailboat's transom, I use a bicycle U lock around the cockpit rail. Those U locks are very hard to cut - easier to cut the cockpit rail I think.
MarkSF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 11:38   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by RDW View Post
I have a regular size lock that I put thru the two holes in the handles that tighten the clamps that hold the outboard to the transome or the mounting on the rail. When ashore I have a cable attached to a D ring of the dinghy, thru the outboard, thru the gas tank handle and then around the dock or something on land. The only problem is one good cable cutter gets everything. A good idea is hoisting the dinghy up well out of the water and along side your boat at night. The theory is that it would make a lot of noise to get it.
RDW
DItto, I've found that after a couple of weeks around salt water, even a brass padlock is impossible to get of without a lot of work! Surprised that theives on an island arent caught though......

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 12:09   #6

Boat: Crown 34

I have tried a number of options over the years. Certainly seizing of the lock can be an issue if it is left for too long. I bought an all-stainless lock from Lee Valley Tools a couple of years ago and it has held up very well.

Caution for the U-Bolt style of lock: Apparently it is very easy to pick these with a ball point pen. A quick YouTube search will show you how it is done.

West Marine sells a few different options, with has a wide range of prices...but I do agree with RDW - "inconvenience" to the thief goes a long way. They want to be quick and quiet. If your neighbour has an easier situation, they will tend to leave you alone.

Over the years, I have tried the sliding bar type - it rusted pretty quickly, the U-Bolt type - Bic pen problem, and a heavy duty cable with the stainless padlock - which is where I am at now.
Elysium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 12:39   #7
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

"Those U locks are very hard to cut"
Just beware, a number of locks including one famous batch of Krytonite locks (generally good brand) with "tubular" cylinders on them have been bumped open using a common Bic Biro round pen. Apparently tubular ("Ace") cylinders vary widely in quality.

With any lock near salt water, a monthly shot of McLube or other good lubricant is cheap insurance.
hellosailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 13:18   #8

Boat: Matlack, Trawler, 48 ft

We use an OB motor lock and stow our dink every night.
Old 03-02-2012, 14:21   #9
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: CyberYacht 43

I you could let us know the details of your theft we may be able to offer better advice.

Some of our members have been known to come up with very creative solutions. (not all of them legal...).
Boracay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 14:56   #10

Boat: Hans Christian 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by RDW View Post
RDW

Ditto
ReMetau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 15:46   #11

Boat: CS 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elysium View Post
Caution for the U-Bolt style of lock: Apparently it is very easy to pick these with a ball point pen. A quick YouTube search will show you how it is done.
There are so many varieties of bike locks, I'm sure some have more secure locking mechanisms.

Having a nice shiny new motor may also attract attention. I have a old scruffy canvas cover that covers a old & scruffy OB.
mikefossl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 15:54   #12

Boat: Finnsailer 38

And of course you should make your motor look like crap. I strip off all the stickers and slap on some sort of white paint I have lying around, which pretty soon gets beat up, scratched, and dirty. Underneath, the motor is in perfect shape, but from any distance it doesn't look like one you want to steal.

When it's on the boat and I'm in a suspect area I'll run a length of chain through the motor handle and across the deck, with the ends locked to stanchions or something solid. The handles of the motor are also locked together. Anyone trying to deal with the heavy chain inevitably makes a lot of noise, which chain does on a fiberglass deck.
Old 04-02-2012, 05:32   #13

Arms on OB were locked together and a chain was wrapped around the entire motor then locked to the transom. It seemed like it was pretty secure.
dofthesea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2012, 06:09   #14

Boat: Finnsailer 38

I haven't done it yet, but I've toyed with the idea of writing something on the motor like "Broken, $25." As if the motor was up for sale and doesn't work. That might give a thief pause.
Old 04-02-2012, 06:29   #15

Sail to a civilized island?
daddle is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
outboard