Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 28-12-2011, 19:18   #1

Liveaboard and diabetic

Hi …. I’ve been dreaming of making the break from land to a liveaboard most of my adult life. Recently, the option to make the break has become obtainable, and is no longer just a dream. I have enough monthly income to manage this lifestyle on a budget. My house is for sale it is 535 square feet. During remolding I lived on one side for a year and then the other. For three month I did not have a functioning bathroom. That was a learning curve but I survived. I don’t think living aboard will cost less then I pay now. My house payment is $200.00 Electric is $29.00 Water $10.00 and my property tax is $69.00 a year. I figured the $200.00 a month house payment would go into boat maintenance. I would like to buy something with cash after the house sells. I have been diligently researching a wide variety of boats the last two years and feel 30 to 40 feet is fine for me. The boat would be in the 1980s range because I don’t want payments, and what I have to spend keeps me in that range. I wanted to live aboard in the Caribbean mostly an hook. On the hook because I am a loner. An occasional visitor would be OK. I have one concern that I never find an answer for in the forums and stories. I am an insulin user. Here in the US I can go to clinics for a prescription. So does anyone here have any thoughts about my situation? Are there some islands where I can get insulin and other medical supplies? I don’t want this to be a dream breaker. So if need be I would consider just sailing the East Coast from Maine to the Keys.
moses58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-12-2011, 19:26   #2
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 63 custom alloy sloop,macwester26,prout snowgoose 37 elite catamaran!
Re: Liveaboard and diabetic

you will be pleased to know there are insulin dependent diabetics all over the world these days,well controlled and able to find insulin where ever they travel!
atoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-12-2011, 19:48   #3

Boat: Privilege 39 Catamaran, Exit Only
Re: Liveaboard and diabetic

I don't think you will have a problem getting insulin in any of the usual cruising destinations.

As long as your diabetes is under control, and as long as you don't have uncontrolled hypertension, you should do well with the cruising lifestyle. If you are a brittle diabetic with a propensity for ketoacidosis, then you should have someone with you who knows about diabetes when you are on passage. If you singlehand and your diabetes gets out of whack offshore, you could be in trouble. But if there is someone who can monitor your diabetes in a pinch, you should be fine.

I treat a lot of diabetics in my practice, and the thing that causes the biggest and most common serious problem is infections in the skin that progress to cellulitis. MERSA is particularly a serious problem.

If your diabetes is under control and if you are young, this may be your golden opportunity to go sailing. Later on in life, diabetic complications may limit your ability to cruise and sail offshore.
maxingout is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
liveaboard