Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Seamanship, Navigation & Boat Handling > Health, Safety & Related Gear
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 28-09-2015, 13:50   #1

Boat: Bavaria Cruiser 40
Live aboard in the meds as German... need health insurance

As the title states, I'll soon be living on a boat in the meds and I need a health insurance for that.

Anyone has any pointer? I only have a German passport, so US offers might not work for me.
MonsterJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-09-2015, 13:54   #2

Boat: Woods Mira 35 Catamaran
Re: Live aboard in the meds as German... need health insurance

I was for a while in the Caribbean and had cover from Allianz World Wide Care. Good, but pretty expensive.
So probably not ideal for cruising.
I'm German too.

Sent from my C6603 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
Old 28-09-2015, 13:56   #3

... Hanse-Merkur from Preuss (Preuss Yachtversicherungen - Vermittler fuer Yachtversicherung weltweit).

MUCH cheaper (and better conditions e.g. 8 weeks in Germany / year insured) compared to Hanse-Merkur direct ...

Very satisfied (as a German sailing/working in the Bahamas) so far.

Regards,

Carsten

PS: I am paying EUR 77,- / month with the US included (valid between 18-65 years old)
CarstenWL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-09-2015, 14:25   #4

Hi Carsten, is that for health insurance or for the boat? The website looks like it's just for boats... otherwise 77/m would be great!
Old 28-09-2015, 14:26   #5

... health ...

Preuss Yachtversicherungen - Vermittler fuer Yachtversicherung weltweit - Auslandsreise-Krankenversicherung

Carsten
Old 28-09-2015, 14:34   #6

... you might need to have German residence though (saw in another thread that you gave up your German residence if I am not mistaken?) but call Preuss and ask them.

Carsten
Old 28-09-2015, 18:47   #7

Thanks, good point with the residency. I am technically still registered, however, yes, eventually I won't have that anymore. I'll look into that as well.
Old 02-10-2015, 03:17   #8

Boat: 1 off, Composite, Longkeeler with centrecockpit, Ketch, Launched 1960, 49 ft.

Hi there, there is some more things to consider: are you looking for a "travel"-insurance where they pay for the treatment until you are fit for transport to your homecountry and then the insurance of your home-country continues paying for any further treatment and they are out of the contract? In this case it means you need to keep the original insurance in your homecountry active or at least make a deal with them so they take you back. With many of the travel-type insurances (like ADAC for example) you've got to prolong the contract in person which means flying back, you've got to stay on the move and keep proof of that (a winter-haulout for example means you are not on the move), some of the contracts you can only prolong twice or up to 5 times etc.
The other type of insurance is a full medical insurance with worldwide coverage. Usually your contract prolongs itself if you don't cancel it, usually you have coverage for a limited time in your homecountry, usually it is a bit more expensive than travel-insurance, but with this kind of insurance there is no need for keeping a second insurance in your homecountry active.

For the second type of insurance there exists Allianz worldwide care (via Pantaenius), but also some very interesting Ex-pat insurances. There exists a thread in the Trans-Ocean forum called "krankenversicherung die x-te", in german of course, but it might be interesting for you.

Fair winds
Dody
Dody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2015, 08:41   #9

Boat: Comet 41s

If you are German and cruising on the med you probably will have reciprocate med care on all EU countries on their national health service. For that you have to contact your national health services for a card that will provide that. I have one

"The card ensures that you will get the same access to necessary medical treatment under public sector health care (e.g. a doctor, a pharmacy, a hospital or a health care centre) as nationals of the country you are visiting. If you have to receive medical attention in a country that charges for health care, you will be reimbursed either immediately, or after you go home to your own country. The idea is that you are given the care you need to allow you to continue with your stay."

Frequently Asked Questions about accessing medical treatment in other countries in Europe
Polux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2015, 23:29   #10

Boat: Amel 50

We have EKUZ cards in Poland and works in all EU countries. We have used it in Italy and Greece. In Italy our friend had surgery treatment and we got only one question: if she has EKUZ card?
The problem may arise in not EU countries where it does not work.
Than only extra medical insurance which is offered by almost every reliable insurance company.
Freshman is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
health, health insurance, insurance