Cruisers Forum

View Poll Results: do you plan to have a liferaft on your boat when heading out to cruise?
yes 182 65.23%
no 97 34.77%
Voters: 279. You may not vote on this poll

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 14-10-2011, 13:58   #1
S/V rubber ducky

Boat: Hunter 410
Liferaft: Yes or No

I have come to the decision for me that I don't plan on having a liferaft on my boat.

But I was looking at the Caribbean 1500 requirements and they require it so I guess I never will get to join that big sail south party.

So do you plan on a liferaft?
Old 14-10-2011, 14:04   #2

Boat: Pacific Seacraft Dana 24
When I sailed my Dana from Houston back to England, I also was not going to take liferaft or epirb. My reasoning being if I am out there for my own pleasure why should I expect others to put their lives in danger to rescue me. My wife on the other hand thought differently so I took both.
weshallseeII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-10-2011, 14:08   #3

Boat: Catalina 42 Pacific cruise to Australia
Re: liferaft - yes/no?

Down to personal choice, as always!

I bought a very serviceable one on this site for $1000 'cus I just like to have one onboard, especially for the Pacific Ocean trip I'm about to do.

Bit like insurance really, you hope never to call on it....but when the proverbial hits the fan it's nice to have options!
Jamel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-10-2011, 14:10   #4
RTB

Boat: Hunter 36

I voted no, but we will be cruising from Texas to the Bahamas. I'll take my chances. My dink will have to do, if things go bad....

Regattas have many rules. We had to strip the coating off the lifelines to do the Harvest Moon Regatta.
RTB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-10-2011, 14:20   #5

Boat: Chartercats, Prowlercub, 42'

Why not? You can buy any number of used-unused ocean/solas liferafts for almost nothing on ebay around the world. Inspections must be current on vessels for hire, but not privately owned/not for profit vessels. smaller valise models are no larger than a cooler. I would rather not be adrift in a 3 or 4 meter dinghy if given any choice. Capt'n. T Hanna
Thanna5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-10-2011, 14:39   #6

Boat: CSY 44

"How long can you tread water"?

Have you ever seen a boat on fire? When you need to leave the boat in a hurry, I'd use a life raft if I was only 1/4 mile off shore. I can swim but sure don't want to find out he hard way the I can't swim as far as the shore is! Cheep life insurance and there are plenty of types and prices to choose from for everyone's budget.
RHoodJr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-10-2011, 14:45   #7

I will not go offshore without a liferaft. Or an EPIRB. Or ....

Coastal cruising - not really needed.
jackdale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-10-2011, 14:48   #8

I always agreed that we didn't need either until we had our daughter on board, then I would do anything it took to save her. And so it goes, friends coming? I'd rather not make the choice for them. So we carry everything.
Hannah on 'Rita T' is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-10-2011, 14:51   #9

Boat: Westsail 32

I was on a sailing overnight in the Atlantic in October without a raft, awful cold and lonely out there, not something I would do again without the proper safety equipment. Why stop with just the raft, if you really want to be sporty, no flares, radios, life jackets, etc.

As posted good rafts can be found used for decent prices, if the certification has expired have it recertified, want to know it's going to work when you need it.
cburger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-10-2011, 15:03   #10

Boat: C&C 34 & Sonar One Design

We wrestle with the same issue on our 34' boat. The expense, maintenance and the storage space a liferaft consumes are issues. So's the water temperature of Lake Superior...now at it's warmest running from F 42' - 48'. That's serious shrinkage. And after checking "life-raft" on eBay, there are viable choices at < $500. When we go offshore we will have a liferaft.
Old 14-10-2011, 15:08   #11

Boat: Catfisher 28

There are a lot of reports of boats being abandoned, then found floating later. Crew however in the life-raft are never seen again.
They say you should not get into a life raft unless you have to step up to it.
I think in a crisis they may provide a false 'safe haven' . A temptation for a tired crew. I would not buy one.
scubastu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-10-2011, 15:14   #12
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41

i wont buy one--if i have to leave my home because the coach house is awash and we are sinking, i would rather die than deal with having to be homeless on land. besides, if i do call for help, is easier to see the sunken boat from above than a teensy weensy lil dot of a liferaft. i have had a good life--i helped others for a living. i enjoyed it very much. what i have now is gravy. no, i am not with death wish-- i am with a desire to not HAVE to be cooped up in a place that doesnt move with an unhappy cat who misses his awesome home..
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-10-2011, 15:24   #13

Boat: Catalina 42 Pacific cruise to Australia

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeehag View Post
i wont buy one--if i have to leave my home because the coach house is awash and we are sinking, i would rather die than deal with having to be homeless on land. besides, if i do call for help, is easier to see the sunken boat from above than a teensy weensy lil dot of a liferaft. i have had a good life--i helped others for a living. i enjoyed it very much. what i have now is gravy. no, i am not with death wish-- i am with a desire to not HAVE to be cooped up in a place that doesnt move with an unhappy cat who misses his awesome home..

Zee, you would never be homeless...lot's of good men and true on this site would give you a home onboard.....can you cook Mexican?
Jamel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-10-2011, 15:30   #14

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Moody 31

Don, our liferaft came with the yacht and would have been 23 years old this year. Too old for me so we replaced it earlier this year. They seem quite a bit cheaper this side of the pond. A new basic 4 man raft cost is £560, about $700.

Pete
Pete7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-10-2011, 15:34   #15
S/V rubber ducky

Boat: Hunter 410

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete7 View Post
Don, our liferaft came with the yacht and would have been 23 years old this year. Too old for me so we replaced it earlier this year. They seem quite a bit cheaper this side of the pond. A new basic 4 man raft cost is £560, about $700.

Pete

The cost isn't the reason I don't plan on having one. I consider my wife's and my life worth a lot more than the price of a liferaft.

Tags
liferaft