Cruisers Forum

View Poll Results: do you plan to have a liferaft on your boat when heading out to cruise?
yes 182 65.23%
no 97 34.77%
Voters: 279. You may not vote on this poll

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 28-03-2012, 04:15   #361
Nearly an old salt

Boat: Bavaria 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by psneeld

You are correct for ocean crossing....And correct a dingy is not as capable as a true, GOOD liferaft
....but....For near coastal cruising a dingy may be suitable for 99 percent of the time you need one as many coastal cruisers are never caught in storm conditions. They spend the money on being able to get good forecasts with the money they save on the liferaft.
You can get a coastal liferaft for a lot less then a good dinghy.

Dave
Old 28-03-2012, 04:17   #362
Armchair Bucketeer

Re: Liferaft: Yes or No

Quote:
Originally Posted by psneeld View Post
You are correct for ocean crossing....And correct a dingy is not as capable as a true, GOOD liferaft
....but....For near coastal cruising a dingy may be suitable for 99 percent of the time you need one as many coastal cruisers are never caught in storm conditions. They spend the money on being able to get good forecasts with the money they save on the liferaft.
+1

Given that, even when cruising, that the boat will be moored 80% (add own figure) of the time then a dinghy will suffice 80% of the time. Indeed may also be a better option, as means don't have to slowly drift over the horizon (or call the CG) but can instead propel oneself to shore. In a Marina, even a dink is not usually needed.

With a Competent Skipper onboard (who has adequately crewed the vessel) and the boat has been maintained on more than wishful thinking and ignorance then being overwhelmed by the sea is highly unlikely......even when the weather is not as forecast (or on passage where one cannot pick and choose the weather).

Hitting things marked on a chart or where there is the possibilty of doing so in a non-survivable manner is really a lifestyle choice .

Hitting floating objects or getting hit by them is a risk - but unless getting T-boned at 30 knots by something large then even a hole in your boat can be survivable with a bit of forethought and preparation.

I won't say that Liferaft "Insurance" is the same as Insurance against Alien abduction - but on the same end of the spectrum.........
David_Old_Jersey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-03-2012, 04:54   #363
CLOD

Boat: none

Quote:
Originally Posted by goboatingnow View Post

Dave

Thats because the dinghy is useful
Old 28-03-2012, 05:02   #364

Boat: Albin 40 double cabin Trawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by goboatingnow View Post

Dave
Not where I'm from. My dingy...$100. $300 in mods to make it unsinkable, self bailing and capable of handling 2 kinds of covers (storage and survival shelter when I get around to it)

Find me a $400 liferaft that does a lot more than sit in a canister.
psneeld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-03-2012, 13:45   #365

Location: La Ciudad de la Misión Didacus de Alcalá en Alta California, Virreinato de Nueva España
Boat: Cal 20

Quote:
Originally Posted by sycpuppy View Post
 The reality is probably they will find me in an immersion suit with an EPIRB going while I float around wishing I could afford a dinghy instead of a homemade canoe.
Gumby suits are how we are likely to go.

Have you considered building your own nesting dinghy, or the canoe something you already have? Canoes are great for long distances in relatively flat water, but are a pain to store aboard.
Adelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-03-2012, 14:30   #366

Boat: fj southern ohio sail craft

always have been told stay on the boat unless it is on fire and you can not put it out. If you have no way to cook, heat or engine or other source of heat and your boat will not sink if it is in two or more parts you may not need a raft. Stay with the biggest thing on the top of the water. If it is that bad you may not be able to get the thing out but a slim chance is better than none. Hard work never hurt anyone but why take a chance?
Lou452 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-03-2012, 14:39   #367
Nearly an old salt

Boat: Bavaria 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lou452
always have been told stay on the boat unless it is on fire and you can not put it out. If you have no way to cook, heat or engine or other source of heat and your boat will not sink if it is in two or more parts you may not need a raft. Stay with the biggest thing on the top of the water. If it is that bad you may not be able to get the thing out but a slim chance is better than none. Hard work never hurt anyone but why take a chance?
Like all cliches this is another "truism" . In many cases the interior of yachts can become a missile laden killing danger zone. You cannot apply a generalisation as to when to use a liferaft , all situations are unique to those experiencing it. In the main the advice is right, in specifics it may not be.

Inshore and coastal I don't always carry a raft , offshore yes always, the stuff about dinghies is nonsense by the way. In any heavy weather dinghies will remain upright for about 16nanoseconds. The do not provide a proper survival environment, especially cover from the elements. those reccomending them have simply no idea.

Dave
Old 31-03-2012, 14:45   #368

Boat: Bavaria 37

Strange question indeed... I just buy a new one...
Jacques2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-03-2012, 17:11   #369

Boat: S34 Bob Stewart - 1959 Patiki class. Re--built by me & good mate.

Haven't waded through the posts but my vote to the poll is:
Yes, but only if I can afford it. (last priority) & it will be the cheapest to
pass catorgry 1. So the poll is basically a crok.
I am under no illusions to the protection a life raft will afford in the conditions
I will most probably need it.
I would rather built kevlar storm shutters for every opening & spend on other more important precursors. M2cW.
lateral is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-03-2012, 17:50   #370
CF Adviser

Boat: Van Helleman Schooner 65ft StarGazer

Quote:
Originally Posted by dtj View Post
Pelagic, since you posted 3 videos of a givens life raft I wondered if you know what is going on with them. We bought one after much research and they are no longer manufacturing. We spent quite a bit of money on a six man at a boat show and never received it.
I heard there was a legal patent battle after Jim Givens died, seems you got caught up in that.

How long ago did that happen to you?

It is a shame because it was a very good product in the 90’s, but always under attack by the large manufacturers.

Thanks for the update as I am in the market for a new one
Pelagic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-03-2012, 19:36   #371

Boat: fj southern ohio sail craft

In case someone might not be clear in the tex message above hours ago my vote is for a raft Raft yes
Lou452 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2012, 00:14   #372

Boat: saga kan walker 31ft
Send a message via Skype™ to sctpc
I concede for under 300 I now say yea

Well I just found this 4 person life raft life boat.
Price: $289.00

Detailed introduction to Throw-over inflatable liferaft
Applications: inflatable life rafts are applicable to ships navigating in international and domestic zone. CCS or EC certificate can be provided
Product standard: lt meets the SOLAS 74/96 Amendment and regulation of International Life-saving Equipment, the requirement of life saving equipment amendment suggestion of the MSC.81(70),the MSC.218(82)LSA amendment.
Max storage height: 18-36m

Type/Item A6
Appearance regular octagon regular octagon regular octagon regular octagon regular octagon regular octagon long octagon long octagon long octagon long octagon
Carrying capacity 4
Length×Width
×Height(mm) 2170× 2170×

Appearance 1100×610
Weight≤(Kg/unite) 77.5

What do you guys think? some info I dont understand
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	4013gln_23.jpeg
Views:	125
Size:	11.7 KB
ID:	39362  

sctpc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2012, 01:20   #373

Boat: Jaguar 22 mono called Arfur.

That looks great for the price. It's a big box to store, mine spoilt the rear deck on the 31'cat leaving the cockpit a bit cramped. From that amazing film I really don't want a rubber liferaft that will fall apart under the midday sun. An inflatable twin tube dinghy (permanently foam filled) makes more sense. Add a securely attached two piece mast, and a storm sail for one mast piece, or a proper sail for the full mast height and you start to get a self rescue system that doubles up as a useful shore tender when it has the put-put added. Spare sail makes a sun shade. Add sea anchor(s), grab bag of pocket nav/radio and it's own solar panel etc and it's an ocean rescue package that's more likely to work than the standard yachters life-raft that is only good for a fortnight before water, sunstroke.
Old 01-04-2012, 01:35   #374

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Moody 31
Re: I concede for under 300 I now say yea

Quote:
Originally Posted by sctpc View Post
What do you guys think?
Ye gods, it weighs 77kgs and only takes 4 people, does it have a washing machine and fridge inside?

I think in the heat of the moment it might be too heavy to launch on a small yacht that's bucking about in a storm.

To put it into context our Seago coastal 4 man weighs 24kgs.

Marine Safety

The Ocean safety 4 man offshore raft weights 28kg

http://www.oceansafety.com/images/st..._Datasheet.pdf

Pete
Pete7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2012, 02:38   #375
Pusher of String

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Trisbal 42, Aluminum Cutter Rigged Sloop
Quote:
Originally Posted by sandy daugherty
SO: after all this heavy breathing, chest beating, and fact-flinging, has anybody changed their mind?
I know that those who can't afford a life raft and its maintenance will still not be able to afford them, so it doesn't matter what is said to justify that.
I know that quite a few have the equipment because somebody told them they have to. It doesn't matter what is said to justify that.
It appears that few if any posters started reading this thread with a truly open mind, and left with a huff or feeling they had scored on someone with a different point of view.
So, after 18 pages of flammable rhetoric, did anyone learn something that changed their mind, or has this all been a senseless abuse of innocent electrons?
Like many things in sailing we all cherish and value our own hard fought opinions.

I wonder if we had ten survivors of boat loss on the forum share their opinions, ones wi and without life raft, stories where the life raft inflated and ones where it didn't...I wonder if that would sway anyone's opinions. We have had stats shown to us tho..

Still makes for fun reading.

"You will do foolish things, but do them with enthusiasm."
Sidonie Gabrielle Colette
foolishsailor is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
liferaft