Cruisers Forum

View Poll Results: do you plan to have a liferaft on your boat when heading out to cruise?
yes 182 65.23%
no 97 34.77%
Voters: 279. You may not vote on this poll

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 20-10-2011, 15:06   #136
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Liferaft: Yes or No ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJBrookster View Post
Maybe not, but the point is that survival is a basic instinct, give yourself and any crew every possible chance. I totally agree about not abandoning until the boat is going down and similar points made. Maybe people not carrying them are just trying for the Darwin Awards.

As skipper you are responsible for the safety of your crew. Does "Lifeboats are too dear" sound justifiable? As I'm sure it would not stand up as reasonable care should you survive and your crew not in a court of law.
When I do a delivery with owner crew I make sure the maximum safety gear is on board... thats work.... and its my responsibilty... I take it seriously..
In a cavalier sorta way...
However... what I do solo is my choice and prefered method of survival... you go your way and I'll go mine.
Just coz some of us have different views or expeiences does not make us brainless and careless a*****s...
Well..... maybe after a few beers...

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
boatman61 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 20-10-2011, 15:18   #137

Re: Liferaft: Yes or No ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by capn_billl View Post
You would think so, but swimming in ocean is not easy. I had to rescue two marines last summer in warm Florida water that were only 1/4 mile offshore and nearly drowned. One had the straps break on his snorkal and was no longer able to prevent ingestion of seawater.

Launching a dinghy from that distance, no problem, but I wouldn't try to swim it.
Yeah in no way would I recommend it, but with enough flotation in a regular sea and the clothes you could make it work. Drowning 1/4 mile out is pretty crazy unless they were already seriously exhausted. I've kicked out that far to do scuba dives. Takes forever and is a pain in the ass but if you can keep the water out, stay on your back and kick it's not so bad. Then again I'm in the those big fins.

Dunno; I'd feel somewhat comfortable that distance from shore if I had to abandon a boat. Between cushions, life jackets, exposure clothes, wooden doors and the such it could work. You're within VHF range too.

I guess another aspect is whether you're off a populated shore like Southern California or off some barren wasteland where you might as well be out in the middle of an ocean.
rebel heart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-10-2011, 15:47   #138

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatman61

When I do a delivery with owner crew I make sure the maximum safety gear is on board... thats work.... and its my responsibilty... I take it seriously..
In a cavalier sorta way...
However... what I do solo is my choice and prefered method of survival... you go your way and I'll go mine.
Just coz some of us have different views or expeiences does not make us brainless and careless ********...
Well..... maybe after a few beers...
No offence meant. Solo = own life own chances by choices, subject to family possibly left behind and possible life insurance issues etc...etc.
DJBrookster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-10-2011, 15:59   #139
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Liferaft: Yes or No ?

Quote:
No offence meant. Solo = own life own chances by choices, subject to family possibly left behind and possible life insurance issues etc...etc.
Zero on all counts...
Aint life grand...

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
boatman61 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 20-10-2011, 22:30   #140

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: We're technically refugees from our home in Yemen now living in Lebenon
Boat: 1978 CT48

Quote:
Originally Posted by rebel heart View Post
Yeah in no way would I recommend it, but with enough flotation in a regular sea and the clothes you could make it work. Drowning 1/4 mile out is pretty crazy unless they were already seriously exhausted. I've kicked out that far to do scuba dives. Takes forever and is a pain in the ass but if you can keep the water out, stay on your back and kick it's not so bad. Then again I'm in the those big fins.

Dunno; I'd feel somewhat comfortable that distance from shore if I had to abandon a boat. Between cushions, life jackets, exposure clothes, wooden doors and the such it could work. You're within VHF range too.

I guess another aspect is whether you're off a populated shore like Southern California or off some barren wasteland where you might as well be out in the middle of an ocean.
And when dark is upon you...and boats that cant see you....?
James S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-10-2011, 22:38   #141

Boat: 11meter Power catamaran

Some are just more comfortable in the water than other particually somone with a strong swimming or freediving background.

Equally many sailers /boaters are uncomfortable with their abilities in the water.

That being said nobody wants or plans to be in the water because their vessel has sunk.

We must all however consider and plan for that possibility and it is one of the advantages of a foam catamaran.
downunder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-10-2011, 01:05   #142

Boat: saga kan walker 31ft
Send a message via Skype™ to sctpc

Quote:
Originally Posted by norsearayder View Post
i have 2 survival suits,raft[inspected]
I find it hard to put on one. But seriously It takes a good 5 mins to put on so not a quick think to use in an emergency and have you ever tried to put it on in a rolling sea? I would bet not. so unless you always have one on I would not count on it in a emergency.

But there great when it cold an wet.

sctpc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-10-2011, 01:53   #143

Boat: M/V Carquinez Coot

From what you guys say, liferafts won't inflate or will deflate in the majority of cases, making it sound they are a big waste of money.

Too bad lifeboats aren't a practical option for us pleasure boaters.

Old 21-10-2011, 03:10   #144

Boat: Bollard Steel 40ft - Lady Kara
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minggat

However, it can be a deady choice because it can give a false sense of security. Hence the conversation about alternative LIFE BOATS.

Go here.
http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...dgy-17192.html

Certainly not a life RAFT, but one alternative life BOAT
I like this idea. No worries about not inflating. Has anyone got one, used one or seen one east coast of Oz? Legal here?
Coachbolt61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-10-2011, 03:37   #145

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 36CC, now sold

If we could put a lid on our RIB on the top deck of our trawler, that is what we have got.
Robin3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-10-2011, 06:33   #146

Boat: a sailing boat

Quote:
(...) not in a court of law.
Only in a country that has a regulation that requires pleasure craft to carry one!

As you noted from my above posts: I am all FOR having one, mildly AGAINST being required by the law to carry one.

This is because I know many sailors who did long ocean passages without liferafts as well as sailors who cannot afford one.

There are alternatives to liferafts in any case - a hard dinghy, an inflatable dinghy, etc.. They may offer less protection, true, but at least they can be navigated towards the nearest land - try this with a liferaft ...

b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-10-2011, 08:21   #147

Boat: Boereal 44

Quote:
Originally Posted by markpierce View Post
From what you guys say, liferafts won't inflate or will deflate in the majority of cases, making it sound they are a big waste of money.

Too bad lifeboats aren't a practical option for us pleasure boaters.

But they do work and most of the time if properly taken care of.
stevewrye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-10-2011, 08:31   #148

Boat: a sailing boat

Yup. The ones we used for training all opened up and inflated properly. Old stuff and pretty beaten up. Can't see why a new unit would not.

I have only ever heard of one case where a pdf did not. Why would liferafts be less dependable?

b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-10-2011, 09:21   #149
Armchair Bucketeer

One of my Father's boats was a lifeboat. Top that

100 were made for a Liner (in the 60's) that never got built. Fairey Marine converted them to Motor Sailors, with the emphasis heavily on Motor for actually getting any where

But would chug through just about any weather / sea state. could roll like a pig though

No liferaft of course (70's).......but a bit more Nav Aids than when Father started - ex-RAF box compass, a chart from 1962 (still have and still use!)....and a pencil (long gone ).
David_Old_Jersey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-10-2011, 11:53   #150

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: We're technically refugees from our home in Yemen now living in Lebenon
Boat: 1978 CT48

Neat looking little boat...what was the length?
James S is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
liferaft